Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

At last - I found the elusive Barber!

akelley

Last week I had the pleasure of hunting with a couple E-Trac users at Golden Gate Park (GGP). It was great fun and I really appreciate their hospitality. I did ok that day, with a nice Mills Novelty Slot Machine Token, a silver war nickel (1943 D), a 1957 English Half Penny, and a few wheat cents. But these are nothing compared to my fellow E-Trac hunting buddies whom both brought home silver that day. On top of having a great time, these guys helped me to tune my E-Trac settings to better find the deep silver, which can often be 8"+ in the parts of GGP where we're hunting. And boy did these changes pay off . . .

Being a rookie E-Trac user, my goal has been to find at least one Barber coin before the end of the year. So on Friday I headed back to GGP and using my modified settings I searched around an area of the park that's old enough to find Barbers. Within less than an hour I had my very first Barber in my hand that was buried about 6" deep - a 1899 S Barber dime which is my oldest coin to date. I also found a couple pieces to a necklace that were ~20 feet apart from each other. I'm not sure the stones are real, and the back appears to be silver plated, but nice finds just the same.

I raised my threshold tone to 19 to mimic the Explorer's warble sound when it hits silver, ran manual sensitivity 27, set gain to 30, and added a couple points to my disc pattern (01-02/28-40, 01-02/46-50) to help minimize iron falsing. Another big takeaway from them was that my volume was too high on my headphones. With all the deep iron and occasional EMI chatter, after an hour or so, too high volume in your headphones makes it difficult to concentrate on the deep, high tone silver signals. So I turned down the volume on my headphones by two notches, so that my threshold was barely audible. With my gain set at 30, I'm confident that I'm still going to hear the deep, iffy signals as long as I'm running a high enough sensitivity.

I hope these settings will help you find more silver. PM me if you would like more detail.

Happy hunting to everyone this week!

-Alex

Good job Alex !

Congrats on finding that Barber, Alex! Very cool. Do you know where the Veteran's Hospital is? I believe it's very close to the bridge. 21 years ago I was offered a job there by a military buddy. Actually, I have two buddies who work there. But I chose to stay in Ohio because everybody knows California is going to drop off into the sea. :lol: Just kidding. Actually my wife was born and raised here and that's why we stayed.

Hey Dan,
Thanks! Yes the VA Hospital is near the Golden Gate Bridge. Too bad you're not out here, cause I'm sure I'd enjoy hunting with you. :twodetecting: Take care, and continued good luck at Mercury Dime Park :biggrin:

-Alex