Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Be careful using discrimination especially on the beach my video With Manticore

Even black sand shouldn't cause that....I find deep targets deep in black sand with my GT,that should be banging out loud in discrimination on the surface.I've never seen anything like that before........never used as manticore and after seeing that i don't think i'd want to.

I know nothing about beach hunting but something doesn’t seem right if the filters are really all off. It still sounds like it’s trying to discriminate when supposedly wide open. Ground Stability 3 might cause it, any disc or notch might cause it, BC on or Silencer might cause it….let us know if you find something further Mark.

This is why i still use older technology Donna i just don't trust all this latest technology,it just doesn't seem to be working in certain situations.There are a few guys here in the uk that are unsure about the manticore,it just isn't performing up to the hype.Some suggest that users aren't understanding settings but no detector should be that complicated to access basic performance.I'm pretty sure that many detectorists who use these new machines haven't really got a total understanding (any sort of clue) of what all the settings are doing in the field.I switch on my GT, start swinging and still get the same sort of performance as the latest models.......i know exactly whats what and never have the problems as demonstrated above........just seems to be a problem with these latest detectors.......over complicated.

Similar problem with my Deus 2
I had bottle caps cranked up to 5
Got a broken signal that turned out to be a good size sinker. Dropped bottle cap reject down to 3 and got a good signal. Now I’m wondering how many good targets I’m missed the whole year ?????

Live and learn the hard wAy !!

HH
Donna
I can personally tell your missing good targets on saltwater beaches I turn off discrimination on my Manticore because of this exact problem I hunt almost always no discrimination I have tons of hours I’m saltwater and have learned not to use it I like to hear everything
I’ve noticed the Manticore struggles to hit good targets a solid tone on the beach if it’s shallow no problem but 5-6” signals are broken sounding so I dig most of the targets
Mark

Last edited:
Mark…. Looks like there is black sand in that area… you think it is that causing this effect?
Yes there is lots of black sand I’ve never had this problem with the equinox 800-900 my friend will only use his GPX which he digs 2-3’ targets on these beaches deep silver and gold he stated it’s the best machine for penetration in this highly mineralized sand and his finds are proof.
Mark

make sure your coil is good, i got one that would only detect on outside edges, sent in for a new one

Good to know running open helps. I was in Florida for Thanksgiving and hunted both the Atlantic coast (Cocoa beach and the Gulf beach at Tampa. Didn’t fare well and thought it was because the beaches where I detected were combed regularly. I took both the Deus II and the Manticore. Tried single frequency also. Didn’t think running BC at 5 would loose that much depth but noticed I wasn’t getting any depth. Also noticed in the video with discrimination u got tid for nickel but sound was crap. Maybe there is a software issue. Without disc it was normal. So have you quit using the Manticore on beaches?

Good to know running open helps. I was in Florida for Thanksgiving and hunted both the Atlantic coast (Cocoa beach and the Gulf beach at Tampa. Didn’t fare well and thought it was because the beaches where I detected were combed regularly. I took both the Deus II and the Manticore. Tried single frequency also. Didn’t think running BC at 5 would loose that much depth but noticed I wasn’t getting any depth. Also noticed in the video with discrimination u got tid for nickel but sound was crap. Maybe there is a software issue. Without disc it was normal. So have you quit using the Manticore on beaches?
Oh no I usually use the core on my beaches it goes deeper than my D2 our local beach just got another payloader to push the beach
sand back to for a barrier.
I got there at about 2 saw that someone was there already he missed a mercury and a silver rosie! come to find out it was my Father!
He found a 1937 walker! glad it was him hes 91.
Mark

I’ve been looking at videos more and reading everything I find on beach searching and it seems it’s best to run wide open with upper ferrous limits set around 4, lower ferrous limit at 0, recovery speed at 4, and lower sensitivity. That ATHC is better than ATLC for depth. Also lower frequency if running single frequency, plus ground balance close to the surf water. Don’t know because I’m mostly a land hunter and beaches are not close.

If the nickle was deep I'm sure it would not be seen at all.I only use the discrimination in 2 parks, otherwise none and only use VDI and tones.I also do not rely on the center line for good finds, I have found some of appears as a blob either just above or below the center line, a coin spill is a good example.

If the nickle was deep I'm sure it would not be seen at all.I only use the discrimination in 2 parks, otherwise none and only use VDI and tones.I also do not rely on the center line for good finds, I have found some of appears as a blob either just above or below the center line, a coin spill is a good example.
Correct using discrimination even silver coins that are deep I found a silver quarter yesterday that was probably on edge which gave a very faint high tone one way
I've learned to dig a lot of signals that a lot of people would pass over and they turn out to be coins especially on saltwater
beaches.
mark