Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil choice

Jay80

I am considering purchasing an additional coil for my E-track. The choices are: Tornado 12x13, NEL Hunter D 8x12 or a SEF 10x12? I hunt old houses and farms in upstate NY, and would appreciate any advice.

I have the nel hunter and it's accurate with the numbers according to the targets ( of course all coils in iron will fluctuate ) . I like the coverage and it has decent separation with average depth is what I have found out and it will find silver.
it is discontinued but I called around and found one for $142.00 and yes I would buy it again.
I do like it but I usually swing the 13" ultimate and 5x10 coltek .
I can't comment on the other two coils.
Hope that helps
Roy

I have the nel hunter and it's accurate with the numbers according to the targets ( of course all coils in iron will fluctuate ) . I like the coverage and it has decent separation with average depth is what I have found out and it will find silver.
it is discontinued but I called around and found one for $142.00 and yes I would buy it again.
I do like it but I usually swing the 13" ultimate and 5x10 coltek .
I can't comment on the other two coils.
Hope that helps
Roy
Thanks 1hotwire, I will consider that coil.

And I have the Tornado. Happy with it. Adds a bit of weight to the front end though. It helped me tease out 2 iffy Mercs last week.

I run the ultimate 13", the stock coil, and in the past and near future will once again own the 6x8 SEF butterfly coil...it is a godsend in trashy areas.

I have the 6x8... love how it lets me get closer to metal fences, posts, etc to find the goodies.

I've had all the coil above...12 x 10 sef hit coins the tornado and ultimate couldn't get a peep on....deep with more separation than a 6x8...yes, I can say that !
sold all the rest of the coils mentioned and got a spare 12 x 10.
Now I believe that the 12 x 10 is as deep as the big 18 x 15 sef.

And so stable and smooth and again...separation is unbeatable for coins in iron....

AND YES.....IMHO...you never have to take it off the stick!

@Elmy-- so you never use the stock coil? I don't... tempted to sell it.
the stock coil masks so many targets ...even the 8x6 sef is better....and I don't like that little coil at all !
If you don't think so...test it against your tornado on targets. tornado vrs stock.
If I have to go small I have a solid coil the sunray x 2 that I would use in a woods or around bushes....but it has only been on my detector for testing.

Last edited:
against a fence...you get the id of the fence and any target that hits above or below that id is a different target than the fence...
you choose what you want to dig.

against a fence...you get the id of the fence and any target that hits above or below that id is a different target than the fence...
you choose what you want to dig.
sent you a video .....pm.... so you do it right.

Ronstar and I will throw on small coils and go around tennis courts in the area. Each of us have found silver rings close to the chain linked fencing. I assume people will put jewelry on a towel or sweater and forget it is there when they grab the garment, and off the ring goes into the grass.

So on to ebay it will go.

Ronstar and I will throw on small coils and go around tennis courts in the area. Each of us have found silver rings close to the chain linked fencing. I assume people will put jewelry on a towel or sweater and forget it is there when they grab the garment, and off the ring goes into the grass.

So on to ebay it will go.
Maybe you both will score this way....let us all know !

Lol!

Not to hijack the thread, but I think you have also used the ctx... coil rec for that beast? I'm just using the stock.

Lol!

Not to hijack the thread, but I think you have also used the ctx... coil rec for that beast? I'm just using the stock.
Nope...never had one long enough for an evaluation....when it missed a coin the etrac hit....It took a fast trip south...and so did my nox....
IDXMONSTER for your answer on that beast would be my suggestion.

Lol!

I have all 3 coils for the ctx. I use them all about equally. If your a serious coin hunter the 17" is a must. Don't be afraid to use it in trashy areas. I use it in the trash with the sensitivity down to 10 and pull coins.

I agree with the previous, and it really depends what you want to do. I would recommend the 17” coil because firstly, I use it the most, by far. It can be made to see the deepest of targets when run on the stable edge and it can also root out coins from trash as cw3 said. How? Remember how the initial processing works. The SENSITIVITY dictates how weak of a target return will be “let in” to be processed in the first place. Of the signals which are allowed in, HIGH TRASH will provide ID on the STRONGEST ACCEPTED target. The HIGH TRASH setting tends to work the best with some discrimination applied (that’s straight from the manual, and a verifiable finding of my own). So, as in the post above, if you run LOW Sensitivity even with the big coil, it’s not even letting in a lot of the weaker returns, which gives the secondary audio processing LESS to work with and providing a better ID on things which are easy for it to “see”...such as a coin of constant makeup and shape. Nothing you do with any settings will change the physics of how what is in the ground affects certain returns...but a lower Sensitivity in trash with the big coil simply lets the machine PROCESS less of them. You can also shorten the rod a bit and swing a couple inches OFF the ground, effectively letting less of the field to be in the ground in the first place, but depth will suffer proportionally.
I would agree that having all three coils would be the thing to do for optimization...if money is no object.

I agree with the previous, and it really depends what you want to do. I would recommend the 17” coil because firstly, I use it the most, by far. It can be made to see the deepest of targets when run on the stable edge and it can also root out coins from trash as cw3 said. How? Remember how the initial processing works. The SENSITIVITY dictates how weak of a target return will be “let in” to be processed in the first place. Of the signals which are allowed in, HIGH TRASH will provide ID on the STRONGEST ACCEPTED target. The HIGH TRASH setting tends to work the best with some discrimination applied (that’s straight from the manual, and a verifiable finding of my own). So, as in the post above, if you run LOW Sensitivity even with the big coil, it’s not even letting in a lot of the weaker returns, which gives the secondary audio processing LESS to work with and providing a better ID on things which are easy for it to “see”...such as a coin of constant makeup and shape. Nothing you do with any settings will change the physics of how what is in the ground affects certain returns...but a lower Sensitivity in trash with the big coil simply lets the machine PROCESS less of them. You can also shorten the rod a bit and swing a couple inches OFF the ground, effectively letting less of the field to be in the ground in the first place, but depth will suffer proportionally.
I would agree that having all three coils would be the thing to do for optimization...if money is no object.
@jkline
As you see , there is no reason to put the small coils on...unless you want to bump that fence...the 10 to 13 inch coils will have less a footprint with sensitivity turned down and possibly get deep enough to pull a silver coin also. They act like a small coil used this way....just a little heavier. Thanks all for the help.