Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Cleaning old silver rings

Nutriasub

I´m having trouble cleaning some of the rings I found, only the very old ones that came up with quite a crusty cover.
Once I have removed the crust, the ring its quite blackish, and then I have put them through a light electrolysis 830secs to 1 min), and even then some are still black, other are better color but they don´t shine like the other silver, and others have a strange color.
I rub them right after with baking soda, but the black color doesn't´t come off, or they don't shine.
Should I keep zapping them?

Thanks for your help

Mine look the same way if they are very old or come from a lake I think is extra hard on metal. I found a old Spanish coin in a bezel that had a hole eaten threw it, makes me sad just thinking about it.

I do my black or blue rings (fresh or salt water) for 8-10 minutes on electrolysis.
Usually it does the job. And some baking soda at the end...
+polish if you like that.

I too have the same problem at times. Electrolysis is your best bet but BE CAREFUL!!! Sometimes I put mine in a tumbler, but some rings just won't shine. Let us know if you find a solution. Good luck.

I have good success on silver rings that have blackened using Happich Semichrome polishing paste. Just apply a small amount and work around with an old toothbrush, kleenix, or a felt wheel. Then buff vigorously with a kleenix or a clean buffing wheel. It runs around 8 bucks for a 1.76 oz tube.

I find so many I just crunch the crust off, see if they are of any special value ..if not I hit them with the wire brush on the drill.

Thanks a bunch guys!!

One question OBN, with the wire brush don't you loose some silver and shine, or they come out nice, for display?

Cheers and good hunting to all of you

I'm guessing some loss but these are in ruff condition when found and not really worthy of display. More for melt unless a detailed coin or something different.. I do like to keep my half's and good silver rings which I donate to the kids hunt at the yearly club meeting.

The rings unless a hefty one are mostly ate up, some I don't even bother cleaning...

Also I think the gold has spoiled me in to thinking less of the silver.

I tried the brushing and its perfect! it works great!
I tried with the dremmel and a used steel brush, and its perfect. The rings that didn't shine with the electrolisis, or the baking soda afterwards, now they are great.
As soon as my display arrives, I will post a picture.
By the way I found one ring that says OR 950, but its dosen´t have the PT weight to it, so I guess its silver with 950 purity.
Thanks OBN and the rest of you guys for the help

Nutriasub said:
I tried the brushing and its perfect! it works great!
I tried with the dremmel and a used steel brush, and its perfect. The rings that didn't shine with the electrolisis, or the baking soda afterwards, now they are great.
As soon as my display arrives, I will post a picture.
By the way I found one ring that says OR 950, but its dosen´t have the PT weight to it, so I guess its silver with 950 purity.
Thanks OBN and the rest of you guys for the help
That is a nice find as silver of 95 percent purity is relatively rare because it is a nonstandard alloy. Technically it is not fine silver because it falls considerably below 99.9 percent fineness. This means it is sterling silver, but more pure than most sterling silver. 950 silver will be softer than most sterling silver and will tarnish more easily. This means it is unlikely to be used in most industrial applications. Most 950 silver is used for jewelry. Sterling silver has the stamp of 925, which tells a person that the piece is 92.5 percent pure silver and 7.5 percent copper. Jewelry marked 950 silver has a higher purity than 925 silver.