Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Asking Permission, 2 no and 2 yes

mattockman

The no's have old coins in them, I will almost bet Bob's paycheck on it.

So I went to first field, and I got lucky on which way I hunted first. It turned out it was they only area holding old coins and buttons and buckle.

First thing I noticed, iron was present. Thats a good sign for human habitat.
also pieces of old brick another good sign for house and humans.
Tall grass was making iron sound good, so I had to stomp down tall grass and made them solid iron audio. First coin was the 1804 half cent. It looked great, until I tried to clean it. Next coin was King George III, no date...then found a large button.....scanned area, found another disc...turned out to be KG III half pence you can see no date but the KG III are dated between 1770-1775, then a black thing with hole in center....I thought maybe an old button, but now I think it is another old coin cause of its weight and looking at the KG III other coin it has same black finish and then went on an exploritory walk-about....found most of field to be turned or filled...pepsi can at a foot.....one small button in other end of field....sun went down.....there are 5 other fields around this so I found out owner and will ask for permission latter.

Next day I couldn't get a hold of owners so I went back to same field. It turned out I missed a few. Found 5 more LARGE Buttons a buckle and something else?.....then another KG III Half pence...no date....nature called and bee lined for the woods....and right behind a big tree I go a solid quarter hit....it was only and inch deep....it looked the same size as the 1/2 pences but had a rough finish like a slug or something...after cleaning it it showed no improvement at all so I said what the heck...light sandpaper...and thats when I saw copper and a faint image of a head facing left and on back an arm holding something...I am gonna guess a KG II cause it is facing left....those were minted between 1729-1754....lots of counterfeits are know in the halfpence world.

I will almost bet Bob's Paycheck I got it all but I won't.
The other fields I did do after getting permission but found them to be at least a foot of fill easy.....nothing old but a harmonica reed.....I am gonna keep on asking for permission and maybe find another hot spot like the first field....digging old copper is fun but 1 out of 50 is in good condition...

Heres a few pics...will have to post a few times to get all pics in....

[attachment 109937 P10108291.JPG] Here is the back of it...notice the arm on the left holding something?[attachment 109935 P10108281.JPG] This is the one I found an inch deep in pines....see the copper and the head facing left?

The last 2 pics of the black hole (I call it) I beleive is a coin and not a button gone bad....I wonder what it was???? Mystery coin!

Looking at the size in relation to the object I am going with the theory of an old shank that has rusted thru and off and am leaning towards button of some type. Regardless those are some very old British Coppers you have found on these fields and my hat is off to you. Getting permission is a wonderful thing but getting none is the pitts and when ever I do I for some reason always feel as some type of a begger but shouldn't. Nice finds Mattockman and doubt if you'll get to bet Bob's check but will get his compliments anyway.

HH John

Here is a link to go to if you want to see what a KG II or III half pence is suppose to look like....#42 for KG II and #43 for KG III and of course you can go to coinfacts.com to see 1804 half cent good pic

That was my first thought.....Button.....But the black smooth surface and the weight of it feels more like a coin to me....we will never know for sure....thanks for looking and the comments....it was a very nice first british coin days for me and I hope to find more that look a little better than these....I live in a very old area and just need permission to the privately owned property to get them...no more mister shy guy!....cheers! :cheers: It's a bloody old coin factory out there! :devil:

Sweet Finds. I hope you aren't talking about my paycheck:yikes:

One thing I do know is that if you don't ask, the answer is always NO. People need to realize that they have nothing to lose by asking permission. The result is always either neutral or positive. either you will not get to hunt what you haven't been able to hunt before or you will.

There is an awesome book on sales called "Go for NO" Those who hear the most no's make the most sales because they are always getting the most yes's too. Why? because they have talked to the most people. The yes's will come between the no's. in our case, those who hear the most no's will have more places to hunt.

Congrats.

Bob Kononiuk

What a great bunch of old coppers and buttons.I look for that stuff all the time. I just love seeing it no matter what shape it's in.Great post mattockman.GR
I just know there is more..I'll bet Bobs paycheck on it.

mattockman said:
http://www.ukcoinpics.co.uk/index.html

http://www.coinfacts.com/

Some nice links mattockman. I bookmarked them.

Those old coppers are awesome Doug. I don't care about condition...those are just flat out cool to see. I definately don't see anything like them in my little podunk town parks:rolleyes: VERY nice finds :cheers:

Those are cool to see mattockman. I have a cabin site where some old coins come out sometimes but not like those you found. I have never seen that type of stuff.:thumbup: