Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaning Clad.... What's the best way?

2000nkb

Just wondering what the best way to clean the "clad" is? I have a loritone rock tumbler. I've heard of people using these. When using these do they use anything mixed with the coins and water, or just run it until they look cleaner? Still learning the ropes of the whole hobby, any hints, tips, etc. are appreciated.

I use a handful of BB sized gravel that I scooped up along the blacktop road that runs past our house. Add a few drops of dish soap to the water and tumble for a few hours. They should come out looking like regular pocket change. If not just change the water and tumble a little longer. Do not tumble your pennies or nickels with the clad. They need to be tumbled separately or they will discolor the clad. This method works well for me. I am sure there are different methods that others use. I hope a few more methods are posted to this thread. I am always looking for new ways to do things.

Daryl

What Daryl said pretty much goes. I use sand in my tumbler and some people use aquarium gravel with equal results. Always clean pennies separately and I add some vinegar with the pennies for faster cleaning, sometimes just an hour works for them. I usually let the silver colored coins go for 12 hours. This is how mine looks after cleaning.

[attachment 206382 clad.jpg]

I wash mine in the sink so there is no dirt on them,I take the dis colored quarters to work with me,
put them in the soda machine and hit the change button!
I don't know what those things use to clean them,but they come out brand new! LOL

Labradorbob

You are joking. Right? :shocked:

Nope if you put old change in a soda machine and hit the change button it will spit out new change until you get back to the old change again.

We understand that it is done, we just don't think it is a good practice and projects a poor image of the hobby. It doesn't take people long to figure out where the dirty coins are coming from and passing our dirty coins off to someone else is just not right, the club does not endorse the practice. More on the subject: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?18,1513573

I never said I did it just that it can be done. I don't find enough clad on the private properties I hunt to even worry about it.

I didn't say you did. It was just a statement on the topic, hopefully useful information to all of the newer members especially.

Actually,i caught the vendor putting new product in the machine at work and told him what i was doing.
that i had found the change metal detecting washed it and was using it in the pop machine.
He said go ahead thats great that you find them to be used again.
I have taken Quarters also to a local store and explained to them also and cashed in 20.00 at a time
for bills,they told me bring more when i got them,so there were not any negative responses from vendors
and sorry if i started a feud,no harm was meant!

I did once go to a store and try to get a carton of cigarettes with change,But this was with non dug money.
They refused it,and said they could not take that much change.
Needless to say,I told them i would never come back there, I even had a talk with the owner,but only because i had knew him for years.
He didn't know what was going on and that he would try to find out!

Anyway, We can not,not spend our clad just because it was dug up.
Just explain first why it is dis colored!

LabradorBob

No Feud started Harold and you at least washed your coins first. I know of people who don't even do that and just plunk the dirty coins in a machine, that is what is not right IMHO.