Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Big Silver Spill at a new permission!

cz70pro

I recently got a new permission at a 1937 farmhouse just 10 minutes from my house and decided to hunt for about two hours before dark last night. It's a beautiful little spot to spend some time swinging the coil. After finding a few Wheaties right off the bat, I got one of those beautiful silver high tones. I looked down at the screen and saw I had an 02-46 signal banging steady from all directions. Those numbers don't come along very often so I just sat there sweeping over it enjoying the tone and numbers. I then dug a five inch plug hoping this wasn't going to be another bazinga and immediately saw two coins stuck together in the dirt. I didn't see anything else in the hole so I pulled them out and saw it was a 1954 Rosie stuck to a 1946 Wheatie. I thought there was no way those two, even stuck together, could read 02-46. I stuck my pin pointer back in the hole and it sounded off. I began to get really excited and I dug my finger into the side of the hole and a huge silver half slowly slid out into the middle of the hole! I got the Foo out and saw it was a 1952-D Franklin half in beautiful condition. I could also see where the other two coins had been stacked on top of it in the hole. This only the third Franklin half I have ever found. I've found lots of Walkers over the years but those Franklins always seem to be the most elusive for some strange reason.

I also ended up finding three other Wheats (oldest one 1937), an old copper brooch and an art deco period watch band clasp. Gotta love finding big silver 10 minutes from the house. HH everyone!

Nice Finds ........ You going back for more ??

Elton said:
Nice Finds ........ You going back for more ??

Thanks Elton. I'll probably find the time. lol

I'll probably be hunting this for a long time. Nice to have a go to spot right near the house.

Good going .. after reading that it put a smile on my face and I can imagine how big your grin is !

:drool:...………….:thumbup:

floodplaindetector said:
Congrats on the big silver! you are right, halves don't come up often so it is sweet when they do..

Dave

Thanks Dave. The last half that I got with my E-Trac had been hit with a lawn mower and rang up 12-47. It was so nice to get that magic 02-46 on the screen and singing in the headphones.

Greg

1hotwire said:
Good going .. after reading that it put a smile on my face and I can imagine how big your grin is !

Thanks hotwire. I am sure I looked like the Cheshire Cat with shaky paws. haha

That's a real nice looking site - congrats on the great finds !

Nice find! I've hit two franklins and 3 walkers this year so far and my first Morgan! I love seeing the big silver never gets old!

Mkus said:
Nice find! I've hit two franklins and 3 walkers this year so far and my first Morgan! I love seeing the big silver never gets old!

Thanks Mkus. Yep, very few things better than seeing big silver in the hole.

I love hunting places like that! Nice job with the Franklin. :thumbup:

The silver halves and dollars don't turn up as frequently as I wish they would.

Rich -

Rich (Utah) said:
I love hunting places like that! Nice job with the Franklin. :thumbup:

The silver halves and dollars don't turn up as frequently as I wish they would.

Rich -

Thanks much Rich and you're right. They definitely do not come around very often. I've only dug two Morgan dollars in nearly 40 years of detecting.

As I understand it back in the day ... Easter egg hunts also included silver coins tucked in the grass ... not all of them were found.
Might account for a site that yeilds an abundance of silver quarters, halfs, and dollars.
Old church sites are always a good prospect.

I've heard of that too. Always wanted to find one of those spots but haven't yet.

Awesome digs! You gotta love digging Big Silver but it's a big bonus to be that close to the house! Congrats!

Sooper Dave said:
Awesome digs! You gotta love digging Big Silver but it's a big bonus to be that close to the house! Congrats!

Thanks Dave. I was wondering where the heck you've been Thought maybe you found that CS plate and retired for a while. lol
Greg