Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:cam:Maps Photograpy

idoah

Hello,
I'm working in a geographic library with hugh collections of maps from the 16th century till today of places all over the world.
We want to upload the collection to the web, but due to funding problems, we can't buy a large scanner so we use a high res' camera.
My question is, What is the best way to take the pictures?
Currantly I use small plastic clips, but this way the maps don't get streched and you can see the folds in the picture.

Does anyone have an idea what to do?

Thanx!
Ido.

Maybe try laying a piece of non glare plexiglass on top to hold it down.

a lot of old maps i look at have smudges in the ink, or even part of the print missing.

Labradorbob

hi..
We tought about it, but the thing is that we need to hang it on the wall to take the picture.
I need something that will "stick" the map to the plexiglass and keep the maps streached.

thanx again!

I would put it between two pieces of plexiglass.
sorry i should have specified this!

Sounds like the way to go to me. What did you end up doing? Inquiring minds want to know! (and want to know where to go to see them. :))

Put map or pic between two pieces of glass or whatever you are use n, then you can tape them together without damaging the pic,maps, etc. Hang away.

Sounds like the plexiglass option is the winner...I would recommend contacting an archivist or possibly someone at the Rumsey map collection to see if they have other options to suggest.