Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Big coils question

Gannon

I have found a site where coins love to sink and sink fast. I pulled a 1964 Rosie at 9 inches today! It doesn’t compute with me.. but I’m hoping to gain one inch to 1.5 inches in-depth.
With all the coils out there which one is best suited for depth and target ID accuracy?
Thanks
G

Soil composition will have as much or more to do with increasing depth with larger coils than actually increasing the coil size. Mineralized soil with a bias toward iron will diminish a great deal of the gain a larger coil might bring in milder soil so there's really no right answer. The 15" WOT is a good performer and gets good separation and ID for a large coil but I prefer the 10 x 14 dd Accelerator by Detech . Most of the soil here is pretty brutal stuff.

Gannon...do you have an etrac? Don’t see it in your list. If you do,Sprchng is right...soil can have much to do with what coil will work as well as the next. General thinking would say big=deep. It CAN be that way. It can also be counter-productive,to a point. I know what I’m saying is not zeroing in right where you want to be,but it’ll take a bit of “tinkering” on your end to see what works. That’s why a lot of guys have a lot of coils....:)

IDXMonster said:
Gannon...do you have an etrac? Don’t see it in your list. If you do,Sprchng is right...soil can have much to do with what coil will work as well as the next. General thinking would say big=deep. It CAN be that way. It can also be counter-productive,to a point. I know what I’m saying is not zeroing in right where you want to be,but it’ll take a bit of “tinkering” on your end to see what works. That’s why a lot of guys have a lot of coils....:)
Yes I just got one yesterday! I’m pumped. I’ve had one before, traded it away and got one back now.
I live in Tennessee, soils near me have medium mineralization. I’m using manual sensitivity high as I can go then I back off a bit.
It’s much deeper than auto sens I have found. I use the Etrac in cleaner sites with low iron and nails. If it’s nail city I take the deus.

I've have the Ultimate 13, and love the separation, and just as importantly the balance it adds to the machine. If you are able to swing all day without too much fatigue, that would defiantly increase your finds. BUT with that being said, I believe coiltek, probably has had more conversation s with ML engineers and probably has more ML insight than most. If I were looking for additional depth I would probably lean to the WOT, even if It meant I needed to add a harness.

Gannon said:
Yes I just got one yesterday! I’m pumped. I’ve had one before, traded it away and got one back now.
I live in Tennessee, soils near me have medium mineralization. I’m using manual sensitivity high as I can go then I back off a bit.
It’s much deeper than auto sens I have found. I use the Etrac in cleaner sites with low iron and nails. If it’s nail city I take the deus.

The E-Trac with a big coil on clean ground and the Deus in heavy iron - what a killer combo !

sprchng said:
Soil composition will have as much or more to do with increasing depth with larger coils than actually increasing the coil size. Mineralized soil with a bias toward iron will diminish a great deal of the gain a larger coil might bring in milder soil so there's really no right answer. The 15" WOT is a good performer and gets good separation and ID for a large coil but I prefer the 10 x 14 dd Accelerator by Detech . Most of the soil here is pretty brutal stuff.

10 inches wide by 14 inches long coil . . . verses the round 13" coil. Wouldn't one get slightly better depth since a wider coil is supposed to go deeper?

I’ve used probably 10 different detectors in the past year. Nothing has been as deep as the Etrac. The deus is deep but at depth I cannot tell if it’s iron or a coin. I’m pulling 10 inch dimes with stock coil and I’m happy doing it! I had a Dtech ultimate but didn’t notice an appreciably difference. I didn’t test it extensively though. Maybe I’ll pick up s SEF or NEL and give it a try. Gaining just one inch would be huge!

Gannon said:
I’ve used probably 10 different detectors in the past year. Nothing has been as deep as the Etrac. The deus is deep but at depth I cannot tell if it’s iron or a coin. I’m pulling 10 inch dimes with stock coil and I’m happy doing it! I had a Dtech ultimate but didn’t notice an appreciably difference. I didn’t test it extensively though. Maybe I’ll pick up s SEF or NEL and give it a try. Gaining just one inch would be huge!

You will love the Nel Gannon I love mine, wont take it off I also hunt with the Explorer SE Pro and that's my one two punch! What I miss with one ill check with the other.

Explorer.se said:

You will love the Nel Gannon I love mine, wont take it off I also hunt with the Explorer SE Pro and that's my one two punch! What I miss with one ill check with the other.
Excellent.. I’ll look at both the NEL and SEF hopefully a used one pops up sometime soon.

Tony N (Michigan) said:

10 inches wide by 14 inches long coil . . . verses the round 13" coil. Wouldn't one get slightly better depth since a wider coil is supposed to go deeper?

Possibly , but I found the Ultimate not so ultimate in my soil. No better performance than the stock 11" while the 10x14 seemed to be not only deeper but separation is very good as well. Downside is that it's a tad heavier but I'll take the trade off for an elliptical any day.

color me in the NEL camp as well boys....have a 15 inch Tornado on my Etrac and now that i know how she acts in most circumstances, she never ever comes off any longer; a great combo!!(Etrac//Nel Tornado)
super slow sweep....moist ground.....AUTO+3...or MAN as high as she is stable....fast ON....deep ON....trash HIGH....
and you will crush the site if you are patient and learn to listen
get silver dimes pretty loud and clear 8-10 inches like this
i hunt open screen TTF all the time; i never want signals getting blurred together
thats how you miss stuff.....but everyone likes their own thing

I ised the moster SEF on mine and worked well. Deep equals worms, fill or flood zone.