Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Avon

tab-nabit

Avon? - I didn't know Avon made jewelery - must be low end fashion stuff (I guess) - I recall Avon for all kinds of smelly juice and the different bottles that some folks collected - oh well, this one is in trashed shape. Was a little surprised to see "AVON" on it after some cleaning - but no big deal.
The pic of the analyze display was done at home after yesterday evening hunt as I haven't been taking a camera with me. Actually after I got home, I couldn't remember how it read on the display. Oh well - was on the chilly side this morning and not up to detecting right now so thought I'd post and drink coffee before I start moving myself.
[attachment 128924 AVONVDI.JPG] [attachment 128925 AVON.JPG] [attachment 128926 IMG_0336.JPG] [attachment 128928 IMG_0337.JPG] [attachment 128929 IMG_0339.JPG]

AVON CALLING :rofl: . Yeah my wife used to sell all kinds of Avon stuff and women loved all that (fake) jewlery and stuff. HH floridason

It looked to be gold to me - if so, probably 10k plating - it sure wasn't all corroded up when I dug it up. I didn't keep it.

It didn't look to be an expensive piece. I was just surprised that it said AVON on it. I hope it was fake - I didn't keep it.
I have found fishing lures that looked like it would bring in a better dollar:detecting:

When buying scrap gold, the Avon and Monet stuff takes a second look because it does look good. For fashion jewelry...it is quality stuff.

Lowest end stuff is more like it. They liked the term "gold filled" and "gold plated". Very inexpensive stuff at the time....... in the early eighties.

It might just be my imagination, but didn't Avon have a lifetime guarantee on their jewelery?

digitrich said:
Lowest end stuff is more like it. They liked the term "gold filled" and "gold plated". Very inexpensive stuff at the time....... in the early eighties.

Believe me...."low end" is much further down the "visually appealing" scale. Actually, gold filled is in a different league from the cheaper "plated" stuff.
If you are talking just intrinsic value alone, we buy G.F. at sterling. Plate borders on not worth the effort, but we still run it through the gold recovery process anyway.

With the value of gold what it is today, I wouldn't toss a gold filled anything away. I just never saw the purpose of "gold filled". It just might be to give the item more weight. If the gold is inside, you can't see it and because it is not on the outside you no longer have it's non-allergic benefits. I just remember being a kid and thinking, what a hose.

It is NOT inside:

>>Gold-filled jewelry is composed of a solid layer of gold bonded with heat and pressure to a base metal such as brass. Some high quality gold-filled pieces have the look, luster, and beauty of 14 karat (58%) gold.<<

Jerry

Yes, gold filled is not just another version of "mixed alloy". We paw through a lot of it and the difference between plate and filled is really apparent in how long it holds up to wear and how real it looks. Gold filled can even have a higher quality look than a lot of the 14k coming off of QVC. (Even though it is stamped and is the real deal, it can have a cast and plated look.) Lesser gold filled turns an antiquey brown cast of color. While the better, thickly bonded pieces look dead on 14k. Old watch cases,pocket watches and lockets tend to be like this. Save it all as recovery technologies are advancing rapidly.