Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil cover help!

chipper97

I've worn out 2 covers for my SEF 6 x 8 and I can't find any dealers who sell covers for it. I've seen covers for just about every other detech coil but not the 6 x 8. Can anyone help?

And a friend of mine used that spray that floats the airboat. Can't think of the name of it right now though. It worked great from what I saw..

I have covered mine with the slower set epoxy, it seemed to work really well,

chipper97 said:
MarkCZ, something like Gorilla glue? Does it hold up for a while?

Well, I do believe there is a Gorilla Glue epoxy, but I want to be clear about what I'm talking about, because when I normally think of Gorilla glue I really think of "Glue"
I'm not sure you would need a certain brand as long as its the 'Two Part' epoxy that you mix together. A lot of it is a 5 minute epoxy which is great for small areas but it will set to
fast for you to cover the bottom of an entire coil, I know they make it in a 90 minute version which is what I used.
How long will it last? well now that I couldn't say. I've never wore out a coil cover or a coil bottom, I hunt mainly grassy areas. I don't really like coil covers unless you can seal them (epoxy again) like is used on closed (boxed) in coils. See pictures.
The reason I decided to cover the coil in the my post above is because it a spider frame (open frame) coil and it just not possible to get a good seal on the coil and so they fill up with dirt, water, and sand. So I coated the bottom of it.
If you give it a couple of coats it should last a long time and if it ever wears out or gets chipped its easy enough to repair, just buff it lightly with fine sand paper and put another coat on it.

Mark

I think I've got the idea MarkCZ. I'll go to Lowes and ask for 2 part Epoxy that you mix together and check how long it takes to set. Thanks for the tips. I wore out a thin line on the front, left, bottom edge of both covers. It shouldn't take to much epoxy to get them serviceable again.

chipper97 said:
I think I've got the idea MarkCZ. I'll go to Lowes and ask for 2 part Epoxy that you mix together and check how long it takes to set. Thanks for the tips. I wore out a thin line on the front, left, bottom edge of both covers. It shouldn't take to much epoxy to get them serviceable again.

You could probably repair the coil cover as that sounds like what your talking about doing but! in my example I removed the entire coil cover and just COATED the actual bottom of the coil with the epoxy.

And to seal the cover on the little football cover I cleaned out the inside of the cover really well,
slipped the cover on,
I trimmed off a wooden match stick with its end shaped like a small paddle,
I mixed up a little epoxy,
I used the stick and dipped it into the epoxy and spread it around the lip of the cover and the coil,
The epoxy will lay out and fill itself in very well.

Here is another example of using epoxy to seal coil seams. The picture below is of an earlier version of a Fisher Labs 11" DD coil, this would be BEFORE they started sealing the seals @ the factory.
I found for these smaller short seams that the 5 minute epoxy works good but you do have to make sure that you have everything setup and ready to go once you mix the epoxy.

Yes, your second example looks like the ideal solution for my problem. It is the seam on the bottom of the coil that has cracked and run about 2 inches or so. The 5 minute epoxy looks like it will seal it perfectly. Thanks for going to the trouble to explain how to deal with this. The photos are perfect examples of what I need to do.:)

chipper97 said:
Yes, your second example looks like the ideal solution for my problem. It is the seam on the bottom of the coil that has cracked and run about 2 inches or so. The 5 minute epoxy looks like it will seal it perfectly. Thanks for going to the trouble to explain how to deal with this. The photos are perfect examples of what I need to do.:)

Great! keep in mind that if its a crack in the coil be sure its allowed to rest (set) upside for an extended period of time in an EXTRA warm and dry environment to be sure if any moisture ever got inside that it gets plenty of time to dry out before you seal it.
Also, a crack (hair line crack) would seal better if you actually widen it just a bit, or valley it a tad so that there is a reasonable amount of the resin in the crack.

Keep us posted on the progress.

Mark

Eh, sorry about that Mark. I didn't proof read my post. I meant crack in the coil 'cover' that's about 2 inches long, bottom edge, upper left. I intend to seal it with the epoxy and may consider doing the complete seal of the cover onto the coil as you have done. It is a pain having to clean out all the dirt, mown grass etc after every hunt.

Yep..it is called flex seal...Seemed to do a nice job that I saw!!............

Before you epoxy the coil itself how about wrapping the coil in a stretch plastic wrap. Put your epoxy on nice and thick then let it get really hard(a day or 2). You should be able to remove it and have a cover you can take off when you need. Put some kind of release agent on the coil before you wrap it.
Just a thought.

chipper97 said:
Interesting idea BillF. It would be neat to manufacture my own coil cover. I'll look into it.
The only way to get a strong panel like a coil cover would be Molded plastic, or maybe some auto body fiber strand (fiberglass) but when your done I figure it would be pretty heavy.

Mark

I understand what you're saying Mark. Guess I'll stick with the repair scenario. Although I still can't figure out why no one sells covers for the 6x8.

Well, no matter which way you go be careful of what you use. Some 2 part epoxys have metal in them. I think you're safe with the clear ones.

Typically if you ran across any epoxy that would have metal in it it would be for specific to "Metal Repairs" so the product may be enriched with a similar metal for which it was designed to repair, like,
Copper,
Steel, or aluminum.
Also, often times these types of epoxies are not in a squeezable two part tube, but rather in a 'Putty' that you knead together with your fingers.
But ALL of the general purpose epoxies that I've ran across have not had metal in them.

Mark