Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil cover holes

dewcon4414

As a water hunter one of the things that most of us don’t wanr is sand in the coil....especially with the Nox because the coil to me is a bear to get off. I also hate taking it off every time. Most people spend time trying to figure out what to seal it with. Well I’m thinking differently. I’m thinking of drilling some holes that allows the water and sand to drain. I don’t see it affecting the wear.....could it work?

We already get black sand in there and this coil as you know has a lot of gaps in the cross membersthat collects it. This machine is sensitive... but I’ve not noticed it being affected nearly as bad as say an explorer

Hi All, I have posted this before but think every body thinks it is a joke, so I have not put it up lately. I have used almost all brands detector they all will work the same way. Take the coil and put it in hot tap water in your sink, leave it about two mins. and the coil cover will come off ease. I use my detectors on the beach some and even in wet grass gets in the cover. I take mine off about every week even using it in the park. Try it and let us know.

dewcon4414 said:
As a water hunter one of the things that most of us don’t wanr is sand in the coil....especially with the Nox because the coil to me is a bear to get off. I also hate taking it off every time. Most people spend time trying to figure out what to seal it with. Well I’m thinking differently. I’m thinking of drilling some holes that allows the water and sand to drain. I don’t see it affecting the wear.....could it work?

Drilling holes may not be a good idea, because if instead of sand a tiny little piece if foil, or lead, etc., gets in there, then you would have to remove the skid plate out there. If you take a close look to the edge of the skid plate you will notice that it has a narrow channel all around the coil. What I would do is to fill that channel or gap with black color RTV silicone, and let it set through the night. Just remove the plate and clean both the coil and plate, dry them thoroughly. The next step is to install the plate over the coil making sure it's nice and tight, and then put a bead of silicone all around. Warning: whatever you do don't get silicone between the coil and plate, just on the surface around the narrow channel between the coil and plate. Wear rubber gloves.

The best Idea if you ask me, was provided by Flintstone

dewcon4414 said:
We already get black sand in there and this coil as you know has a lot of gaps in the cross membersthat collects it. This machine is sensitive... but I’ve not noticed it being affected nearly as bad as say an explorer

Hi Dew

You know what I did. Throw that cover in the garbage. Fill those cross supports that Minelab cheaped out on with shoe goo. Then Marine epoxy the coil. DONE DEAL. Never to false again, or to waste time cleaning..

Dave

If your beach hunting just take the cover off what I would do but sand does not seem to bother my machine at all.

I went thru a coil cover about every 4 or 5 months before using marine epoxy on it.... can’t see me just removing the cover and going for it at over $230fo a coil. I don’t have a problem getting it off. I have a small beer opener and pop it right off. Thanks all for some good options.

dewcon4414 said:
I went thru a coil cover about every 4 or 5 months before using marine epoxy on it.... can’t see me just removing the cover and going for it at over $230fo a coil. I don’t have a problem getting it off. I have a small beer opener and pop it right off. Thanks all for some good options.
Wow! You hunting everyday?? I hunt a lot beach fields yards and I’ve never ever worn one out.

I've noticed there are 4 little square notches on the coil cover on the spokes part is this for drainage?
i have a problem with sand in the coil cover as its not a very good fit on mine, plus probably the first to break coil ears.
I've manage to escape the coil wobble problem so far.

If you are using the TRAVEL shaft in the water..... you wont escape the wobble for long, ive even broken the cuff.

Another guys mentioned he cut out part of the back portion (large slit) for drainage.

I hunted for years EVERYDAY..... rarely did i miss a day. Then i gave up doing much dry sand hunting. Not going to me is like not having coffee in the morning lol. Slowed down the last couple of years. But the wear comes from keeping the coil right on the sand..... even in the water i concentrate on rubbing the coil so its like sand paper for 7 or more hours.

Tried it......and was doing ok........ until the cleaning lady of the house caught me lol.

dewcon4414 said:
If you are using the TRAVEL shaft in the water..... you wont escape the wobble for long, ive even broken the cuff.

Another guys mentioned he cut out part of the back portion (large slit) for drainage.

I hunted for years EVERYDAY..... rarely did i miss a day. Then i gave up doing much dry sand hunting. Not going to me is like not having coffee in the morning lol. Slowed down the last couple of years. But the wear comes from keeping the coil right on the sand..... even in the water i concentrate on rubbing the coil so its like sand paper for 7 or more hours.

Tried it......and was doing ok........ until the cleaning lady of the house caught me lol.
Lol that's funny in the sink I do that at work slop sink lol

Dave....... buddy..... you have to give me more than that. Soooo looks like the holes is a no go. Mostly because i found out ...... coil covers are only $18. Seems everything about the machine is a little less expensive...... i like it.

dewcon4414 said:
Dave....... buddy..... you have to give me more than that. Soooo looks like the holes is a no go. Mostly because i found out ...... coil covers are only $18. Seems everything about the machine is a little less expensive...... i like it.

OK Well, holes...holes big enough to let water out, holes big enough to let sand/dirt in. If you are in a constant state of water I only see sand going one way with holes and that is in. Only to pack and stick harder in the coil.

Dave

I very rarely use a cover on damp sand and in the water. Only if I'm hunting in rocks. No problems yet for me.

I have had a Sovereign for several years already, and right after I bought it and before using it, I sealed the coil edge with RTV silicone. The silicone is still there, and never had any trouble with it. The coil of my new Equinox will be sealed this way (explained by me a few posts above). The main thing to keep in mind is that the RTV silicone should never be placed between the coil and the cover because you will have a heck of a time trying to separate them. Both coil and cover should be throughly cleaned and dried, and the cover installed, before the following: with a gloved hand squeeze a bead of silicone around the top edge of the cover and let it sit overnight, and clean clean the excess silicone. That's is all there is to it. This is such an old fix that I just can't understand how some of you don't know about it.

RayinAlaska said:
I have had a Sovereign for several years already, and right after I bought it and before using it, I sealed the coil edge with RTV silicone. The silicone is still there, and never had any trouble with it. The coil of my new Equinox will be sealed this way (explained by me a few posts above). The main thing to keep in mind is that the RTV silicone should never be placed between the coil and the cover because you will have a heck of a time trying to separate them. Both coil and cover should be throughly cleaned and dried, and the cover installed, before the following: with a gloved hand squeeze a bead of silicone around the top edge of the cover and let it sit overnight, and clean clean the excess silicone. That's is all there is to it. This is such an old fix that I just can't understand how some of you don't know about it.

So many inches on an Equinox coil to get right so there is no water/sand/dirt infiltration. Why not flip it over fill the voids and marine epoxy the coil. Dave