Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coil wires spiting

I bought a 8in. Tornado coil for my Sovereign GT, it was used but looked very nice.
When I got around to trying it out, it had 2 places that the sheath on the cable that
had split and you could see the wires inside. I taped them and went hunting the
machine worked great, I found a very large 14K ring. When I used it today it had
split in 6 more places. I have saw another M.L. coil wire doing the same thing.
Is this normal does Minelab know about this,is there a fix,
Thanks
Gary

People wind their coils around the shaft and never unwind it. The cables need to be cleaned and lubricated with silicone. Especially the ones used in salt water. People just don't take care of their stuff. Dry rot will set in on neglected cables. Minelab has done nothing wrong. I have seen Sunray coils and Detech coils do the same thing. Sorry about your coil. I bought one from a guy that sold me an Elite. The wire was bad going into the coil itself.

Gary,I think there was a bad batch of ML coils made.The brittle outer cord will continue to crack and break.The wires inside are usually good and will function fine,but the cosmetics are bad and this hurts the resale value.Good Luck Ron

I have 4 here with the same issues, All are 10 inch coils....never seen a 8 before. Main thing is to keep it dry or water will wick into the coil and you will have problems.

You might try some liquid tap before you put electric tap on it. At least its a replacable coil. I recently read something on the Kellyco site about water proof coils.

Water resistant: May be splashed, washed, used in drizzling rain, or moved through wet grass. Must not be submersed under water.

Water proof: Submersible to 1 meter. Ideal for shallow water wading and gold prospecting in shallow streams

Like Joe said try and keep it dry.

Dew

All I can say is get that silicon spray stuff. Rinse coil an wire good with fresh water. Then coat it really good with silicone spray. You might wanna have cable rwplaced in yours or get a new coil altogether.

Tape it then put some of this over it and tighten down with zip ties. Ugly but protective:

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/blackloom.php?gclid=CL3szdrFlLgCFahcMgodpi8AsQ

Hey Gary,

I have two coils with this same problem, an 8" and a 10".

I took them, and two of the same without the problem, to a large cable manufacturer
here in my city.
The appointment I made to speak to the owner was worth my time that's for sure.

One look and he gave me the answer as to what led to this situation.

First, looking at one of the bad cables he asked, "what environment is this exposed to?".
I answer, "sun, wind, salt water, sand, etc.", he laughed........

Then he spilled the info.

He said, "see this outer insulation here on the cables that don't have a problem?"
"This is a Urethane outer", "see this one that has broken down?", "it's PVC"....
"PVC can't endure a salt water environment, to make matters worse this PVC outer
doesn't contain the UV additive to protect it from the sun."

We back and forth a bit about how the manufacturer didn't stand behind the product
and replace the units that were obviously the result of a bad batch.

Then he asked me, "Do you know what happened here?"

I told him I had my suspicions.

It went like this he says, "Someone in purchasing contacted a cable supplier to purchase cable,
either the supplier was out of the cable the purchasing agent asked for, or the subject came up
of a cable that is the "Equivalent" at less cost for some other reason".

"Purchasing agents aren't engineers they are only concerned with cost."

"No one on the manufacturing floor said anything when the cable with the shiny outer showed up,
or if they did ask about the change they were told "That cable is the equivalent".
Regardless, the cable was used to produce a finished product that later failed.

"These two cables "are equivalent", in every specification, the wire size, amount of wires,
current flow, maximum voltage, etc."
"But, they are only equivalent in an "indoor application", they are not equal in regards to the
environment they can withstand."

He goes on to say, "We make cable for the petroleum industry for use on their oil drilling platforms"
"All of it has a Urethane outer with the UV additive"

Guys, it took me two weeks to get an appointment to speak to this man, I think they may have done
a background check on me.
The place was beautiful, pictures of military and civilian aircraft, and several of the space shuttle
were hung on the walls of the lobby.
I was walked back to a conference room, all along the way,...... the place looked like CSI Miami.
all the walls and doors were thick clear Plexiglas.

This company makes some cable that is not available to the civilian market, government only.

I would say this guy hit the nail right on the head.

I suspected the same scenario he laid out as too how this cable came to be used in production.

So there you have it.

These are the 10" coils I showed him........

9227942871_f82c5f9a6c_c.jpg

9230725218_c26b95d580_c.jpg

Take note:

The PVC outer is shiny
The Urethane outer is dull

Minelab stuck it to their customers, they saved some money on cable, and sold two coils
to a good many people who should have been good to go buying one.

I suspected the same.I purchased a bunch of a coils from a seller in Vegas a couple of years ago.All these coils needed connectors and most had cracks on the outer cord surfaces.They all worked fine once a 6 pin connector was installed.One coil with a small crack I used shrink tape on fell completely apart after using a couple of times.My guess ML would have serial numbers of these bad coils.HH Ron

Hi Gary,

I do not have any replacement cable. If you could find some cable I can do the swap. Maybe someone with a broken coil could donate the cable to you.

Bob

I've had the same problem with my EXCAL's , and I use to use Black ElectricTape until I was vacationing in Florida, and a friend of mine Personally Recommended the RESCUE TAPE
from West Marine Store!! I read the Spec's onthe package and was immediately IMPRESSED!! The tape comes in various colors/SALTWATER PROOF!! Also, it is Pressure Tested
to withstand EXTREME PSI and EXTREME Temperatures!! I used it on (2) different spots on my 10" Tornado Slimline Coil, and thought I had it RESOLVED, but the Splits are continuing, so I bought a Used 10" Older BBS Coil, and I'm going to have the Coil Swapped Out!! It sells for approx. $12 a Roll and "I LIKE IT"!! Check it out and BEST of LUCK!!
Les Robinson