Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Back to the old barracks…..

Ronstar

Last winter jkline and I got permission to detect a large apartment complex and we did get some silver coins, rings, and military buttons. It was cold and some snow then, haven’t really been back as hotter than hades here for awhile and severe draught. One small area I had hit produced three wheats, a couple clad, but no silver. Where there is wheat there is silver……..
Went to that spot this morning early to escape midmorning heat. Not even 10’ into the start and I pop out a ‘53S wheat. Made it another 20’ and up jumps a ‘51S Rosie!! I knew it!!!!!! Turn around and head back as I’m basically gridding but nothing. Make the turn and get a couple feet and get choppy nickel/tab bounce, more nickel than tab so dig. ‘44D nickel!!!! Ok whoopy dingy!!!!! Nothing after that……
Ok, gonna run 90 degree to original path now. Second leg of grid I pop up a ‘27D wheat!!! Where was that the first sweep? No more than 5’ from the dime, dang. Keep on the grid and dig a few signals that ended up junk and getting close to end of course. I was just about out and thinking about heading home, kablam! Quarter signal loud and clear! Not more than 3’ from the 53 wheat, I just stood there and was dissecting what was happening. This signal was right at the point I was doing my 180 to go the other way the first time. Dig and up comes a ‘53S quarter.
Jeff and I both have been over this area a couple times and how did we miss these? The quarter was at a slant so theoretically it could have been an “on edge” angle at the turn. When I changed angle it would have been more flat and the signal just rocked the headphones.
3 silver, 2 memorials, a hand full of zincs and another hand full of tabs. But 0 clad today!

Attachments

• 347CA055-149E-47E5-93A4-DD2F90CEA08D.jpeg
    347CA055-149E-47E5-93A4-DD2F90CEA08D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
I just realized I just did something unique…… I scored the quadfecta of small change classic coin finds! A wheat, a war nickel, a Rosie, and a silver Jefferson! AND NO CLAD!!! I’ve never done that and not sure I’ve ever read that as well.

Now that’s a fantastic day of hunting!!

Hunting the area at a 90 degree was a good idea Ronstar. It's nice that you found silver and wheats in the dry ground. Good hunting.

Good thing I didnt find an old time slug. Probably would have called it a Biden…….😂😂

Jeff and I got back at it this morning to see what else we could scare up. I took the F5 with the 5” factory coil, found a ‘69 nickel I missed and a big ol Schlage key. Spent probably two hours crawling over that area then moved off to the side and dug some Memorials and one quarter. Caught up with Jeff on the other side and he was having moderate success with wheats and moderns.
I walked across the street and hit two clad dimes right off at 3” and then a dime signal at 2”, used the trowel to cut a shallow plug and out pops a 1936 Mercury dime!!! A few feet away I also dug a 1949S wheat so my day didnt turn out all that bad, $1.90 in clad and 13 Memorials. Done now.

Jeff and I got back at it this morning to see what else we could scare up. I took the F5 with the 5” factory coil, found a ‘69 nickel I missed and a big ol Schlage key. Spent probably two hours crawling over that area then moved off to the side and dug some Memorials and one quarter. Caught up with Jeff on the other side and he was having moderate success with wheats and moderns.
I walked across the street and hit two clad dimes right off at 3” and then a dime signal at 2”, used the trowel to cut a shallow plug and out pops a 1936 Mercury dime!!! A few feet away I also dug a 1949S wheat so my day didnt turn out all that bad, $1.90 in clad and 13 Memorials. Done now.
3 inches , 2 inches...........You are very lucky to find coins in any area especially wheats and silver that shallow....I would call that a nice easy stroll hunt.

That complex has given up some very nice finds…. Keep hitting it.
No idea how they were missed on past hunts, but goes to show we all miss targets.
I know I have.
I have experienced that for a long time. In the early 80's while in the USN my Roommate and I used to hunt a Parade Field next to our Barracks. We covered that entire field multiple times but every hunt yielded new finds.

I personally think there's 360° of variability over any given target, deep or shallow. Smart hunting on your part changing up the " angle of attack". Congrats on your pile of keepers!