Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Can anybody explain better in simple English?

Ronstar

I just read a semi lengthy explanation of how frequency affects metal detectors. The unknown author seemed unbiased in detector brands and focused on frequencies and why certain kH are better for certain tasks. An example: ratings in the 5-10 range are the best for detecting silver. Higher numbers such as 19-25 are better for small fleks of gold. Then there was freqs inbetween and what they’re best suited for.
Since a majority of us probably chase silver coins our best selection was the Garrett Ace 250 or the Fisher F5 at 6-7. The Nokta Simplex would be best at gold flakes at 19. The Fisher F75 at 14 was listed best as for copper, aluminum, and stainless. Other brands were listed in between from one end of the spectrum to the other. Is this making any sense at all? If taken for what it is then my F75 is best at older pennies and canslaw……and the way less expensive Garrett Ace should kick most Minelabs butts off the field.

There are many other factors that go into what makes a particular detector effective. Frequency is important but not overriding. I don't thing you can make blanket statements about manufacturer/brands.

I just read a semi lengthy explanation of how frequency affects metal detectors. The unknown author seemed unbiased in detector brands and focused on frequencies and why certain kH are better for certain tasks. An example: ratings in the 5-10 range are the best for detecting silver. Higher numbers such as 19-25 are better for small fleks of gold. Then there was freqs inbetween and what they’re best suited for.
Since a majority of us probably chase silver coins our best selection was the Garrett Ace 250 or the Fisher F5 at 6-7. The Nokta Simplex would be best at gold flakes at 19. The Fisher F75 at 14 was listed best as for copper, aluminum, and stainless. Other brands were listed in between from one end of the spectrum to the other. Is this making any sense at all? If taken for what it is then my F75 is best at older pennies and canslaw……and the way less expensive Garrett Ace should kick most Minelabs butts off the field.
etrac starts at 1.5khz ....so it should smoke an ace 250 on silver/copper ..this is the way I understand frequency....lowest for high conductors and highest for lowest conductors.
The etrac is not as good on gold as it is on silver. That is my excuse to why I can't find as many gold rings !

Makes you wonder if this part of the reason for the multi-freq styles. Since I’m in direct competition with Jeff and his armament of Minelab arsenal (he needs a caddy I swear) we both notice we find stuff just after the other passes over. Not sure if its the angle, the sweep speed, the freq, or the loose nut behind handle that missed it……… it just got me to wondering.

Since a majority of us probably chase silver coins our best selection was the Garrett Ace 250 or the Fisher F5 at 6-7. The Nokta Simplex would be best at gold flakes at 19. The Fisher F75 at 14 was listed best as for copper, aluminum, and stainless. Other brands were listed in between from one end of the spectrum to the other. Is this making any sense at all? If taken for what it is then my F75 is best at older pennies and canslaw……and the way less expensive Garrett Ace should kick most Minelabs butts off the field

Can you post a link to the information you have read?

Makes you wonder if this part of the reason for the multi-freq styles. Since I’m in direct competition with Jeff and his armament of Minelab arsenal (he needs a caddy I swear) we both notice we find stuff just after the other passes over. Not sure if its the angle, the sweep speed, the freq, or the loose nut behind handle that missed it……… it just got me to wondering.
If I knew anything about it , I would tell you ...you know Elmy.....did you know the whites dfx was a multi-freq detector ? or a single freq of 3k or 15k ?

The
DFX
(Dual Frequency
XLT
) was conceived of as a detector which would maintain the most
popular attributes of the Spectrum
XLT
, while adding t
he benefits and capabilities provided by
multiple frequencies.
Multiple frequency, for our purposes, refers to a method of detection in
which signals at two or more frequencies are transmitted, received, and processed in a more or
less simultaneous fashion

Last edited:
If I knew anything about it , I would tell you ...you know Elmy.....did you know the whites dfx was a multi-freq detector ? or a single freq of 3k or 15k ?

The
DFX
(Dual Frequency
XLT
) was conceived of as a detector which would maintain the most
popular attributes of the Spectrum
XLT
, while adding t
he benefits and capabilities provided by
multiple frequencies.
Multiple frequency, for our purposes, refers to a method of detection in
which signals at two or more frequencies are transmitted, received, and processed in a more or
less simultaneous fashion
When I used the dfx years ago , the single freq 15 k was more for nickels and lower conductors like jewelry and silver was on the 3k single freq...
That 15k freq would be almost equal to your f75 at 14k ?

Yes on the freq numbers. Going to take the F5 back up to where we were pulling silver and see what we get, it runs a 8

Goonie, here ya go.

There are other links as well but this one read the easiest.

Frequency makes all the difference in the world.
I remember when the Fisher CZ series detectors came out in the early 90's
the first multi-frequency detector and no detector at that time could get anywhere near
the depth of the CZ until Minelab came out with the multi- frequency Explorer series in the late 90's early 2000
As for the White's DFX "Multi-Frequency" detector for some reason a big disappointment it just did not preform like the other two.
And yes I had and used all three detectors. Also the Multi-frequency units were the first to be used successfully in wet salt beach before that you used a PI unit
I just loved digging 13-14" bobby pins.