Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Best Machine for jewelry on land

Acornhead

Hey everyone just wondering what people’s opinion is on the best machine for gold jewelry on land. I have a E-Trac which I love for silver and copper I just don’t find. nickels or jewelry with it. Des in Buffalo

White's V3i with BigFoot coil running in multi Frequency. Pulltab VDI's skew up the scale so you can disc them out. Gold ring VDI's don't change nearly as much so you can disc out the tabs whiles still getting 95% of the gold rings.

I found a ton of nickels and silver and gold jewelry with an F2, paid for the thing at least 10x's over the $200 price.
I got an F70 back on Thanksgiving 2013 and found enough gold to pay for it in about 4 months and over the years way more gold and silver to pay for the thing at least 5-6x's or maybe more....plus nickels galore because you can change nickels to high tones to notice them better.
Both of these found tons of gold in the foil and tab areas, too.
Then I also have a Compadre, pound for pound one of the best jewelry hunters out there.
My Mojave is great but I only got that a couple of years ago and I don't use it all that much but I have over 1000 hours on the Compadre.
A little E Trac story...
I was hunting with a good friend once at a high school parking lot that was divided up by many of those grass filled islands...one of my favorite kinds of sites to jewelry hunt because people lose a lot of jewelry pulling keys out of their pockets while walking over them.
He had an E Trac with a small SEF coil.
He was hunting one area and I walked over to him to ask him something and I was just scanning the area he just went over a few seconds ago when my Compadre screamed over something in the foil area.
I bent over and dug down about 2 inches and I see the end of a chain, turns out it was a silver necklace.
My friend couldn't figure out how or why he missed it.
We put it on the ground and he tried everything setting he could think of swinging over it but he couldn't get any reaction except a few fleeting, jumping signals nobody would dig.
He picked it up and rubbed it on the bottom of his coil, still nothing...that shocked both of us.
Over the years that Compadre found me way more silver and gold...enough clad and silver and gold to also pay for that little $130 tool more than 10x's over.
I never had any problems finding chains with either of my Fishers either and my Mojave is great at that, too.

As far as modern detectors the Nox finds nickels like it was a religion, can zero in on the tiniest pieces of foil you can imagine and all of that means it can find jewelry, easily, too.
Found my first gold ring with mine yesterday as a matter of fact.

For budget detectors if you can find a good used Compadre or Mojave you will be well equipt to seriously hunt for jewelry, actually any Tesoro will fill that need.
I know Fishers are up to the task and the Nox hasn't been around long but look at the jewelry it is found for owner both in the water and on land.

Of course the AT Pro has a good jewelry track record among many others but I really can only tell you about the experiences I have had with what I have used.

For silver and other coins, even deep ones...you already own what you need.
For jewelry, in the nickel or any other area and especially chains you need another one more capable in that specific area.
As a dedicated jewelry hunter I sincerely wish you good luck in your search.
I love old coins and I have found my share over the years but othing more fun for me in this hobby than when I dig up something shiny you can wear.

Last edited:
Thanks so much Revier, great info, really appreciate it! Yeah Etrac crushes silver and copper. I will look for used units, might have some questions for ya. Des in Buffalo

Thanks so much Revier, great info, really appreciate it! Yeah Etrac crushes silver and copper. I will look for used units, might have some questions for ya. Des in Buffalo

Anytime.
Tesoro talk has faded down on the forums since their big fall but trust me there are still tons of us owners out there and most will be happy to help any newbie.
If you end up with a Tesoro I forgot to mention how fun it is using them, once you learn the language a little and come to realize how expressive the language actually is the fun will really begin.
These are way more than simple beep and dig machines.
BTW, scuttlebutt is that for non screen units the Vistas might be a great choice to take over the niche that Tesoro once occupied.

Can’t believe hot cheap they are. Dex

Compared to E Tracs many capable detectors are dirt cheap.
I think I remember I found most of the money I used to buy my beloved Compadre by searching my couch for coins. LOL!

Yeah I had a DFX but was stolen, found many gold rings. What do you think a fair price would be on the DFX? . Bought one used once and it was broken. Des

tesoro mojave!.what he say! super tough to find
but a "killer' coin and jewelry sniper! the 7" concentric coil
is terrific in the junk...they went for $251.10 when available new,
but rumor has it, only about 150-200 were ever built before the crash.
occasionally can be found for "short money",however, i have seen compadres, and mojaves
shoot up in price too, mainly because tesoro is no more! ..just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I agree with the previous comments about Tesoros being great for jewelry. My gold ring finds started increasing as soon as I started using a Mojave instead of screen TID machines. It's not that the TID machines couldn't hit the jewelry, necessarily... it's more that I have the bad habit of talking myself out of digging targets when using a TID machine :)

-Ken

A garret ACE400 or the AT Max, with a DD coil and you’ll find a dropped ring if it’s there!

I like the Etrac for gold jewelry, myself. I like the fact that I can dial in the disc better, and I love the High Trash feature. I've only found two gold jewelry items with it so far, but then again I've only hunted with it 5 times. I mostly use it for a clean up unit to pick up what my other's units might have missed.

Good luck,
HH
Mike

I will bet that your eTrac has told you about being over gold and you ignored or did not understand what it was telling you. I suspect that it was because you did not understand. The reason Tesoro machines find gold is because the only information one gets it tones.

I took 15 gold rings that I had found. Various K and various sizes. With my machine I got 15 different readings. Everything from the aluminum foil range all the way up to a zinc penny and everywhere in between.

The key to finding jewelry with any machine is to learn the machine. I had a Tesoro for a few weeks, the cortez I believe. It had a TDI scale, but would only give a 95, did not matter if it was a penny, dime of gold ring, (Returned to seller)., I have the bigfoot coil 5pin for it (tesoro) if anyone is interested. With my Nox or ORX jewelry can fall almost anywhere on the scale, the key is to dig any target that is repeatable.

Of the 12-15 or so low-Midrange machines I’ve used, I’d give the F-75 coupled with a 10” concentric The edge as a good jewelry machine. Not only does it have decent depth if needed, but it hits hard on low conductors, has a relatively accurate ID up to about 8-9” For coin sized targets in my dirt and has high gain/ sensitivity to smaller targets if one needs to set it up for that... by just using it in Jewelry Mode. I’d say too that the ergonomics of this machine make it a joy to swing, this in itself is getting to be more and more up there on the scale of things to consider as I spend more time swinging.
I was surprised after trying this machine out in Boost Process today; I don’t believe I’ve ever dug up little bits of foil In the 6-7” range. I’ve owned a deep cz and a few other machines known by some to be ‘king of deep‘ and dug some deep targets with them, but never have I actually had a machine with the high gain and raw punch to consistently pick up little bits of foil at half a foot... heard stories of the story until I used the f75, lol.

Bob, Too bad yours turned out that way. I used one for about two years, also had a clean sweep for it. Mine did very good. They opened up the gold range in the vid scale on that model so midrange conductors from light foil all the way to a bit higher than zinc penny was 1-94 . Pennies and higher conductors would all give a VDI of 95 but you could see the difference in the 9segment ID scale. The machine I had was one of the most accurate ID machines I’ve used. One of the tactics I used with this machine (works on any machine) was getting the id to stabilize over a good target... this thing would lock on to rings and round objects very good. The id would move by 1, maybe 2 digits if there was a shallow, 4-5” or less ring under the coil. It was incredibly sensitive to small targets and fine jewelry, quite Deep and super easy on batteries. Still with today’s market offerings, the machine was overpriced...
The key to finding jewelry with any machine is to learn the machine. I had a Tesoro for a few weeks, the cortez I believe. It had a TDI scale, but would only give a 95, did not matter if it was a penny, dime of gold ring, (Returned to seller)., I have the bigfoot coil 5pin for it (tesoro) if anyone is interested. With my Nox or ORX jewelry can fall almost anywhere on the scale, the key is to dig any target that is repeatable.