Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

BIG coils

Can anyone tell me a little bit about these big coils on the market, Butterfly, tornado, Big Nel, do they really help, do tthey get bigger depth or just cover a larger sweep path. I am thinking about one for my E-trac and Explorer? Any feed back will be appreciated.

H.H. All

Kevin aka SC RING KING

I have the 12x10" SEF (Butterfly) and the 15x12" SEF (Butterfly). I found on the 12x10, it was a tad deeper (about an inch) then the stock 11" Pro coil and I could run it a little hotter as well. Separation of targets was about the same of the Pro coil, but the bigger footprint is an advantage. I only use the 15X12 at the beach or when I'm field hunting. The depth is similar to the 12x10 when hunting on land, but it does give you some extra depth on the beach. You have to be careful with the larger coils (bigger then 12 inches) because you could actually loose depth if you're hunting in highly mineralized ground or black sand. The other issue with the larger coils is the weight. I've found that I cannot swing the 15x12 without the help of a Swingy Thingy harness. You may want to try and get some specific feedback from forum members that live in your area to see what type of results they are getting based on your ground conditions. Hope this helps.

Check out this summary I wrote on the 15x12 and 12x10 in comparison to each other and my stock 10" coil...

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?21,1759188

I exclusively use the WOT 15" and works well for me, not only cover more ground but it definitely gets Dipper than the any other that I have tryed, I own the stock 11", the SEF 6X8, 10X12, 12X15 and now the Ultimate 13" but I prefer the WOT 15" it is my GO-TO coil, just for land.
I decided to go to the river last weekend and found out the WOT is not to good at it because here is a lot of hot rocks so if I used to hot it falsies at lot.
one more thing I found out it was not getting deep at all maybe 6" at the most but on the contrary on land it gets real deep, I got a 1/2 dollar at 14" and the signal was great and solid at 6-45.
next weekend I will go back to other part of the river and this time I will take the SEF 10X12 to see if there is any difference.
the Ultimate 13" coil I have not use it at all jet, it is still in the box and I may not used ever so I think I'm going to put it up for sale soon.

I like the WOT also. Great for the beach and farm fields or any place where there is not much trash but any large coil will have problems in trashy areas. Good luck with your choice. HH :minelab: