Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil problem....not good

I'm thinking Minelab needs to do a bit more testing on their machines before they release them. You might try screwing it back on and then try putting an o-ring in front of it. I'm having an headphone jack issue with mine.

Yes they have made some great machines but over time
they are going down hill fast. The CTX 3030 is a great
machine but has many different repair issues it seems.
I will no longer be loyal after my CTX wears out..
Too much money for the problems we're hearing about
all the time. There's better out there these days for finding more
besides that deep silver which is always a welcome sight...
silverseeker 2

I love this machine! I use it as my primary salt water machine and use it on land. I have found some sweet finds with this that I would not have with any of my others. And this is the first problem I have ever had with it.

Now that seems odd that the connector came apart like that. Of course you can't see inside a good one to know how it broke or what small piece may have broken to allow the knurled nut to come off the end. Hopefully it is still under warranty. Keep us posted as to what is said at Minelab.

Cliff

That's the first of that problem I have seen. I have strong fear of water damage, and I screw my connectors on pretty tight and never had a problem. Like nagov said, I've seen a cut-away of a new one so I have no idea how your came apart. If it's under warranty I would send it in!

There may have been a circular ring of spring wire that acts as a keeper inside. I would think Minelab will fix it no charge if you get it to them. Otherwise find a similar connector from Digikey or Mouser (or maybe West Marine?) and find a way to swap both ring and spring. Be sure no damage to the black connector - it kind of looks like a torn thread on your photo. The whole connector is supposed to be replaceable but I've never looked into how it is done. If you need a quick fix and aren't going underwater, just plug it in and wrap the area with Loctite silicone tape from Lowes.

Totally agree with you but Kieth uses his in salt water. Not that many good choices for him, me and others when it comes to hunting salt water .... Especially if you want the good ID features. If it didn't work so well in salt water mine would be gone. All we can do is hope some company will introduce something similar soon.

RichW said:
Totally agree with you but Kieth uses his in salt water. Not that many good choices for him, me and others when it comes to hunting salt water .... Especially if you want the good ID features. If it didn't work so well in salt water mine would be gone. All we can do is hope some company will introduce something similar soon.

I couldnt agree more about it's ability in the ocean. I just got back from some caribbean beach hunting. Never had a single problem from salt water, even in wash zone which usually drives detectors batty. The CTX is mainly a turf hunter for me, but I couldn't have asked for a better salt water machine.

Agree Jason. We have used multiple underwater units (ExCal, CZ-20,Cz-21)at this site and all have one issue or another while the CTX runs smooth thru it all!

I'm bummed at how my CTX is degrading over time with use at the beach but I don't feel anything yet is really due to bad design. This coonector wasn't manufactured by Minelab and I don't believe for a second they would not choose a well known vendor. I am really impressed with the detection depth of this detector - but I do think discrimination and the user interface can be improved. I'll likely keep this puppy forever.
As far as this connector issue is concerned, I think a short piece of stainless steel wire stuck into the housing would fix it.

Mine lab detectors have always had me nervous I have had several fail in the past. Then mine lab tells me I have to pay $300 and pay shipping both ways so I just stopped using them for a while. Now I'm back but I didn't get a ctx due to costs and unreliability.

Wheat Cent said:
Mine lab detectors have always had me nervous I have had several fail in the past. Then mine lab tells me I have to pay $300 and pay shipping both ways so I just stopped using them for a while. Now I'm back but I didn't get a ctx due to costs and unreliability.

unreliability? You've been listening to a bunch of people who've never touched one. Ever notice that 90% of the people who constantly denigrate the CTX have never owned one? The CTX is just as reliable as any other machine on the market. There will always be a few bad ones regardless of what brand makes it.

Agree with Jason. I believe this coil problem is a fluke. My machine has not missed a beat since I bought it and it was kicking my biddies butt so bad (CZ-21 & Excal) that he ought one too. This thing is well built...it really is.

Keith,
I have looked at this picture before and don't want to seem stupid by this but what
I see is there is an "o" ring seal on the end, behind that is a groove and behind that
looks like where the opening is for the metal screw fits over. There also looks like
something shiny that is embedded right there that looks like what is left of a retaining
metal "c" clamp. Is it possible to take this to a hardware store and fit it with a metal
"c" clamp to hold the screw mechanism on? Just a thought.

Really do not know what was holding it as all I found was a sliver of what looked like SS wire about 1/2" long. Contacted Kellyco about this and they said it would be covered if the unit is still under warranty. The Rep never called me back so I guess I will call them back again this afternoon. Whatever holds the knurled nut in place apparently mine did not get the full piece. Fortunately it is the stock coil which I have used just once.

Stay on em! I like Kellyco but sometimes they either get too busy or you just get a
person having a bad day and forgets to return his or her calls. You know what I mean
by metal "C" clamp don't you. Your knurl or knob that screws the cable to the machine
has nothing to hold it on. In my years of farming there have been several occassions
where I had this to happen and there was one of 2 ways that the knurl or knob is held
on. First would be an expanding wire similar to a cheap key ring that when you slip the
knob over it, it springs back out with one circle of the ring seating itself in the groove and
the other springing outward to hold the knob on. Then when you screw it down, that same
springing action acts the same as a lock washer. The second way is for a 90 degree needle
nose plier application where a "c" clamp is used. You seperate the c clamp with the pliers
and place it over the groove then release into the groove where it holds the knob on.
Both of these 2 systems are used a lot on planters with the seed count monitor. That
is the monitor that lets you know how many seed per acre you drop and it will alarm when
there is a jam and the planter is not dropping. I'm sure you know the kinds of retaining rings
and c clamps I'm talking about. Actually in the picture it looks like part of a retaining ring is
still in the groove like when you were unscrewing it, it caught on the threads and broke off
as you were unscrewing it. Hope this helps.

That sounds like it will work! did not get a chance today to call them but will tomorrow. If it is still under warranty I will send it in but if not...I will be trying the c ring. Thanks!
Kieth