Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cannon ball TID

chadwick

Does anyone know what the ctx TID would be on a cannon ball. I run in combined and was wondering if anyone has found one or had one to check. Thanks

My six pounder solid shot and fused schenkel both read as iron, but they can be anywhere on the TID. First, cannonballs and their fragments are made out of iron but their mass may give you readings in the non-ferrous area or overload. Ground mineralization becomes a factor as well when hunting in very hot ground. Second, cannonballs vary in size from less than 4 lbs. to over 42 lbs. (size matters) :biggrin:

Most of us who relic hunt, use all metal mode or in the case of using a CTX, open screen, and dig everything if looking for iron relics.

Use extreme caution if you find a whole cannonball, some can still explode.

Never found one, but my first thought was that you would hear a BLAAAAAAAAT and the TID would read OVERLOAD.

OK thanks Larry. I hunt with open screen everytime. I hear alot of iron so I'll definitely dig the overloads and the buzzing tones.

If large iron is near the surface, yes you might get an overload but old iron is usually pretty deep and you will just get an iron signal.

Yeah, I know. Just the first thing that popped into my head. (I'm not a relic hunter per se).

chadwick, im not sure what it would be on the minlab , but on my garrett 1500 it would read, big iron dig me!!! lol...actually not sure but i would love to find out....

Mine was on surface barely showing. Overload on my Fisher CZ3D and it is on the CTX as well. In the air at 6" it reads 12-42( cleaned, no rust). It's a 10 pounder, and that is strange as the English up here used 9 pounders. I have no idea where it came from.