Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

coil question 6x10 or 950 ?

Pat in On

I just ordered a 5.3 from whites on the coupon offer ( great deal Whites thanks !!!!) and would like to buy one more coil at this point . My main interest is hunting silver coins and they tend to run in the 6+ inch range.

My soil conditions let me run Rx gain between 9 + 11 with discrimination at 82 to 86. Trash can be light to heavy , I figure the 5.3 will be the coil of my choice in heavy trash . So with the 6x10 and the 950 in mind I am having a hard time choosing . Is anyone using the 950 for coin hunting ? most posts I have read suggest it for beach hunting?. I have read a lot of good posts on the 6X10 and I am leaning towards it right now. Any info would be great.

Thanks in advance.

HH Pat

I have 5 V loops and I have tried them all---The 950 is the best--It even works great in trash---I bought it becase of the sale after Tood at Sweet Home told me they were getting many calls for that loop--You will Not Go Wrong with the 950 loop

I agree, The 5.3 and 9.5 concentric coils are the best for coin hunting. The DD likes iron too much and is better suited to a mineralized environment. The concentrics discriminate much better and are less susceptible to interference. I think an 8" concentric would be perfect for residential coin hunting, but so far Whites isn't building one. The 950 is the best right now, but you never know when something new will come along.
Good Luck
John London

My vote is for the 6 xs 10 I have mine off my dfx and use it all the time its a real jewelry finding coil and I have found a good share of silver with it too, its my main coil>

I hunted with the 950 for a couple of months and was impressed with it, but for me, the DD loops still works best. (coverage at depth, over all depth and separation) I have not tried the 6X10 but I would think you would be duplicating the 5.3 for depth, but with better separation and coverage. Like John said though, the DD loops loves the iron.

My suggestion would be to try as many loops as you can afford and sell the ones that don't work for you in your ground. I would love to see an 8X10" SEF V3 nulled loop. I like using the 10X12 SEF, but it is a bit too large/heavy for most of the type of hunting that I do and it's not V3 nulled.

I'm trying to understand what Larry and John mean when they say a DD coil loves iron?? I'm huntiing a site that has a LOT of large iron, things like large nuts and washers from old farming equipment, am wondering if a concetric coil would be better, and why?

Thanks Jim

larry

Thanks All !!!

I think I will swing the 5.3 for a while and see if I like the concentric over the DD in my soil. Lots of great info !!!.

HH Pat

When we say that DD coils loves iron, it means a rusty iron target will sometimes sound like a good target instead of breaking up as it would with a concentric coil.

Jim, If you can borrow a 950 from someone with a DFX, MXT, or M6, give it a try. Even non V nulled coils from those machines will work and you will see what we mean. I'll bet youre digging your fair share of those nuts and bolts at your site. With a concentric you'll see more coins than iron.
Carl Moreland has written a report on search coils and it is very informative. A search on this board should find it. Really good info on coils and how they work. If you will PM me, I can send you a PDF of that file or you can do the search.
Good Luck
John London

Several posters have asked for the PDF on coil design by Carl Moreland. I will be happy to send the report to you via e mail. Please PM me with a valid e-mail address, Hot mail doesn't seem to work with attachments.
It only takes a few minutes to send the e mail if I have a good address.
John London

I don't know that you will profit much from the 6x10 since it is a DD coil and will cover 10" just like the D2. It may be slightly better in trash but you have the 5.3 for that and even better in trash, IMO, is the 4x6.

DD coils work better for me and in the local ground. I guess it is up to what you like but I cannot see a real advantage the 5x10 would hold over the D2. I could be wrong though... I do not have a 6x10 and I like the D2... my buddy has a 6x10 that I am going to try out.

J

I have to go with Jbow on this one, the 6x10 is going to get closer to the depth of a 6" coil and you already have the 5.3. The 9.5 normally lets me run it at 15, I can run the D2 at 7 or less. The only problem with the 9.5 is coverage at depth. Because of the conical shape of the 9.5 field its field is quite small at full depth. I'd like to see the 8x10 SEF soon. Rob

Larry (IL) said:
When we say that DD coils loves iron, it means a rusty iron target will sometimes sound like a good target instead of breaking up as it would with a concentric coil.

I notice that the DD will very often sound like it has a good target when you're just on the edge of a piece of iron. Sweep it from multiple directions and you should be able to tell if it's good, iron, or both.