Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil cord treatment?

Knipper

I was looking through my old coils today and found my 5" X 7" Detech coil. The black cord wrap had become stiff and cracked, and the material was flaking off the coil wires. Does anyone know of a product that will keep the cord supple and flexible, and perhaps preserve the rubber/plastic cord wrap? I called Detech and they do not replace coil cords (out of warranty), so I'm stuck with it. The coil is probably 20 years old, having bought it originally for my Explorers. Other coils seem to be ok, but I'd like to keep them going as long as possible.

Yeah, I don't think the liquid tape will be adequate. As you can see, the outer sheath of the cord REALLY crumbled off! May just have to use some electrical tape and re-wrap it.
I was interested more in a product that would keep the coil cord sheath flexible and prevent hardening.

Attachments

• coil cord.jpg
    coil cord.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 108
found this for you.....

Rescue Tape it....Aquaseal, dry over night, then rescue tape it... The Aquaseal is runny, but just get a good seal on all, and even a second coat would not hurt, then rescue tape that baby...it will be fine.

To keep current rubber pliable the aerospace 303 UV protectant is supposed to be really good. It sounds weird but people have used it on engine belts such as serpentine belts to reportedly prolong the life considerably. I tend to use it for UV protectant mostly but it's done great on tires and you really have me thinking now...

Hard to say about patching up the missing sheathing though. Electrical tape would be easiest. Heat shrink tubing would be nice but the coiled section makes for a challenge.

GL and HH

found this for you.....

Rescue Tape it....Aquaseal, dry over night, then rescue tape it... The Aquaseal is runny, but just get a good seal on all, and even a second coat would not hurt, then rescue tape that baby...it will be fine.
Thanks Elmy, I'll try that

UPDATE!
After doing some research, I found a product that I'm very impressed with! It's called "Car Guys" plastic restorer. I applied it with a soft micro fiber cloth to some coil cords that I thought were getting a bit brittle, and I can't believe the difference it made. Cords are now pliable and feel 'softer', as well as bending easier. I put some on my old coils and they brought out the black shine and feel like new again. I think this product will be just the ticket for keeping my coil and headphone cords from cracking and splitting in the future!