Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil cover holes

midalake said:
I have had a Sovereign for several years already, and right after I bought it and before using it, I sealed the coil edge with RTV silicone. The silicone is still there, and never had any trouble with it. The coil of my new Equinox will be sealed this way (explained by me a few posts above). The main thing to keep in mind is that the RTV silicone should never be placed between the coil and the cover because you will have a heck of a time trying to separate them. Both coil and cover should be throughly cleaned and dried, and the cover installed, before the following: with a gloved hand squeeze a bead of silicone around the top edge of the cover and let it sit overnight, and clean clean the excess silicone. That's is all there is to it. This is such an old fix that I just can't understand how some of you don't know about it.

So many inches on an Equinox coil to get right so there is no water/sand/dirt infiltration. Why not flip it over fill the voids and marine epoxy the coil. Dave

That won't won't work with the Equinox coil because the bottom of the coil has numerous rectangular and square-shaped holes that are about 1/2" deep. The only thing that would work would be to seal all the cover's edges along the top with RTV silicone.

Now, your idea would work with coils that aren't hallow underneath.

Down here in the Great State Of Florida are soil is neutral for the most part so dirt in between the coil and cover not that much of a big deal but I do remove and hose down my coil and cover after every hunt, I mean how hard is that? I also clean the rest of the detector especially after a beach hunt. and as far as sealing the coil cover to the coil NEVER,

u2robert said:
Down here in the Great State Of Florida are soil is neutral for the most part so dirt in between the coil and cover not that much of a big deal but I do remove and hose down my coil and cover after every hunt, I mean how hard is that? I also clean the rest of the detector especially after a beach hunt. and as far as sealing the coil cover to the coil NEVER,

Yes, they come off easily, and I agree with this idea. I noticed that the very fine sand of the fresh water beach nearby gets in between the cover and coil, so like another poster mentioned above, I immerse the coil in hot water in the sink, and the cover can be pulled off quite easily. However sealing the cover is not a bad idea when using gold detectors, and I have done that for a long time. As long as the silicone does not get inside it will be fine, and one would not have to remove the cover to remove the sand, water, and other things that get inside. All one has to do is to rinse the coil without having to remove the cover each time.