Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Boy, this forum is going no where fast!!

prodrigsr

What happened to the Friends and finds ?? Run out of friends or finds??

It does seem a little lame right now, maybe give it a little time to find its feet and it might take off.
warmer weather and people being able to get out and dig will probabley help.
Right now most of the info can be found in the encyclopedia.
HH Ed in co.

Ed Steinhoff said:
It does seem a little lame right now, maybe give it a little time to find its feet and it might take off.
warmer weather and people being able to get out and dig will probabley help.
Right now most of the info can be found in the encyclopedia.
HH Ed in co.

Ok, i will give you some places to find in the encyclopedia,so you can point them out on a map for me!

The topics on here now are better now than what I have seen: freeway problems, obama problems, gun control problems and how to get a deal on a cruise. I'm a new member to this site and I thought there was a direction to what this site was about. And if your still using encyclopedias.... well enough said

I sold my complete set of encyclopedias.....dont need em anymore ....wife knows everything!

:rofl:

I bet we have some younger members who don't know what an encyclopedia is.......:laugh:

Hello Everyone,

I'll have to admit that I'm getting slower in my old age but I didn't think over 200 posts and probably about 50-60 pictures was too slow for my first week on the job.......that's O.K. though.....I'll drink more coffee and get back at it! :shrug:
Any suggestions on what you would like to see here?

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support and help with this forum and it's certainly nice to see some new guys here at FindMall.
Please spread the word that this is the place to be. We're growing bigger by the day. :thumbup:

P.S. If you're looking for one of the ghost towns mentioned....LabradoreBob is the guy to ask. He handles the mapping forum and really knows his way around!

:cheers:
Cheers

H.C.Beil.... as far as I can tell you, you have helped alot of people here and led them on many NEW different quest. To say this form is "going no where fast" is a lack of intelligence. People in specific areas will be looking for your info when spring comes around.

Don't let the naysayers get under your skin Charles, you are doing a great job.......:thumbup: There are a lot of nice little treasures to be found in ghost towns with very little or no modern day trash to contend with. Those who don't appreciate that just don't know what they are missing. :biggrin:

You're doing a wonderful job, Charles. Anything that helps a person with my limited experience is appreciated. It's the little things that make life worth living and when someone has unreal expectations, it makes them unhappy. Any knowledge that will help me experience more out of my hobby is worthwhile.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
My comment was really like a tongue in cheek response. This doesn't bother me...probably motivates me more....it's just like water off a ducks back.

What I know, is that ghost towns have been very generous to me. I have recovered numerous small caches, lots of jewelry and coins are almost always pre-1900. I dig every signal because the iron that you overlook at these places could be an old gun, button, badge etc. Heck, I even like square cut nails.

We have some good stuff in the works I just need to find where to place these files for the guys to download without opening them up to the entire Internet....I want it to be a FindMall exclusive.....old history books, atlases, collections of photos in a library so we don't have to search through a lot of other websites to find what we're looking for.

I'll also be designing some tutorials on how I go about finding a new ghost town as the places I search won't show up on any map within the last 100-200 years. Some are only on one particular type of map and you won't find them online or in an encyclopedia. So if you'd like to search a virgin site I'll show you how to find them and LabradoreBob will show you how to map them. I think we have a pretty good team going here. Kayden is also a good researcher and mapper. I know he's found some places on google earth and penn pilot that he must have magnified with a microscope. You'll want to get to know him as well.

Check back often to see what we have all added to this forum.

Cheers
:beers:

What I wanted to find out was what had happened to the "Friends and Finds " forum but I worded it badly. Please accept my apologies, I did not mean to insult or disrespect anyone.

Hello Prodrigsr,

No problem....no offense taken. You'll find that I'm pretty easy going....
I think some of the guys felt that they needed to come to my defense.....it's all good.
I hope that you will be an active participant in the ghost town forum.....just let me know what you'd like to see and I'll do my best to "dig up the dirt" on it.

And....you're always entitled to your opinion when dealing with me. Hopefully we'll get the opportunity to "chew the fat" on some of these towns. I'd certainly appreciate the opportunity to learn what you know about sites in your area.

Thanks for the concern.

H.Charles Beil

H.Charles Beil said:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the vote of confidence.
My comment was really like a tongue in cheek response. This doesn't bother me...probably motivates me more....it's just like water off a ducks back.

What I know, is that ghost towns have been very generous to me. I have recovered numerous small caches, lots of jewelry and coins are almost always pre-1900. I dig every signal because the iron that you overlook at these places could be an old gun, button, badge etc. Heck, I even like square cut nails.

We have some good stuff in the works I just need to find where to place these files for the guys to download without opening them up to the entire Internet....I want it to be a FindMall exclusive.....old history books, atlases, collections of photos in a library so we don't have to search through a lot of other websites to find what we're looking for.

I'll also be designing some tutorials on how I go about finding a new ghost town as the places I search won't show up on any map within the last 100-200 years. Some are only on one particular type of map and you won't find them online or in an encyclopedia. So if you'd like to search a virgin site I'll show you how to find them and LabradoreBob will show you how to map them. I think we have a pretty good team going here. Kayden is also a good researcher and mapper. I know he's found some places on google earth and penn pilot that he must have magnified with a microscope. You'll want to get to know him as well.

Check back often to see what we have all added to this forum.

Cheers

Hi Charles, can you help?

Quote "I'll also be designing some tutorials on how I go about finding a new ghost town as the places I search won't show up on any map within the last 100-200 years. Some are only on one particular type of map and you won't find them online or in an encyclopedia."

Can you enlighten me about what kind of map you are referring to? Ghost towns are where I prefer to hunt and they are the most interesting to me. I love the history and to see how these people lived probably as much as the finds that I make at ghost towns.
Thanks, Deusdigger.

Hello Deusdigger,

I tend to use the old Beers and Sanborn Maps as well as railroad maps. Railroad maps are key. Look for spur lines that came off the main lines and run into the mountains.....they were always going somewhere that made economic sense. Today these lines are long gone and so are the towns that they served.

O.K...now you've forced me to release one of my closely guarded secrets to my success as a treasure hunter.....I have recovered many small caches in these forgotten towns.....As I have gotten older, I've come to the realization that I have as much chance of searching all of these places as I do in running a marathon and I really enjoy identifying them for others to search just to see what they find.

Are you looking anyplace in particular? I usually select a county and look for all of the lines that once served the area.....rail lines, coal trams, electric railroads etc...Along with the large lines there were small privately owned railroads that served only a smaller area. These would typically connect perhaps several mining communities or logging towns together and also connect to a larger line. These sometimes are not shown on the maps of the larger continental railroads because they were not owned by them even though they connected to them. These are the railroads that you want to learn about.

Gosh you're killing me letting this information out. I could have hoarded this information and searched these towns until I was older than Mathesula; at least for the next 900 years.......:heh:....there are lots of unsearched towns out there just waiting for you.

I don't care how much you torture me.....I'll never reveal my secrets about the North-East stagecoach lines and how it was a legal requirement that they have a tavern at every stop.....:razz:

Cheers

Thanks Charles, I will have to do some research, and whatever you do, don

I just found this forum, it's just what I was looking for. I live in SW Montana and forgotten towns are spread through out the mountains, most are small and short lived, but not hunted in the past. It's time consuming to find much on these towns, but gives hours of relaxation and peaceful hunting. The finds are few as these people, in this area, had few belongings moving from one camp to another. I would rather spend the day in the mountains with no one in sight all day finding one item than in a park finding clads. Every one has their own style and that's great, I read everybodys posts and enjoy them all, but hunting a old homestead or town, seeing the way these people lived recharges my batteries and makes the next week of work more bearable to me. As I said I like this forum, keep up the good work, and thanks.

I've got quite a few books checked out interlibrary loan about the railroads in my area and the towns they went thru and some interesting information about how people traveled back in those days. Anything showing telegraph lines might lead to some of those insulators they used, I'd like to find some of those. The history books of the counties I'm interested in show some stage lines, but I'm not sure how to overlay the old maps with the newer maps yet. Labador Bob sent me some links, but I haven't been able to figure it out yet. Steamboats show a lot of landings they used and towns that no longer exist. Now that I have high speed internet, maybe I can download google earth and use it some to my advantage. There is a book on the inns and taverns that used to be on this stagecoach trail, but I haven't been able to find it interlibrary loan and it's not in print as far as I know.

H.Charles Beil said:
Hello Deusdigger,

I tend to use the old Beers and Sanborn Maps as well as railroad maps. Railroad maps are key. Look for spur lines that came off the main lines and run into the mountains.....they were always going somewhere that made economic sense. Today these lines are long gone and so are the towns that they served.

O.K...now you've forced me to release one of my closely guarded secrets to my success as a treasure hunter.....I have recovered many small caches in these forgotten towns.....As I have gotten older, I've come to the realization that I have as much chance of searching all of these places as I do in running a marathon and I really enjoy identifying them for others to search just to see what they find.

Are you looking anyplace in particular? I usually select a county and look for all of the lines that once served the area.....rail lines, coal trams, electric railroads etc...Along with the large lines there were small privately owned railroads that served only a smaller area. These would typically connect perhaps several mining communities or logging towns together and also connect to a larger line. These sometimes are not shown on the maps of the larger continental railroads because they were not owned by them even though they connected to them. These are the railroads that you want to learn about.

Gosh you're killing me letting this information out. I could have hoarded this information and searched these towns until I was older than Mathesula; at least for the next 900 years.......:heh:....there are lots of unsearched towns out there just waiting for you.

I don't care how much you torture me.....I'll never reveal my secrets about the North-East stagecoach lines and how it was a legal requirement that they have a tavern at every stop.....:razz:

Cheers