Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

BATTERY in Equinox

keppy

I think i read that you can not replace the battery in the Equinox , so what happens when the battery goes out for good ?? Do you have to buy another equinox?

keppy said:
I think i read that you can not replace the battery in the Equinox , so what happens when the battery goes out for good ?? Do you have to buy another equinox?

Keppy -- of COURSE the battery can be replaced, in an Equinox. Whether the USER can do it, or if will have to be done at a dealer or repair center, we don't know yet...

Hmmm. On the probability of having to send it across the country for a battery is a bummer. Maybe we'll be able to do it ourselves.

xwyokid said:
Hmmm. On the probability of having to send it across the country for a battery is a bummer. Maybe we'll be able to do it ourselves.

I'm sure its possible to do it yourself. Once the warranty has expired, whats to stop you?

Ok then---How many charges/hrs. running time before the battery goes kaput?-----I know, I know---wait for the specs!
shelton7522 said:
Watertight unit. I don't think so. Service centre only.

sgoss66 said:
keppy said:

Keppy -- of COURSE the battery can be replaced, in an Equinox. Whether the USER can do it, or if will have to be done at a dealer or repair center, we don't know yet...
That would be good if we could get the battery changed . I must have got the wrong idea when i read a post on a another site.

I havent heard of any of the Deus having to have the rechargeable batteries replace, but I may have missed it , so I think with the advancement of better batteries they may last a long time and have a low battery shut down so you cant run them completely dead and ruin them. I have some nicads that were over 10 years old in one Sovereign that still seem to last almost as long as when they were new ad sure the new ones are even better.

The issue will be is if the battery is made just for the Equinox you may not be able to buy it on the open market.

I just experienced this on my DJI drone transmitter. The battery has a circuit board for balancing the lipo cells. You cannot buy the battery on the open market and they will not sell you one. I had to buy a broken transmitter and take the battery out of it. I don't like putting a used battery in it but the only other alternative was to buy a new transmitter.

Someone needs to see if Minelab will tell us more about this. I would hate to have a detector that years down the road has the battery go bad and I can't get one.

txop said:
The issue will be is if the battery is made just for the Equinox you may not be able to buy it on the open market.

I just experienced this on my DJI drone transmitter. The battery has a circuit board for balancing the lipo cells. You cannot buy the battery on the open market and they will not sell you one. I had to buy a broken transmitter and take the battery out of it. I don't like putting a used battery in it but the only other alternative was to buy a new transmitter.
Someone needs to see if Minelab will tell us more about this. I would hate to have a detector that years down the road has the battery go bad and I can't get one.

We dont know but.....
Doing it yourself will probably void ANY warranty. Being waterproof to 10' makes Minelab replacement almost a must.
As above I have had a few things that you had to use OEM BP's or at best cut open a sealed unit.
If its off the shelf and you do not take it in the water it is OK by me. Probably soldered in, special tool needed & all new gaskets.
I would hate to buy one & have to send it out even once for a C note or 2 over a battery. A deal breaker to me, Garrett AT in the spring !
One video showed an attachment to the EQ to supply power. Maybe thats a work around if the battery isnt loading
things down when bad.

C U later
Tom
LFOD !

One great way to CONTROL a product .....you have to come back for software updates ......OR battery replacement.
Oh yea ,and it s for your safety! $$$$

We will see

Decanfrost said:
One great way to CONTROL a product .....you have to come back for software updates ......OR battery replacement.
Oh yea ,and it s for your safety! $$$$

We will see

its nothing to do with safety. If you want to tear it open and muck about, go right ahead. Its a detector capable of going into the water. The biggest problem with that is the end user being too lazy to properly clean the seals every time its opened.

I'll happily send mine back in until the warranty expires and after that I'll the replacement myself. It's not rocket surgery if you have a little bit of common sense.

I have to agree they complained about the leaking on the CTX now they complain about a sealed battery so it doesn't leak they really don't know what they want on this Forum.

After 2 1/2 years, it wouldn't take a full charge. Thankfully Deus replaced it free of charge even though the BATTERY warranty expires after 2 years. Most people are unaware of the 2 yr warranty on the batteries when buying used. The machine and parts are 5 yr but batteries only 2. So just be aware should you buy a used machine or coil more than 2 years old.

PS Deus installed even better batteries on my remote. I suspect the coil battery is also on it was out as sometimes it, too, doesn't take a full charge. But even still Deus was reasonable at $50 to replace the battery. Minelab doesn't know how to be reasonable on repair costs !!!! Because its a waterproof unit, Id send in for factory replacement. Let's see what they charge for that !!!!

HH
Donna(NJ)

n/t

Rick(ND) said:
I wonder how many more have had to have their batteries replaced, maybe not many

IT would be a good question to pose to the DEUS forum.

Jason in Enid said:
Rick(ND) said:
I wonder how many more have had to have their batteries replaced, maybe not many

All the lithium batteries in my Deus are still going strong after a couple of years, have heard of some getting 5 years from theirs, so wouldn't be a concern on the Equinox for me. Of course it all depends on the frequency of use, at least the three batteries in the Deus are user replaceable, the lower frequency coils take a bit more work for the battery install.

Rather than look at the negatives on having a lithium battery pack running the Equinox, look at all the positives it provides - detectorists wanted lightweight in a Minelab detector, and going lithium was the only way to achieve that. Personally I'd hate to go back to using NiMH batteries after running the Deus for a while now. If the Equinox requires a service centre visit for battery replacement, then so be it, small price to pay for maintaining the waterproof integrity of the Equinox.

Lith work a little different having a third wire if i remember right which allows the charger to check each cell to ensure they are all charged separately. How the smart charger reacts may determine how long it lasts too. Im told in some cases if a cell goes bad or the battery gets below a certain charge it can cause the charger not to recognize the battery giving an indication its charged.

Jason in Enid said:
Rick(ND) said:

Any comments on the Deus forum which are critical , even constructively , seem to mysteriously disappear so I doubt the moderation over there will allow for a true analysis of the Deus battery system. If you detect once or twice a week the batteries will make the 2 year limit easily , detecting more than that could be a different story. Mine was produced in May 2014 and I did not use it much the first year but have used it a great deal since then and now the batteries in the remote and coil are both in need of replacement. The remote looks easy , the coil does not and I will have to send it in. Cost plus shipping. Minelab's service history is indeed a concern but , once again , we have no idea what the replacement procedure is and people already want to pull their hair out over it.:confused: It may be as easy as the batteries in your TV remote , who knows? , even a caveman could do it!!