Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bigger coil for my E Trac from those using them

I am a long time user of the E Trac and have done well with it but my favorite sites seem to be drying up. I am thinking of getting a larger coil. Having read past posts I am still confused. The stock coil is 11", and larger coils start out at 12X8 or 12x13 etc. I was wondering if the extra inch on the 12x8 or 12x13 is really an advantage worth exploring. I don't think I want to go with a 15 or 17 inch coil but am willing to look at information form those that use larger coils.

Get the ultimate 13 ..you won't want to take it off ....separation is awsome and great depth of course with great vdi readings ..pinpoints like stock 11"

Ksdirt said:
Get the ultimate 13 ..you won't want to take it off ....separation is awsome and great depth of course with great vdi readings ..pinpoints like stock 11"

I totally agree, best coil made.

I think your dirt will determine the amount of additional depth a bigger coil will get you more than any other factor. If your dirt is hostile like mine , the etrac is obviously having to deal with more of a bad thing the bigger the coil gets. I have used the WOT 15", the SEF 12 x 15 , the Ultimate(which it ain't) and the Excellerator 10 x 14 DD elliptical. The 10 x 14 was superior to the others in my dirt but you may have to contact the factory to get one. It's in the middle for weight , covers about as much ground as any and is as sensitive and separates as well as the stock.:thumbup:

I've had great luck with the Sunray X-12 and Detech Ultimate 13" coils in MY ground,you could have something very different. Your "favorite" sites...why are they your favorite? Less junk? Better coins? Not many people? If you have decent ground and not a bunch of crap in the ground a larger coil may get you a little more depth but to me the bigger coil can make that 7-9" dime sound more solid,which to me is an advantage in itself,even though it's within range of the stock coil. I'm just more sure of what I'm digging,or don't want to dig!
If you have some really squirrelly conditions,then it's hard to say what will bring more coins,perhaps a SMALLER coil would be more beneficial to separate some junk. If you've already dug some 9" dimes and your sites are pretty clean, you can bet your bottom dollar there are some coins that are just out of reach,and a larger coil may well be the answer to finding them.
Higher manual sensitivity may get you some depth too,if you haven't explored that much...I have a feeling you have though.:)

I think the 13" Ultimate..is the best coil out there......It seems to Separate ..like a smaller coil......Lights up my E-trac.....

Of the larger coils for the Etrac (and I have tried many)---the 13" Ultimate is my favorite.----The Tornado is another good one.

The 13" ultimate for sure. I have a newer 15" WOT coil but like the 13" better. I like the 13" Ultimate so much I have one for my F75SE and my Whites MXT All Pro too.
Gary from Oregon

masterjedi said:
The 13" ultimate for sure. I have a newer 15" WOT coil but like the 13" better. I like the 13" Ultimate so much I have one for my F75SE and my Whites MXT All Pro too.
Gary from Oregon

Can you tell me what's the difference between the newer WOT and the older one? I have the older one on my Etrac.

I think the Thunder coil is great. I have it the Tornado, Hunter, sharpshooter coil. I know the Thunder goes deeper than the stock 11 coil. My buddy is a expert with the etrac and the stock 11 coil. He went over a 1822 half dollar and missed it. I found it with the Tornado right after him. I also found an 1853 half dime with the Tornado. So who says a large coil cannot find small targets. They get no smaller than a half dime. I have the Thunder on right now. Have not taken it off. I found a silver pendent about the size of a dime with it.It is an amazing coil. Not too many people out there using the THunder coil. I see no reviews on the E-trac. I am finding lots of deep stuff hitting hard. I think 8 inches objects are hitting hard and good VDIS.

Thank you all for your replies. My ground here in Ohio is pretty good, and I do get good depth with the stock coil. I need to measure one of these days. My favorite spots are usually quiet parks, not too much junk and old, so I am thinking I am not getting the deep stuff. When I first started hunting these parks I was getting a fair amount of silver and Indians. These parks are old and have been hunted by everyone who owned a detector including me, but when I bought the Etrac years ago I couldn't believe the silver and Indians I found that others had missed. Now it seems to have dried up and am thinking a larger coil will get me that deeper silver. I appreciate all the input and it seems most of you like the Ultimate 13. I will do some research and watch some videos and make my decision. Oh and one other thing. I always use Auto +3. It just seems cleaner sounds and VDI. I will have to try manual sensitivity since reading so many posts about better depth. I always knew it gave better depth, but just liked the way Auto +3 sounded and VDI'ed.

Indiana has the same type of soil. I believe in the NEL coils. The Tornado is a proven winner. The thunder is the newest of their line. I have been using it for about 3 hunts. Have 3 sliver items so far. Hope to have more reviews about it soon. It has the 15 inch height and 8 inches wide. It is about the same weight as the stock 11 inch but I think it hits harder and deeper. Only time will tell. Also have a 1822 1/2 that the 11 stock coil could not hear at all. The Torado hammered it at over 8 inches.

The attached photo is posted on NEL's site. I found this Big gold ring first time out with NEL Tornado on my E-trac paid for coil first visit.

I will throw a shout out to the Nel Tornado. I I just recently picked up a used Etrac and bought a new Tornado for it.
Yesterday I got a nice clear and deep wheat signal. I was confident it was going to be a wheat penny.
I dug down and pinpointed the target in the side of the hole. As I took some more soil out I spotted the penny
standing straight up on edge at a full measured 8"!! The even bigger surprise was that it was a copper memorial, not a wheat.
That was a let down but I was still very impressed. 8" on edge with a nice clear signal is pretty good considering my mineralized ground.
I recently sold my CTX 13X17 Coil because the Nel Tornado tested just as deep in my coin garden as the big CTX coil.

Bryan

Haven't tried the Ultimate but have the NEL Tornado which found about 90% of the silver coins i dug up over the years...some of which were 12+ inches deep.
It also has great separation for a larger coil and accurate IDs also. Its my goto coil.
Based on Ultimate reviews here and elsewhere, it seems they're both about equal more or less.
I'd go with the best deal available.

I would caution you against the Coiltek 12X8. It is a great coil in every respect but it is heavy as can be. If you start hunting in Manual you gain two inches depth. Just keep a threshold and adjust near the recommended sensitivity.

I dont mind the weight at all. The darn thing sniffs out the coins.

Only coil that could be better than the Tornado coil is the Thunder coil. I am currently "testing" it out and hope to have some good finds to report. Have 2 silver coins and a silver pendent. Haven't been out much. Wife had Hip surgery and have been a "wet Nurse" for the last 3 weeks.

nalc472 said:
Only coil that could be better than the Tornado coil is the Thunder coil. I am currently "testing" it out and hope to have some good finds to report. Have 2 silver coins and a silver pendent. Haven't been out much. Wife had Hip surgery and have been a "wet Nurse" for the last 3 weeks.

Hope your wife is ok, yes please post some goodies as Im considering buying the Tornado. Take your time, your wife's health comes first.

She is going to release me to go hunting on friday :)