Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Barber, Vs & Indians / Old Navy Button / Sheriffs pin badge / 1930s Tootsie Toy

floodplaindetector

Finds are from a few weekend hunts since my last post. All finds were found at researched public sites with my XP Deus 2 metal detector.
Just about all finds were pulled from the Dakotas with one hunt being in Minnesota.

A surprise find was that old 4-inch tootsie toy car on Sunday. It was a larger signal in the penny range so I thought it may be a can or large screwcap but was glad I dug it. It is a 1938 Buick Roadster.
Another surprise find was that Sheriff's pin badge. It was only about 3 inches deep and was pulled by a Minnesota school.

The Older navy button was 9+ inches deep and was within a few feet of an 1899 Indian. The back is ripped off, so I have no information from that. I welcome opinions on what it is as I am no button expert.
Another find I am looking for opinions on is that big old gauge with the 1881 patent date as well as the 'FINCH' button. Both of those were pulled from an old school site.

One of the parks I researched in South Dakota, had a bit of area and surprisingly I had never detected it before. When I first started hunting it, I could tell it had been pounded as I was having trouble even getting a diggable signal.
I kept at for a bit and had faith in my machine and how hot I am able to run it and ran into a small area that had some very deep coins. See picture with the thimble, Indians, nickels in my hand. The gold-plated pin was found in the same area.
No silver in that park but most every coin there was 1919 or earlier and the nickels are back to 1883. Coins from that junky area were about 9-12 inches. That was a fun Saturday Morning hunt. I got the 1897 dime later that day, so it was a fun day.

I actually have something negative to say about my XP Deus 2 detector. My remote head started falling off and I didn't realize one of the plastic clasps were broke that attaches it to the shaft. I was at a park, and I lost my signal and looked down.
and realized the remote head had fallen off. There was a little snow on the ground then and I had to back track my route and was lucky to find it as the light was getting low. I have since repaired the part and now tether the remote to the shaft. A very minor issue as far as I am concerned.
As always thanks for looking!
Dave

Coin Finds
1936 quarter
7 dimes back to 1897
1943,1945 silver war nickels
4 V nickels back to 1883
3 Buffalo nickels back to 1919
6 Indian head pennies back to 1899
Not pictured 51 wheat pennies back to 1909
6 Jefferson nickels from 1940s-50s.

Other Finds
Minnesota Sheriffs pin/badge
4-inch tootsie toy car (1938 Buick Roadster)
small 1950s tootsie toy race car
'Peters Weatherbird Shoes' makeup compact (1907-1932)
Industrial life and health insurance advertising thimble
Disabled Veteran bracelet piece
Religious Pins
'Dixie' ring. Probably 1960s.
Sterling silver ring with missing stone and couple other misc. rings.
Gold plated older pin with dark stone
Martin Van Burren presidential coin
Older navy button and other misc. buttons
Old gauge item with 1881 patent date
Padlock
Part of crotal bell (very shiny. Maybe tombac)
Old spoon bowl
Storm 'Mount Vernon' lighter
Couple older lipstick cases
Few suspender pieces
Pressed penny with rodeo design
OldNavyButton.jpg
SilverCoins.jpg
IndiansAndNickels.jpg
SheriffPin.jpg
1938ChryslerTootsieToy.jpg
LargeTootsieToySide.jpg
Buttons.jpg
SaturdayMorningSDParkHuntFinds.jpg
GroupShot.jpg
Jewelry.jpg

Super eclectic treasures!!!! Was the word before sheriff scratched out or did you do that for whatever reason? Just curious….. also judging by the size I believe its s lapel pin????

Good hunting Dave, again.

You just proved the area up here in the tri states there is a lot to be found, just take some research with a good detector and learning how to use it with time and patience. If you had anyone stop by and talk to you I bet many will say you wont find much as many detector have been over it so there is nothing left, some are also those that have a detector them self and didn't find much. I had a guy down in MN lake area at what was once a old school ask what I was looking for, told him old coins and was told he knew over a hundred detectors been over it so nothing left. I pull out of my pocket several merc and some wheaties I had just dug and couldn't believe they had been missed for as many that been over the area.
When I was selling some detectors one of the things I told those interested if they have the patience to go out and go all day with a few new coins and get back up the next day and do this again and not get much either and still ready to go out again then detecting is for you.. Lost a few sales as many thought they can find good stuff right away and make money to support the hobby , which is possible, but not probable and has been done. There was one guy that would call me at least 2 times a month and ask me if any new detector came out that would only get gold coins and rings but no trash yet, told him he found one let me know as I know I could sell thousand of them as nothing at this time and could sell them all in a weeks time. I know Dave has paid his dues with all the research and the time to fully understand his detector he is using to do this well as several others have been too.
I love to see people find finds and post them to give others what can be found with some research and patience and getting out to use their detectors and to see what is still left out there to be found.

Good luck on your next hunt Dave, be expecting to see what your next hunt will come up with.

Rick

Once again a great batch of finds. I am amazed at how nice a conditions they are in. Thanks for Posting.

Nice finds Dave and I have my remote tied to the shaft with the lanyard that comes with it I drilled a tiny hole in the plastic
where the top clamp is to attach the lanyard just in case.
Its great to hit a old school and find some silver I look at it as a challenge work the edges the woods around them especially with D2 and the 9"
Mark

Last edited:
thanks Rick, appreciate the comments.
Yes, this is a hobby where you really need a lot of patience, and you can't always expect to find something but
take it when it comes.
Many times, just hitting 1 coin will lead to another.
Dave

Dave
Good hunting Dave, again.

You just proved the area up here in the tri states there is a lot to be found, just take some research with a good detector and learning how to use it with time and patience. If you had anyone stop by and talk to you I bet many will say you wont find much as many detector have been over it so there is nothing left, some are also those that have a detector them self and didn't find much. I had a guy down in MN lake area at what was once a old school ask what I was looking for, told him old coins and was told he knew over a hundred detectors been over it so nothing left. I pull out of my pocket several merc and some wheaties I had just dug and couldn't believe they had been missed for as many that been over the area.
When I was selling some detectors one of the things I told those interested if they have the patience to go out and go all day with a few new coins and get back up the next day and do this again and not get much either and still ready to go out again then detecting is for you.. Lost a few sales as many thought they can find good stuff right away and make money to support the hobby , which is possible, but not probable and has been done. There was one guy that would call me at least 2 times a month and ask me if any new detector came out that would only get gold coins and rings but no trash yet, told him he found one let me know as I know I could sell thousand of them as nothing at this time and could sell them all in a weeks time. I know Dave has paid his dues with all the research and the time to fully understand his detector he is using to do this well as several others have been too.
I love to see people find finds and post them to give others what can be found with some research and patience and getting out to use their detectors and to see what is still left out there to be found.

Good luck on your next hunt Dave, be expecting to see what your next hunt will come up with.

Rick

Agree, poor design on that.
I just ordered a new attachment part and installed it on the top of the shaft. I have a remote cover with a small loop on it, so I tied an elastic string to that and the shaft.
Now, I just leave the remote on the shaft all the time.
I know they make aftermarket parts that lock the remote and some that enclose the remote.
I have the same problem with the remote unit. I dare not take it off the stick. Stupid, cheap design for such an expensive detector. Sure, not as bad as the nox 800, but...

How did you fixt it?