Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil direction

Ronstar

This might be a dumb question but I’m not seeing it previously covered.

I have a SEF 12x10 Butterfly. Where the wire attaches to the coil is more to an end than in the middle. Does it make any difference if the wire is at the top or bottom when attached? Is there a polarity issue if one way or the other?
The reason I ask is I had the coil off for a bit and didnt pay any attention which way when I put it back on. It seems like I’m fighting EMI more in the one area than I usually do and realized could the coil be fighting itself? There is no top or arrows indicating up so I just am wondering. No instructions in the original box…….

Last edited:
This might be a dumb question but I’m not seeing it previously covered.

I have a SEF 12x10 Butterfly. Where the wire attaches to the coil is more to an end than in the middle. Does it make any difference if the wire is at the top or bottom when attached? Is there a polarity issue if one way or the other?
The reason I ask is I had the coil off for a bit and didnt pay any attention which way when I put it back on. It seems like I’m fighting EMI more in the one area I usually do and realized could the coil be fighting itself? There is no top or arrows indicating up so I just am wondering. No instructions in the original box…….
never done that....but to me it would be like trying to use a butcher knife , holding the blade and cutting with the handle....I really don't know the answer.
I have a yellow dot on mine exactly 2 and 3/8 inches from the top down that is the coin location when I use the wiggle back method...so I never put it on with the wire at the top......only you could have done that !

I have a habit of starting the coil wire on top of the shaft. A hair less wire nearer the coil, but don't know if it makes any difference. HH jim tn

What got me to wondering was the coil is now at the bottom. NEL shows a video where correct way to start the wrap around the shaft is to begin over the shaft and not under it. With wire at the bottom now the wire looks almost kinked (its not but…). If it were on the top then the wrap would start out smooth. With this coin pinpoint is dead center under the shaft attachment but the last couple shallow (2-6”) digs were slightly off. I guess I will reverse coil and just see what happens.

Yes, wire wrap starts over the top. But wire on bottom of coil or on top (as you look down the shaft as walking?

From my understanding, if the coil is constructed properly the the EM field is symmetrical. There is no top or bottom. The whole idea about how to wrap the coil wire around the shaft is to prevent kinks when the coil angle is adjusted.

Im not asking about wire wrap!!!!!!!! Lol. Wire connects to coil closer to an end rather than in the middle, does wire end of coil go forward looking or to the rear???????? Thats my question!!!!!’ DONT MAKE ME USE PICTURES!!!😂😂😂😂😂

Here, hopefully clears up what I’m asking. Which pic is correct or does it matter?

Attachments

• CBC1A600-A093-4297-AD29-B272311787C6.jpeg
    CBC1A600-A093-4297-AD29-B272311787C6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 145
  • 6A65082B-C7E2-4779-A0AA-DF19EC9009E3.jpeg
    6A65082B-C7E2-4779-A0AA-DF19EC9009E3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 141
my OCD says the second pic is correct... however I have watched many MDing videos with the coil wire on the left upper like the first pic.. I'm sure it doesn't matter performance wise... but the second pic makes more sense to my brain.

I’m right handed. When I tried to see if this type subject had been discussed before I could not find anything. I knew this might get some response as I simply dont know if it makes any difference or not. With the coil mounted as in pic2 it seems to be almost kinked, other way doesnt look correct either. I need to get back up there and try both ways in the area I get EMI chatter and see if one way is better than the other. Something was different last night when I was up there and just trying to figure it out.

I’m right handed. When I tried to see if this type subject had been discussed before I could not find anything. I knew this might get some response as I simply dont know if it makes any difference or not. With the coil mounted as in pic2 it seems to be almost kinked, other way doesnt look correct either. I need to get back up there and try both ways in the area I get EMI chatter and see if one way is better than the other. Something was different last night when I was up there and just trying to figure it out.
most coils have a label on them you can read as you detect....however you can also hit a good target pulling the coil toward you....
It shouldn't matter either way...just for looks ?

All depends on which side of the equator you are hunting... every machine I’ve ever used has the pigtail on the right side and manufacturers labeling is right side up but probably wouldn’t matter either way...

If one side of the coil is the Tx side and the other is the Rx side, wouldn’t one want the Tx side to lead the swing? If so, all swings should be the same direction and not back and forth, correct?

If one side of the coil is the Tx side and the other is the Rx side, wouldn’t one want the Tx side to lead the swing? If so, all swings should be the same direction and not back and forth, correct?
that is a correct scientific theory

Im starting to think the answer to my dilemma is to locate a bisexual coil that swings both ways…… 😂

😂😂😂😂😂

Picture number #2 is the way I would mount it. If mounted the #1 way it would be more apt to get hung up by the wire as you are moving forward in brushy areas. The shaft protects it more the #2 way.