Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil choices

ahunter

I have an X-Terra 705 Gold which has the 5x10" - 18.75 kHz coil and I also have the 6" - 3kHz Digger coil. The 5x10 seems to hit all the coins well. Here in Nebraska our ground does not have a lot of minerals. Trying to decide if I should get a 9" - 3kHz or a 9" - 7.5 kHz coil. Or save the $$ for fuel to go hunt.

Excellent question, ahunter.
I have the same two coils as you and have quietly been wondering the same.
My Illinois soil is fairly mild also. In addition to the choices you are considering,
I have been giving the 3khz WOT some thought for deep silver in open areas.
The gas money idea seems real nice too!
I don't have any money now so I hafta keep pondering for a while.
I'll keep you posted!

Thanks!

As I've said before, I believe that everyone with an Xterra should have a 7.5kHz DD. IMO it should be the stock coil, as it is in the UK.
Unless you plan to play in the water, the 10.5" MF DD is one that I'd put on the prospective list.

Another vote for the 7.5kHz DD coil.

In our mild soil here, we get a little more depth with the concentric coils. The DD's do have better separation and agree with you that the 705 should come with the 7.5 DD or at least offer the option. However I have a 3kHz 9 '" concentric on the way. My decision to go with the 3kHz, was based on we have a 5x10" 18.75kHz DD, and a 6" 3kHz Digger DD for the trash.

I was out of town for a few days, and didn't see your post until this evening. I'd say you made a good choice, based on your description. I live just on the other side of the Missouri River from you, so I would imagine our soil is similar. In the places I hunt, the 9-inch concentrics give me better depth than the 10.5-inch DD coils. Depth of detection is similar to the MF concentric, but the LF will definitely give better audio ID on deeply buried iron. If you hunt fields or old homesites, I think you'll like the benefits of the 3kHz concentric. JMHO HH Randy

Should have added my wife also has a 705 with the stock 7.5kHz coil. I also have an E-Trac, so when it gets heavy I go to the 705.

I have the stock 9" coil, 6" concentric both 7.5kHz. I recently got a 10" DD and was pleasantly surprised at how stable and smooth the machine runs now. The concentric's run good but are quite "chattery" and false a lot more that the DD. I find myself running the 10.5 most of the time now even in high trash areas. It still picks out the coins well and has great depth. When the trash is too much I will run AM and turn the volume down on my head phones and listen for good/high tones. Have found quite a few good coins in areas I already hunted with the 9".
I don't know what others have found but where I am in Idaho the DD is running great for me.

I have been using the 10.5 MF DD coils for years and just look at what all I find and I hunt in trash area's too.

The best rule of thumb is,, If you live in a area that has hot ground then a DD type coil will work better for you and If you live in a area that has mild ground then a Concentric coil will work better and that's based on using a Concentric coil to figure out what type of soil you have in your area. GB numbers 28 and lower is hot ground and GB numbers of 30 and higher is mild ground. Now, what ever kHz coil you want, that's up to you.

The 7.5 kHz works just fine for me when it comes to finding Gold rings Silver and Copper coins.

Not as experienced as the others who have posted replies here, but when I first got my 705, I did some intense internet searching on prospective coils that i would want in the future and found a very lively disscusion on Xterra coils.

Believe what follows was posted mainly here at findmall. Hope that this helps you....

LONG POST follows... numerous comments from several 705 users.

OPINION:

!.....