Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Audio Threshold Pitch Tone Question

I have been following the forums and noticed that alot of the UK programs and a few other programs recommend using Pitchhold Tone of 1. What is the reasoning behind this? Isnt threshold pitch just based on presonal preference?

Also what threshold pitch is everyone else using?

I have been using 19 as recommended by a few of the other E-Trac users as it makes the tones most sound like the Explorer SE.

Just trying to get a better understanding on this setting

Thanks,
Wheresthegoodstuff

pitch hold 1 is a very low freq. tone its one that is lower than any audio target response would be . could make objects stand out .....

I'm using 19 now for the same reason. Sounds more like the old XS I had. I think we need Jim Pugh to give us a good technical synopsis on "Threshold Pitch". Where are you at Jim?

I'm also using threshold pitch of 19. I guess the guys with pitch at 1 want silver coins to sound like nickels.
Good luck with your E-trac Steven.
HH,
MT

Hi Lads

Lowering the Threshold Tone lowers the sound of low conductors in Conduct mode and the iron tone in ferrous mode. In the UK it has been the way with the Explorer ranges to use the Threshold tone very low so that when you go over a deep hammered silver coin or fraction of it you get a good low buzz which is unmistakable. When lowered it also lowers the higher tones untill you raise the limits to higher them

HH

Toddy

Thanks Toddy,
Helps alot, I might give it a try just to hear what it sounds like.

Did you guys also use this same setting on the explorer?

Wheresthegoodstuff

i don't speak for everyone but I have used the Conduct mode since the first Explorer came out. I don't take credit for it I just adapted Russel Fergies settings from the original UK Explorers.

main thing I see here is the ability to fine tune your targeted (target group) sound

one should be careful here ......you can end up relearning all your Dig - No Dig signals

in conductive you can change the high end from a sweet sound (personal choice for every one) to a sound that sounds like someone scratching glass...

I like the stock setting that is what i started out the gate with ...I have tweaked it a little to emulate my older Minelabs .....

I have played with ferrous 4 tones and i will say in ferrous this threshold pitch helps to find a setting that All Metal (full screen) is tolerable and easy to use in a site where all non ferrous

targets are sought and even a few big ferrous targets such as cannon balls and flintlocks....

for majority of my hunting i stick pretty much with my past POSTED settings and keep a quick mask screen available on the fly which has a simple 26-34 open ferrous bottom line which i can

change quickly....This works great for 99 percent of my hunting and the ferrous mode when for the rest when i need to hunker down...

I have tried Neal's e-trac program which is used in Great Britain......They have hammered coins that at one time use to be worth a 1000 sterling a pop .....in my mind i believe the E-trac

was aimed more at this market and Europe.....just telling it the way i see it....any way the hammies do not read like common coins .....I have some real nice ones that a friend(who lives and

hunts in England) gave me 18 years ago along with a nice Adrians Wall silver Roman coin .......anyway in my mind it is as IF we yanks made a program that was made to seek out 3 cent

silver and half dimes ........It is a very wild unstable program but makes a grunt on hammies.... I think "Iron GROG" makes some programs that are easier to slowly work your way up to speed

or stay at one you like .....this where i first notice users making aggressive threshold pitch settings.......I hope i got everyones handles right (names)......But for me I kind of agree with

"JCexplorer" on the threshold pitch setting for the way I hunt ...... 19......

Happy Trails
Jim Pugh

I have played with ferrous 4 tones and i will say in ferrous this threshold pitch helps to find a setting that All Metal (full screen) is tolerable and easy to use in a site where all non ferrous

targets are sought and even a few big ferrous targets such as cannon balls and flintlocks....

Do you like threshold pitch 19 for the above setting? I use TP 19 on everything. I am going to try some tweaking for 4 tone ferrous. I always use 2 tone when I use ferrous tones. It seems to false less to me in 2 tone. Does changing the T-pitch help with that?

I usually use the relic pattern no matter where I am. If I am hunting coins I will use conduscive and multi tones. If I am hunting relics i'll usually use ferrous and 2 tones. Of course if there is a lot of trash I adjust the pattern but usually I use a minimum of disc and sort through it with my ears.

My main question is about using 4 tone ferrous... I have not warmed up to 4 tones. Maybe I am missing something.

Thanks,

Julien

i think last time i tried 4 tone ferrous TP (threshold pitch) #1 seems like this would be good to play around with which is tied to context you quoted me on,,,,I hope that clears that up quess i should start writing myself notes .......hope this helps just remember if you get lost ...or to get back to square one ....you can always do a NORMAL reboot....

the iron making a real low sound does not seem so nerve racking or obtrusive.......between the variability and TP you have room to find your own magic setting!

Happy Trails
Jim Pugh

Thanks Jim, I have been hunting in the basic coin setup w/ a few small changes such as the TP to 19. Today I hunted a civil war area and did pretty good. (Coin setup used) When I sweep over a nulled out signal, I switch to QM to determine the size, make up, dig no dig, etc.. of the target. I found a few shell frags this way today. Could I be doing this a better way? Thanks.

I max variability, conductive sounds ,multi,difficult ground ,high Trash,deep on ,fast off,threshold pitch 19......I usually run 27manual and will bump it up 30 in a nice Dated coin spill area ...

keep in mind that i am very quick at jumping between auto +3 and Manual........i am also very fast to hit my Quick mask and switch between all of them with out thinking about it ......and I am

very confident in Quick Mask as well as the Other revolving Doors.....Easier there may be .....but better I doubt it.... sounds like you have it down well.....I will say my cannon balls or shells will not

hit well in the coin mode QM is where to get them or an adjusted coin pattern.....off the top of my head 26 - 46 I have them written down somewhere so own my QM i run with 27-34 ferrous

whited out or open....Hope this makes since Guys.... have a few nice finds i need to post up........... Hard to believe today was me and my E_trac's 3rd month anniversary !!!

Will have to take a Goodies picture.......when i aint swinging my Trac...

Happy Trails
Jim Pugh

I think whatever you have been reading is meant to be at "1" in threshold pitch only. You do not have a PITCH HOLD at one. Its just , a setting you are in @ " Pitch hold". Like Ferrous is in " Ferrous ", and Conduct is in " Conduct."
The Threshold pitch is the Amount of tone Variation you can receive . On the E trac its a bit confusing because ONE (1) is the most varied amount of pitch signal variation you have where as thirty (30) is the Least variation you can have.
One (1) is now recognized as the recommended setting to have to have the most pitches to hear coming through..

Jeb NWR said:
I think whatever you have been reading is meant to be at "1" in threshold pitch only. You do not have a PITCH HOLD at one. Its just , a setting you are in @ " Pitch hold". Like Ferrous is in " Ferrous ", and Conduct is in " Conduct."
The Threshold pitch is the Amount of tone Variation you can receive . On the E trac its a bit confusing because ONE (1) is the most varied amount of pitch signal variation you have where as thirty (30) is the Least variation you can have.
One (1) is now recognized as the recommended setting to have to have the most pitches to hear coming through..
But having your threshold pitch at 1 makes all the signals a low sound with not much variance to me. Almost all sound like nickels. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Gary

Gary, you are not doing anything wrong... I kindly will disagree with Jeb and a couple of others that state ''Threshold pitch is the Amount of tone Variation you can receive...One (1) is now recognized as the recommended setting to have to have the most pitches to hear coming through....''. Threshold Pitch has a direct affect on the tones you hear.... Set it low (1) and your targets will have variability, but no more variability in frequency range then setting your threshold pitch to (30). At 30, your targets will respond with a much higher frequency, but the actual amount of tone variation is controlled solely by variability and limits. Hope this helps,
Regards,
Keith
unearth said:
Jeb NWR said:
But having your threshold pitch at 1 makes all the signals a low sound with not much variance to me. Almost all sound like nickels. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Gary

Yes you are right... I had assumed the high pitch remained static and only the low tones altered when lowering the pitch... When in fact: the threshold pitch shifts the whole frequency range up and down but doesn't increase (or decrease) variation.

Hello there Ironhearted Gog, I'm guessing your much sought after hammies are a low reading/sounding critters;
and that by shifting your threshold tone down to 1 gives you a lower tone on your small hammies, iron and other lower conductive targets...

A setting of 30 variability gives us the maximum possible range of sounds ~ from the lowest iron, ~ and other low conductors; to the highest ~ silvers, and coppers.

We hunters are all seeking different "game" in different countries all over this planet, at the same time we are all hunting in different environments...
We don't have hammies down here in Australia, and I guess we are looking for pretty much the same types of coins our brothers in the U.S.A are after.

So far I personally like a threshold tone of 15 on my E Trac, ~ very early days for me, but air testing Aussie coinage at a setting of 15 to me sounds pretty good ...
I have also kept the habit from my SE by running with "pitch hold."

I like the widest range of sounds I can get,( I don't worry so much with digital numbers...)

BUT ~ I have a look at what the numbers are if the target "sounds" pretty good,
but is sitting in a slightly "off" position on the smart find screen ( in respect to its actual sound.):detecting: