Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Chinese knockoffs of Minelabs ????

Hi All,
I'm jumping over here from the Explorer forum simply because I just saw this on a listing for an E-Trac on ebay.
This particular seller has hyped the fact that his E-Trac IS NOT a Chinese knockoff.
Is there any truth to there being Chinese E-Trac copies ????
I know that Middle Easterners and Far Easterners are really flooding a lot of collectible markets and aftermarket vehicle parts markets.
But copying name brand metal detectors ??
I sent the seller an inquiry about this and am waiting a reply.
He claims he only bought it this spring,so I guess it was made after the company changed hands.
At least I thought I read that the company changed ownership awhile ago ???
Can anybody help shed some light on any of this ???
Thanks,
"dirty"

I think Etrac is still not copied by any. Seller just writes what he thinks is right and its not always right. :rolleyes: Gold minelab detectors have some twin brothers-look minelab web site for more info.

REPRINT FROM MINELAB PAGE....................................................

COUNTERFEIT PRODUCT UPDATE

With the continuing goal of informing our customers of counterfeit Minelab products being sold on the internet from unauthorised black market manufacturers and dealers we have recently become aware of a particular seller on eBay, Northeast Distributors. Please be warned

alibaba.com has most brands and models. The prices are unreal. Authorized dealers are the only way to go for detectors and accessories. HH :minelab:

I'll be darned.
I know of Alibaba through my business as a machine shop.
They turn up on Google searches I do for raw material sourcing .
Now,I wonder how one can tell if what they just bought new or second hand is the real deal or some inferior copy ??
I imagine the cheapo copy would barely work, if at all.

I haven't heard of any fake E-Tracs but I 'm sure there are some. The ones that are being faked a lot are the GPX 5000 and similar models. Those machine sell for such a huge price, they are ripe for counterfeiting. There are differences though, but someone that has never seen one before might not notice.

Well, I gotta tell you.... When I see 12 volt chargers for the battery pack go at KellyCo for $58, the battery packs themselves go for $80-115 and $50 for a lower shaft, it makes me wish I could find some cheaper functional alternatives. Minelab is awfully 'proud' of their stuff. Those prices are ridiculous for what you are getting. I just think they figure that if someone will plunk down $1000+ for one of their machines, they can overcharge for all the accessories.

Just my $0.02.

Philip,
It's kind of like a sign I saw in a car dealer's repair dept. many years ago:
Labor rates:
Subaru- $25.00 per hr.
Mercedes- $45.00 per hr.
I asked the manager what's up with that ? It's the same mechanic working on either car.
He says: If they can afford the higher priced vehicle,they can afford the higher priced mechanic.
He wasn't joking.

:rofl: You are absolutely right. Still ticks me off though. I would think the attitude should be: "These people paid dearly for their machines. Let's give them a break on the accessories."

At least they could be reasonable - the prices I listed above aren't even fair. It's like we're getting ripped off just because we want the best machine.

Didn't you ever wonder why they charge 1000 plus dollars for a machine, and sell me a 20 dollar hat so i can do free advertising?