Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

cleaning silver coins, least harmful if there is such a thing?

I've found a half a dozen or more silver coins like yours.
I can't tell anyone else what to do but I've found the best way to clean these coins is in a home made Electrolysis Bath - you can build one of these baths in a 1/2 hour - for under $5.00.
An Electrolysis Bath's is a safe and non-abrasive way to clean finds - just don't leave a piece in to long or it will eventually dissolve it.

As always, be sure to check the dates on ant coin before you clean it !

Good Luck !

Once I ask a conservator What to do with some silver items found in the ground, rare or not. Be carefull with everything you try she said.
But she said one thing there is harmless and good, is Methylated Spirits (these fore house keeping), together with a soft toothbruch.
I'll tryed this out, and It is okay... A step further from water and soap.
I found this link but be carefull... http://coins.thefuntimesguide.com/2008/01/how_to_clean_coins.php
Tryed Bakeing powder, after cleaning. Some drops of water and rub between my fingers. (But not Very rare coins.. leave them after cleaning,)
this makes my silver coins Very Nice and shine, but they may lose value If you ask a collector of coins.
Hope this helps.
Henrik

I have tried many methods,one good one is tomato ketchup,but i have gone back to brown vinegar just don't leave it in too long.

First a acetone bath, then soak in distilled or RO water..Both a slightly acidic..Maybe a soft makeup brush and dab the coin..

E-TRAC-OHIO said:
I've found a half a dozen or more silver coins like yours.
I can't tell anyone else what to do but I've found the best way to clean these coins is in a home made Electrolysis Bath - you can build one of these baths in a 1/2 hour - for under $5.00.
An Electrolysis Bath's is a safe and non-abrasive way to clean finds - just don't leave a piece in to long or it will eventually dissolve it.

As always, be sure to check the dates on ant coin before you clean it !

Good Luck !
Absolutely spot on advice. I have dug several silver coins that looked horrible....and After electrolysis they looked great. It removes ONLY the buildup, does not hurt the coins patina, doesnt leave scratches.....one was a key date 1920-D SLQ when I dug it, it was solid black....after three 30 second treatments, the black was gone and what I had left was a beautiful silver with a nice natural patina. Best method I have found for gunked up silver. Causes no harm if you use short repeated treatments