Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Battery charging

Well has anyone used there wall phone charging adapter with the usb connector? Have a LG connector that says outputs 5.1v .7amp.

it will charge the detector, but will take almost three times as long as the recommended charger that is rated at 2Amps plus it may not fully charge the detector depending on its capacity.

cintitomcat said:
Well has anyone used there wall phone charging adapter with the usb connector? Have a LG connector that says outputs 5.1v .7amp.[/quot

Do not go over 5v.......and charge at least 2amp.....if not may damage something.....read manual. I think page 64

I bought a 'power bank' with 2 usb outputs at 2.1 A 5V and while driving home I have connected the bank to the machine and the wireless and in about 1.25 hours both are fully charged. On the original charge I used an Iphone 1A, 5V and it took almost all night. The wireless charged up rather quickly but the head unit took much longer. I am not sure I am doing the correct thing as far as the battery is concerned, by 'topping' it off on the return home each day. I guess I need to look into that. May have to let it run down a lot more before charging, but I dont know. I got the power bank as I keep the detectors in the garage and I needed at least 2 more usb wall plug in chargers as I dont plan on using the headsets, I use the Yur Buds. The 'power bank' I purchased has 2 usb ports, is waterproof, and solar charges (also has the wal plug usb charger also) so I leave in on the dash while hunting and it seems to be topping itself off.

Just bought a Atomi Charge Tower Pro 6-Port USB Charger model 1158. It has more features than I have seen elsewhere. BJs now has it posted as no longer available. They had maybe 2 dozen on the shelf yesterday. Amazon has a new model rated at 8A max and 40 W

SMART CHARGE Ai Charge: Identifies your device and delivers the quickest charge
MULTI-CHARGE Conveniently charge up to six devices all at once
RAPID CHARGE Get a full charge faster and save hours of time
SURGE PROTECTION With 400 joules of protection, your devices are always safe

Specifications: Input: 100-240V, 50/60Hz 0.5A max; Output Current: 7.1A max; Joule Rating: 400; Watts: 35W

This is how the SMART CHARGE / MULTI-CHARGE work together.
The output current is 7.1A max which means if you could charge 3 devices that draw 2A you could only add one more device that would draw 1.1A.
3 X 2 + 1 X 1.1 = 7.1A hence it will only charge the 4 devices at the max level, if you add another device the 4 connected devices would be deduces in charging current to allow the now connected devices to charge, but at less that the fastest rate allowed by each device.
This would be much like charging the Equinox, that can charge at 2.1A, with a charger that only puts out 1A. It will charge, but will take twice as long.
I charged my tablet, fitbit, cellphone, camera and a WiFi headphone set all at once with no problem.

For a Power Bank I have a RuggedGeek RG1000. It has two 5Vdc@2.1A USB jacks for charging electronic devices. This could also be used to power the detector while detecting.
The RG1000 can also function as a flash light and can jump start a vehicle. Lastly the RG1000A offers a DC voltage output can charge a laptop at 12V, 16V or 19V - must be selected to match the laptop's requirement.

Who would have thought 50 years ago we could do so much with such small devices. Semiconductors and Li-Ion power cells rule! Hope I can see where we are in another 20 years.

Still scratching my head why they didn't include a dinky charger matched to the detectors requirements....There is some good advice previously mentioned in this thread. I will probably end up purchasing one of the portable chargers mentioned...

I'm using an ANKER PowerPort 6 Ports

5v 12amp(6 ports @ 2.0 amp)

Charged the Equinox, Headphones, Deus remote, headphones and 2 coils in under 4 hours.

Spud said:
I'm using an ANKER PowerPort 6 Ports

5v 12amp(6 ports @ 2.0 amp)

Charged the Equinox, Headphones, Deus remote, headphones and 2 coils in under 4 hours.

+1. Works great! Charges quickly.

Dean

I'm using an iLepo 8- Port USB Charger with LCD Display that shows the voltage and rate of charge in amps of each port in real time. Works great and is highly recommended.

Like the others, it's only 2.4A max for each port and a total of 8A split among the 8 ports. SO that means you'll only get the full 2.4A to a port of you are charging no more than 3 different devices at the same time. Of course for the Equinox, that's fine because you'll be able to charge the detector, the headphones, *and* your power bank all at the same time at maximum rate. And for us geeks, you can see the exact charging amperage rate of each port.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072BKDBR8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm also using that Anker 6-port/each 2A, but it's still charging after a few hours. The sealed battery is bad enough, but you'd think ML could have included a cheap charger matched to the detector. Probably, they intend to offer it later (along with coils) as a high-priced "accessory" or something.

Always Curious said:
I'm also using that Anker 6-port/each 2A, but it's still charging after a few hours. The sealed battery is bad enough, but you'd think ML could have included a cheap charger matched to the detector. Probably, they intend to offer it later (along with coils) as a high-priced "accessory" or something.

What's wrong with having a sealed battery? Are you going to beat that dead horse again?? The battery being exposed on the CTX didn't work so hot for quite a few people if you remember. I think Minelab learned the lesson on that one. If they had included a "cheap charger" everyone would be bitching about a cheap charger. I use a multi- port usb charger that will charge the machine, headphones and module all at once. Since I charge after I get home for the next day, the time it takes is a non issue.

Dan(NM) said:

What's wrong with having a sealed battery? Are you going to beat that dead horse again?? The battery being exposed on the CTX didn't work so hot for quite a few people if you remember. I think Minelab learned the lesson on that one. If they had included a "cheap charger" everyone would be @#$%& about a cheap charger. I use a multi- port usb charger that will charge the machine, headphones and module all at once. Since I charge after I get home for the next day, the time it takes is a non issue.

Yep. Well said! My multi- port charger cost me around $20 at Walmart. I suppose ML could have included one and raised the price of the whole package by $50. Then, everyone would have been happy...NOT!
In this day and age, who doesn't have some cheapo USB charger for their phone or tablet laying around the house?

Dean

They should have included it, end of story. If we are buying Minelab's, we aren't poor and could somehow scrape together the extra money it would have cost to include one. Without a charger you have no detector. Very shortsighted of Minelab. Yes, before you say it again, we all have tons of them lying around the house. Now, everyone go get your magnifying glass to check if it is certified, and rated properly. If the official charger was available when the detector came out maybe I could understand not including one, but unfortunately it isn't.

By "cheap" I didn't mean an inferior charger, just that the charger would have been cheap to include; and, yes, I would have been willing to pay a little extra, for that matter, to have included a matched charger capable of charging at maximum speed. It's not a deal breaker, obviously, but with most $59 gadgets including an appropriate charger, i would have thought ML could include one with a $900 detector.

As for why I don't like the sealed battery, one simple reason is you can't carry around a spare. Another is that you can't replace the ML battery pack with something better. With my Etrac, I use the RNB battery which charges fast and lasts a loooong time. On the off chance that I do run out of juice in the field, in my bag I have the AA holder filled and ready to plop into the Etrac. Is there any other metal detector that has a sealed battery? I certainly hope it's not the new trend.

Always Curious said:
By "cheap" I didn't mean an inferior charger, just that the charger would have been cheap to include; and, yes, I would have been willing to pay a little extra, for that matter, to have included a matched charger capable of charging at maximum speed. It's not a deal breaker, obviously, but with most $59 gadgets including an appropriate charger, i would have thought ML could include one with a $900 detector.

As for why I don't like the sealed battery, one simple reason is you can't carry around a spare. Another is that you can't replace the ML battery pack with something better. With my Etrac, I use the RNB battery which charges fast and lasts a loooong time. On the off chance that I do run out of juice in the field, in my bag I have the AA holder filled and ready to plop into the Etrac. Is there any other metal detector that has a sealed battery? I certainly hope it's not the new trend.

Of course you can change to a better battery, as long as someone first develops that better battery. It has to be enough of an improvement to be worth the cost AND it has to fit the factory sealed holder in the handle. People have already shown how simple it is to take it apart and remove the factory battery.

Of course, you wont be covered by warranty if you do that, but thats a choice you have to make.

Jason in Enid said:
Of course, you wont be covered by warranty if you do that, but thats a choice you have to make.

The original battery should last most people for the warranty period.

I can’t wait for the “ Right To Repair “ Legislation to be passed.

[size=medium]WaterWalker,

The trick is the specs on that, ie 40watts at 7.1amps MAX. yes you have 6,7 ,8 ports on those type units doesnt matter to much but the 40 watts and 7.1 is the key. Example 40 watts is fine untill you want to charge to many things you want at 2.1 amps The 7.1 amps Max is the KEY. divide 7.1 Max amps of unit by 2,1 + number of untis to charge= ? 7.1divided by 2.1= equals 3.380 In other words you can only charge 3 items at 2.1 amps at the same time. if you plug ANYTHING else in with those three on the unit will all drop everthing plugged in to to 1 Amp. so as not to burn up the charger.

Just thought yall might want to understand that and pick the correct on for your charging needs

Buddy_TX[/size]

Buddy_TX:

You are correct in that the MAX current total from all the outlets will not accede the charger's rating to prevent burn out. But because the controlling circuitry in this charger can control each output proportionally the charging current is not just 2A or 1A.

Per the literature with my Atomi (6 port, 35W), the units charging at 2A would NOT be reduced to 1A, but rather to something less than 2A. Therefore if you connected on unit that charges at 2A then you could connect 5 units that would charge at 1A. If 2 units were connected that charged at 2A than connected 4 units that would charge at 1A the 2 units that were charging at 2A would drop to something less than 2A (approx. 1.75A) and the 4 other units would be charged at something less than 1A (approx.9), hence their theory behind SmartCharge. Additionally when the first unit to become fully charged the remaining 4 in the last set up (2 units @ 2A and 4 @ 1A) would be charged at their max rate.

The SmartCharger / MultCharge is my pick for Li-Ion / LiPo cells. With more power than any of my current needs.

NOTE: the word deduces should have been decreased.

The Deus and the new Makro Kruzer has the sealed battery also and with the Deus the coil has a battery too along with the headphones that you have to send in. Sounds like the Kruzer will also have to be sent in to replace the battery.
My Equinox is going to be here Monday as I got the Kruzer on this last Monday and I am not worried on the batteries as those in my Sovereign GT is over 8 years old and work perfectly.
I feel when and if the battery goes dead most will have sold the detector before this happens and be with a newer model. Myself I feel the battery will last at least 10 years if charged properly and taken care of.

Rick

GKMan said:
They should have included it, end of story. If we are buying Minelab's, we aren't poor and could somehow scrape together the extra money it would have cost to include one. Without a charger you have no detector. Very shortsighted of Minelab. Yes, before you say it again, we all have tons of them lying around the house. Now, everyone go get your magnifying glass to check if it is certified, and rated properly. If the official charger was available when the detector came out maybe I could understand not including one, but unfortunately it isn't.

But they didn't. End of story. It isn't rocket science. Minelab knows "we all have tons of them lying around the house". Minelab, apparently, doesn't believe we are stupid either (perhaps their faith is misplaced) .