Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Bought one if those anti-glare sheets for my screen, my review.

hotrod53

I, like all of you, can hardly see my Etrac screen. I've been looking look at this product online for a while and I finally decided to try it. I won't mention the name since I've seen a few get scoulded when doing so.

My thoughts after a 6 hour outing....... did it help with glare YES, is it now perfect, I would say NO, do I regret paying $18 for two sheets of magic plastic, not really. I think that it made enough difference that I don't regret my purchase. At the same time I also heated my Minelab environmental cover with a heat gun, put my head and inside of it, and smoothed it out as best I could. Between the two things I would now say that my Etrac screen is usable.

I also considered the cover with a visor but I don't think that would have given me the results that I have. Granted, it would be much better with no environmental cover at all, but I saw what my Xterra cover went through, I'm not willing to trash my control panel. Quite honestly, I think the Xterra environmental cover fits the Etrac better, the smaller size causes the clear plastic screen to be tighter and with less wrinkling. You do however have to extend the Velcro straps when using this cover on your Etrac.

Good info Hotrod. Did you play with your backlight or contrast? Any difference there? I agree,my Explorer2 screen is hard to see,the CTX is better but I always turn to get the sun at my back when I need to make any adjustments,it's just hard to see on either one at different times. Large ID panel helps on both but then other features aren't on screen at the same time....
Grrrrrrrr!

Yes, I did play with contrast and backlight. I got them as best I could before this. It's a shame that such an expensive detector has such a lousy screen. As time goes on I use the screen less and less anyway.

Excellent detector-lousy screen....I couldn't agree more. In the right lighting they're fine,such as at night! Other than that,no bueno.

Attached are some before and after pictures. These were taken in the exact same spot in my garage under the exact same lighting. I see that the angle of the after picture is slightly different, that wasn't intentional but the results were just as shown. Unfortunately I'll lose some of the improvement once the environmental cover is put on.

I notice a difference in glare from having my glasses on and having my contacts in. Contacts seem better to me.

I hunt more by sound than numbers. I will say all metal screen has saved me digging deep iron though. I picked up a tablet screen protector and am getting the same results as in the pictures.

I removed my rain cover since all it did was make the screen harder to see. Added a heat shrink cover, reduced the contrast to 10 and always wear my full readers (+2.0) when I'm detecting.) I'm afraid this is about as good as it's going to get.

God forbid if minelab was to make the screen on the etrac better .so you could actually see it ....afraid you might not want to shell out money for there over priced 3030 ...which I would want anyway.......not the same....don't think minelab really cares what we want ....it's like take it or leave it...you're no there listening .. And how many years have the Etrac been around without improvements ......they don't want to ....they think the 3030 is there answer .....WRONG...it's not an Etrac...

HERE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!
....i am blown away at how darn hard it is to see anything
man, when they say you hunt with an Etrac by sound only.....they weren't freaking kidding
its a pretty gross oversight by the design folks at Minelab in my judgement

Actually you just have to hunt with your back to the sun. No back light needed, just adjust the contrast. So I hunt one way then the other. The other side I cant see a thing and dont try unless I want to go blind lol.

I completely agree with the unacceptable 'can't read the screen' problem.

So let's start a petition here on this forum requesting a

public reply from MINELAB; a statement of intent, to address

this 'glaring dilemma' on their flagship detector.

Will FINDMALL.COM please facilitate such a petition

in a form that registered member may 'sign'?

*****************************​

[size=large]As an interim measure / software up-grade;

A selectable 'audio mode' whereby one may

activate an audio report of the essential data, upon

halting your target interrogation-sweep....or ????
[/size]

matt.

the screen is the reason I bought a V3i .... now whites has it going on..... and you don't have to wait 4 months (or longer) to get something done if you send it in.. still have my etrac and hunt with it...but minelab is horrible about giving a s@#$ about what there customers want..... just a screen so you can see it ..and still be the Etrac not a 3030 ....

IDXMonster said:
Good info Hotrod. Did you play with your backlight or contrast? Any difference there? I agree,my Explorer2 screen is hard to see,the CTX is better but I always turn to get the sun at my back when I need to make any adjustments,it's just hard to see on either one at different times. Large ID panel helps on both but then other features aren't on screen at the same time....
Grrrrrrrr!

Adjusting your angle seems about all one can do. Are any detectors screens good in the sun? My 705 and T2 are difficult like the etrac and so is my cellphone for that matter....is it something that even can be done?

I agree with the above posters about minelab not giving a dam......Although i like my etrac, they dont care what the public says about thier product....They make em, we buy em, end of story unfortunatly...

I can live without a great screen. I bought the machine for all the other functions it gives a user. Be glad the screen is your only problem.