Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Beach settings?

Whitetail

Ok guys heading to the beach for a week. Do you guys run a certain screen or program for the beach? I have the stock and a 6x8 SEF coil.
Thanks for the help.
I'm thiiiis close to picking up the Excalibur for water hunting.....:bouncy:

I use Des Dunne's Beach Mode and the Ireland Beach Pattern with good results...Where ya going?

Robby i cant seem to find the Des Dunnes beach patterns on the Etrac ? or the Ierland beach pattern ? Can you tell me where to find them.

http://www.minelab.com/usa/products/treasure-detectors/e-trac?view=faq for the beach PATTERN

Just be sure to Quick Mask anything that nulls out since there's a lot of Discrimination in use. I really like it and it works really well FOR ME, individual results may vary....

Sorry to have to say this but that pattern is for learners , I use a more open screen though with the lower third blacked out in a slight downwards crescent shape .
As for settings it really matters on trash levels and whether it is shallow or deep sand , black sand and so on .

Nuke em said:
Sorry to have to say this but that pattern is for learners , I use a more open screen though with the lower third blacked out in a slight downwards crescent shape .
As for settings it really matters on trash levels and whether it is shallow or deep sand , black sand and so on .

SORRY??? Oh really? It doesn't sound like it... Des Dunne is hardly a "Learner" and this is the pattern I found with his beach mode settings that work VERY well for me. I DO check my nulls (maybe you didn't see my "disclaimer"?) with this pattern most times and have yet to get one good item from a null target.

You plug on with your settings and crescent pattern - which you should share and not just talk about - maybe I just have a better beach here in NW Florida, but I'm happy with this pattern/mode combo.

I have met Des a couple of times at digs and the pattern you showed is like the preset on the ET with a couple of touch ups .
Des knows of my program as do most here , cant remember if its on here or not but my program is much more open and loses all or most of the blacked out bit at the top.

I could see that a number of your settings are the same as mine but with these differences ,

Sensitivity at 28 Auto +3
Threshold level at 1 above what you find silent
Limits 30
Threshold pitch at 1 so you get a very low hum
Noise cancel set at 1 to 4 for coinage and if looking for Gold then above 6
If unstable or interference the do a auto noise cancel.

(Deep on if iron free beach and if not then Fast on instead)

Gain at 27 or higher
Sounds , Normal unless wanting to get very quiet targets that may be deep.
Variability 30
limits 30

All the rest is about the same as mine.
So far my settings have found me around

Nuke em said:
I have met Des a couple of times at digs and the pattern you showed is like the preset on the ET with a couple of touch ups .
Des knows of my program as do most here , cant remember if its on here or not but my program is much more open and loses all or most of the blacked out bit at the top.

I could see that a number of your settings are the same as mine but with these differences ,

Sensitivity at 28 Auto +3
Threshold level at 1 above what you find silent
Limits 30
Threshold pitch at 1 so you get a very low hum
Noise cancel set at 1 to 4 for coinage and if looking for Gold then above 6
If unstable or interference the do a auto noise cancel.

(Deep on if iron free beach and if not then Fast on instead)

Gain at 27 or higher
Sounds , Normal unless wanting to get very quiet targets that may be deep.
Variability 30
limits 30

All the rest is about the same as mine.
So far my settings have found me around

On land open the machine up to Manual at 27 sens unless very noisy or irony . Low noise cancel number too.

I believe that apart from not being waterproof the ET is the best beach machine , a combination of numbers and the tones make it easy to use.
I never got to grips with the Sovereign Elite/GT and sold them , I started with the Explorer XS and then the Explorer 11 and SE before the E.Trac , had the CTX for a year but could not stand it and did not see a advantage other than waterproof so sold it.
When I get my ET back out of the box again I will send you my screen settings for beach and land and give you all the tips I know of, will do that at the end of the week or earlier if time permits.

At the moment I am using my Terra 705 on the beach and that is like a hoover , had nearly

Nuke em said:
On land open the machine up to Manual at 27 sens unless very noisy or irony . Low noise cancel number too.

I believe that apart from not being waterproof the ET is the best beach machine , a combination of numbers and the tones make it easy to use.
I never got to grips with the Sovereign Elite/GT and sold them , I started with the Explorer XS and then the Explorer 11 and SE before the E.Trac , had the CTX for a year but could not stand it and did not see a advantage other than waterproof so sold it.
When I get my ET back out of the box again I will send you my screen settings for beach and land and give you all the tips I know of, will do that at the end of the week or earlier if time permits.

At the moment I am using my Terra 705 on the beach and that is like a hoover , had nearly

Is that all , quiet beach then !

Whitetail , have not forgotten . Will sort the ET program in the next day or two.
Richard

Need to take pictures of the screen's but the camera is not getting enough light and is making them blurred so tomorrow sometime instead.

Nuke em said:
Need to take pictures of the screen's but the camera is not getting enough light and is making them blurred so tomorrow sometime instead.

Cool! I too am looking forward to them...

Hmmmm interesting reading guys,just for the record I hunt the wet beaches here in an completely open screen,the reason being, I quite often find a coin or better lying right next to an old nail,screw or fish hook
sure if the ferrous gets to bad I will notch it out.And then go back to an open screen once the ferrous has been left behind.

kiwi-jim said:
Hmmmm interesting reading guys,just for the record I hunt the wet beaches here in an completely open screen,the reason being, I quite often find a coin or better lying right next to an old nail,screw or fish hook
sure if the ferrous gets to bad I will notch it out.And then go back to an open screen once the ferrous has been left behind.

That would be the best option on clean beaches but on non ferrous trashy beaches then it becomes difficult.
My local beach has lots of old style ring pulls and newer pull tabs and battle tops plus iron nails all over the place at the lower tide marks , going wide open can punch through at times but is very noisy and very slow work.

Time to take a picture or two I think.

These are my main ET screen settings , it doesn't matter if it is slightly out but that's what I use .
The first picture is the one I use most on trashy beaches , its not about depth but about clearing all good targets in the trash. You cannot avoid non ferrous trash so don't bother , there are too many targets that come in at a typical number. Its up to you to know the machine and the number variation that a good target might pop up at.
A Pound coin in air is normally 12 38 but in ground it could be as low as 7 Ferrous or as high as 18 and 37 to 39 Conduct. Its always best to go by sound and use the numbers as a back up.
The first screen is opened up enough to let in all possible numbers that come in that could be coins and rings, it does not include iron coins and that would be to noisy anyway with all the iron that is on a beach.

The following screen is what I am using on clean sandy beaches , it knocks out the top left where there is little to be had and the nails on the bottom right. Use manual Sensitivity with this screen .

My settings are mentioned on this thread earlier .

When in trash I use Normal response multi conduct with variability and limits maxed and gain at 27. On iron I use the 2 tone ferrous and use Deep OFF and Fast ON , I will design a screen for iron trashy beaches when I start using my ET again in the Autumn. It will be used with 2 tone ferrous . Nulling will always happen on iron if you have a discrim pattern, speed of sweep and a bit of luck then comes into it.

When looking for coins and most rings I use 1 to 4 noise cancel , if for small rings then I would up it to 7 + .
When you use the first program screen , when you turn on the machine keep it on , don't turn off whilst you are searching or the sensitivity settings will go back to 19 which is the preset. during a search the ET in Auto will find its sensitivity setting and that could get high which will improve depth in Auto . If you turn off then to get that you will have to put into manual which is sometimes unstable because its not searching for a stable setting.
A way of not worrying about battery power is to buy a RNB battery , it runs for ever or at least 35 hours and takes 2 hours to charge.

Remember if you use too much discrim then you are not only affecting depth but sensitivity to targets next to trash , if looking for a Pound and going by numbers whats to stop you missing it if its next to a 20p or 50p coin ? its the same for whatever currency . Numbers are never a constant but the sounds are.

Nuke em said:
These are my main ET screen settings , it doesn't matter if it is slightly out but that's what I use .
The first picture is the one I use most on trashy beaches , its not about depth but about clearing all good targets in the trash. You cannot avoid non ferrous trash so don't bother , there are too many targets that come in at a typical number. Its up to you to know the machine and the number variation that a good target might pop up at.
A Pound coin in air is normally 12 38 but in ground it could be as low as 7 Ferrous or as high as 18 and 37 to 39 Conduct. Its always best to go by sound and use the numbers as a back up.
The first screen is opened up enough to let in all possible numbers that come in that could be coins and rings, it does not include iron coins and that would be to noisy anyway with all the iron that is on a beach.

The following screen is what I am using on clean sandy beaches , it knocks out the top left where there is little to be had and the nails on the bottom right. Use manual Sensitivity with this screen .

My settings are mentioned on this thread earlier .

When in trash I use Normal response multi conduct with variability and limits maxed and gain at 27. On iron I use the 2 tone ferrous and use Deep OFF and Fast ON , I will design a screen for iron trashy beaches when I start using my ET again in the Autumn. It will be used with 2 tone ferrous . Nulling will always happen on iron if you have a discrim pattern, speed of sweep and a bit of luck then comes into it.

When looking for coins and most rings I use 1 to 4 noise cancel , if for small rings then I would up it to 7 + .
When you use the first program screen , when you turn on the machine keep it on , don't turn off whilst you are searching or the sensitivity settings will go back to 19 which is the preset. during a search the ET in Auto will find its sensitivity setting and that could get high which will improve depth in Auto . If you turn off then to get that you will have to put into manual which is sometimes unstable because its not searching for a stable setting.
A way of not worrying about battery power is to buy a RNB battery , it runs for ever or at least 35 hours and takes 2 hours to charge.

Remember if you use too much discrim then you are not only affecting depth but sensitivity to targets next to trash , if looking for a Pound and going by numbers whats to stop you missing it if its next to a 20p or 50p coin ? its the same for whatever currency . Numbers are never a constant but the sounds are.

Thanks for the info!! Any chance you could post that first screen pattern file here for us to download?

I don't have a clue about how to do that but when I can I will give you a list of pixels to black out so you have the pattern .

As my ET was out of the box and as I was hitting the beach today I took the ET and used my pattern and settings . I will post in a while what I had :D

It will be on the finds section .