Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Carry Case for the CTX3030

bcoop

I believe I may have to purchase a hard case for this machine. Been looking at SKB and Pelican cases, anyone have any other suggestions.

BCOOP

You think it's taller then a GPX 5000? I can get one of those in a standard Minelab bag.

I was told they wouldn't fit but if you place it just right and hold your tongue just so it fits.

Yup I think it's taller. Watched the video again and it appears quite a bit taller.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1698174,1698438#msg-1698438

I have soft cases, I'm thinking about a hard case with pluck and pull foam insert to make a custom fit. I'm going to get the 13x17 inch coil and the waterproof phones, so I would like a case to custom fit it all.

Not going to be cheap, but the machine is not cheap. It would be like buying a $1,000 rifle and putting a $20.00 scope on it.

BCOOP

I am already getting ready for mine. I found this waterproof plano case on ebay a while back. i built myself a hotwire cutter and made a hard case for my etrac. the etrac hass been sold and i bought new foam for the case so when my ctx gets here i am gonna get back to work. the etrac took me about 6 hours to do so I am fiugring spending a saturday making templates and cutting the new foam for the ctx. its not hard to do really, just very time consuming and you have to have a steady hand when slicing the foam with the hot wire cutter.

Great idea BigBoar, could you expand a little on how you made your hot wire cutter so that other forum members might learn a little about it?

Thx
BB

BarnacleBill said:
Great idea BigBoar, could you expand a little on how you made your hot wire cutter so that other forum members might learn a little about it?

Thx
BB

Agreed. Thats pretty freaking sweet.

Wow. Yeah, can you "link us" with how to do that and maybe give the dimensions (or recommended ones) for buying a case like that?

I sure will guys. give me a little while to put it together and give some instructions. I will find the part # for my plano case too. it is cheaper than the pelican cases. seems like its around $130 or so but i found mine on ebay for $99 shipped a while back.

n/t

My case is a Plano 108190. Amazon is currently selling it for $130 something. I just searched ebay and found a seller that has4 left for $125 shipped each. I would post a link but i dont know if that is permitted or not so just search "Plano 108190" and you will find it. There are many cases to choose from though so pick whatever you like.

now for the hotwire cutter. here is a link to one just like I built. It is pretty simple to build and actually afun little project. if you do some searching you will see there are a few uses for one. If you build one make sure and do the dimmer switch as I found it takes some adjusting to get the right current for cutting and not to keep burning up the wire..
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gun-forum/256191-diy-hotwire-cutter-gun-cases-photos.html (the link inside that thread that goes to ar15.com is a good read too and will help when you go to start your project)

Templates- we will use poster board and what I did is lay each piece on the poster board and take a pencil and trace around it. after tracing go back with a ruler and go over your lines to get nice straight crisp lines. Make sure you stay a little on the small side so your piece fits snug when pushed into your foam cutout. take your templates and sort them in your case the way you want your pieces inside. then what i did is take some small pens and tack the templates down to the foam. to actually use the wire cutter what you have to do is make a starter slit in the foam so you can feed your wire through the foam to start cutting. you will understand that more once you read the link provided. We can get more into this when we receive our ctx. I will take some pics while I am doing my templates or if anyone wants I can make my templates and once I am done doing my foam I can send them to someone as long as that person promises to pass it on to the next person when they have finished theirs. Just so you know you will end up having to cut three different pieces of foam. the main piece you can see my etrac and coils laying in. then the top piece(in the lid) for some pieces to clear like you can see where i made room for my coil wires. That piece comes glued into the lid but it is easily pulled out and then when you are done making your cut you just get some spray adhesive and reattach it. There is another piece of foam under the main piece. you will end up having to make a couple small cuts in it where the detector is thicker like the display and rear compartment.

I can go on and on but it will probably be easier to just photograph my progress and post it up. Like I said, it is time consuming but it in my opinion well worth it with the investment we are gonna have in our ctxs. Any questions just ask.

Back in the days we did van conversions we used an electric knife to cut the foam. We were not doing percision cuts like this but I wonder if it would work if you were careful?

Just curious?

Ok, I spent about 2 hours this evening making templates for everything. now, to cut them all out, then double check sizing and spending a little time arranging them on the foam to get it organized correctly. I am hopping to leave room for the 6" coil in the case also but we have not received any of the 6" coils yet so I dont have it to work with.

Looks like a good start.

BCOOP

I was wanting to do something like that too especially with such an expensive detector.

I was hoping to find a way to make it a little more compact as to allow it to fit within the carry-on size of most airlines.

I appreciate you sharing this!

Shayne said:
I have a better idea - you manufacturer them and we will buy them! :biggrin:

:lol: one is enough for me!

I made more progress though..... the main piece is now cut and now I need to cut out sections of the second layer foam so the display and battery housing sit lower in the bottom section. Then I need to make a few cuts in the lid foam at the same point for clearance. The worst part is over!!! It looks like I was able to leave myself enough room for the 6" coil when I get it also, at least I hope......

FINISHED!!!!!!

It took alot longer than expected. After the 6" coil arrives and I cut its spot out, all that is left is to spray glue the foam down.....