Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

BUCKET LISTER!! LESS THAN 100 KNOWN!! $5 GOLD HALF EAGLE DUG!!

Stoof you have 3 chances this year..............no more excuses, time to pack up your detector and head west :)

Here are the 2018 WTHO Dates and Locations so you can start planning now:

7th WTHO

Based out of Vale, Oregon

Thur. April 26th thru Sun. April 29th

Ghost towns to hunt include: ‘Lost’, ‘Lonesome Arch’ and ‘Lone Tree’

You are naturally welcome to arrive on Wednesday. Vale as at least one motel, and a pretty decent RV Park. If you plan to camp at or near the townsites we will be searching, ‘Lonesome Arch’ is the more accommodating for room for maybe up to three camp trailers or RV’s. We will be able to coordinate working any of the three locations with others who participate so as not to crowd just one site, and if you haven’t been there in the past, trust me, there is ample room to roam around detecting.

Last outing we also had a get-together at the Vale City Park covered picnic bowery on Saturday evening as some folks wanted to travel home on Sunday while others wanted to do some detecting. That meant heading back down to Vale just a little earlier on Saturday, but I’ll be down there early to make sure things are set-up for our picnic. It will also be a fun time for each of us to display some of the trash and treasures we find up to that point, share some relaxing discussion time, and introduce ourselves to others. Let them know where we are from, what detector(s) we use, how long we have been enjoying the metal detecting sport, etc.

For those who want to do more detect6ing on Sunday, we still have the three gold mining ghost town sites to visit, or Gregg Z. & I will maybe have one or two shorter-duration hunt sites closer to Vale.

8th WTHO

Based out of Wells, Nevada

Thur. May 17th thru Mon. May 21st

Ghost towns to hunt include: Cobre, Metropolis, Shafter, Tecoma, Toano and Tobar

Wells has several RV motels and a couple of RV Parks. Some might want to locate out of Montello for a day or so at their small motel to be closer to Cobre, Tecoma and Toano, but it is cheaper to stay in Wells for a motel or for food or for gas. I had considered starting this on Friday and stretching through Monday, but some participants can’t make both outings so I went back to Thursday as a start date. It is extended an extra day, however, for those who maybe plan to attend the 9th Outing in Tonopah and this will give us an extra day to search these locations before we make the drive south to Tonopah where, I am sure, quite a few people will be arriving on Wednesday or Thursday for their annual planned trip there. That would allow us to be close, then use Tuesday or Wednesday to make the travel from Wells opt Tonopah.

I know, I know … some are thinking we have hunted some of these towns on two trips in 2015, two in 2016 and once this year, and the others only on our last trip and the rainier one down there the year before. But once again, go back to the ahrps.org website and look back in the Relic / Old Site Hunting Forum and you’ll see reports of some really exciting finds folks have made from each of the towns on various outings in 2015, ’16 and ‘17.

As we did on the last trip here this year and plan to do in the future, we will have a group get-together on Saturday evening, the 19th, in Wells. The location will be announced to those who are attending. It will be a relaxing social time to have a picnic or dine out, to be planned, and we can get to know each other better and show off some of the interesting finds we have made to that point. It will still leave two more Outing days to add to our ‘keeper kollection’ before that Outing is over.

9th WTHO

Based out of Tonopah, Nevada

Thur. May 24th thru Mon. May 28th … which includes Memorial Day Weekend

Ghost town to hunt includes: The Tonopah ‘dumps’ and ???

If you enjoy ‘dump digging and screening’ then you’ll get a workout there. If you haven’t but want to learn from some experienced folks who do, you’ll certainly find some help and instruction there. If you only like metal detecting, well, there might be a lot of trash at the dumps, but it is a big area, spread out, and many people have had good success working their detectors, using a smaller-size search coil and a slow and methodical sweep speed.

Brian, that is a jaw dropper...and a lifetime thrill that will come over and over every time you think about it! WTG!!!!!!!!!!!

Incredible!
Congratulations.

Yes, great find, they are rare because only the rich would carry a $5 gold piece ,the average person felt rich if they had $1.

Cal_Cobra, that is one hell of a find! Congratulations!
I am getting an Impact very soon and was just looking at this forum and had to reply.
Terrific find, congratulations again

Congratulations on winning the Contest to get a FREE Nokta Impact. :clapping:

Just remember that a metal detector is only part of the hunting package and you'll need to be sure to have the search coil, or coils, to go with it for the types of site challenges you'll be taking on. I have thirteen detectors in my Regular-Use Detector Team with four of them being 'pairs.' That's just my personal approach to always being ready as I equip each of the two pairs with a different size and/or type search coil to fit different applications. That, I know, is a decision some other Avid Detectorist friends of mine use as well, but it will depend on a personals budget, how often they get out detecting, and how wide a range of site types and challenges they usually encounter.

Will you still have other detectors? Consider them, the coils you have, and how they will 'fit' in your detector line-up when considering accessory search coils. I have all but one of the search coils Nokta makes for the Impact, and for me and the sites I generally search and amount of ferrous debris and rusty tin I encounter, my favorite 'general purpose' search coil is the 7" Concentric that I keep mounted regularly. My 2nd favorite coil, used when the trashy environment gets very dense, is the round 5" DD coil. Then there will be times when I am only encountering a low-to-modest amount of trash, and the type of trash is mostly discarded iron nails, so I might opt for my 3rd coil favorite, the 5X9½ DD open-frame search coil.

Obviously, I do not use ONLY an Impact because I have an array of very capable detectors and have favorites among them for different applications or even for different comfort levels. For over a year now the Impact has been one of my favorites, and it continues to serve me favorably. In my working arsenal are also a Makro Racer 2 and a pre-production Multi-Kruzer and they, too, have their own plus and minus points for me, but the Impact offers some things they don't so it makes a great selection .. for me.

When you get the Impact and desired coil/s and put in the field time to learn it well, and that includes working with each of the available search modes to know their strengths for how you hunt and the conditions you'll face. I am certain you'll be very satisfied with your new device.

Monte

Monte, I don’t want to highjack this thread (that is an awesome gold coin find), it deserves all the accolades possible.
Thank you for the congratulations, I can’t wait to get this cool machine. First off I will probably purchase the 5 inch coil and go on from there.
I currently use a Minelab Explorer II and love it. And yes I have many coils for that unit and it’s backup.