Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coils Coils Coils is better than oil oil oil:usan:

jimpugh

Having built my share of coils in the day and knowing what i know about the black art ......epoxy shrinkage has always been a royal pain.....this problem has been around for a long time I have seen how some manufacturers deal with it ......usually it involves a process of having the ability to retune the coil.....meaning you open it up and manually set it back on the money ....the trick is to take it a little further just a hair and as it shrinks over time it becomes more true instead of less true....there are different types of epoxy some better than others .....
The fact that Whites has pushed the envelope with the Spectra is a GOOD thing ......I remember a certain manufacturer came out with a Bisexual coil ..:lmfao:.HeeeHHAEEAAee.. No just kidding that gave them fits and still can be a problem to this day......Coils are the heart beat of any detector this.... IS where all Data must pass........Do You Take proper care of a coil that will Rx at 15 with TX Boost turned on...... Do you leave them in a car parked and locked up out in the sun that Acts like a blast furnace to all electronic component's..... do you store your gear in a cool dark place......My 950 and D2 and 5.3 all smoke ....and walk the dog.....these are precision coils.....they need to be treated as such not ax's to cut down pine trees and wild brush....If they go out of tune eventually Or the harmonics Drift .... will I get PO'D ....:rant: ..... No I will be HAPPY.... to go to my local Dealer and cherry Pick the best coil in his Shop and Pay cash to make him happy and me happy ........With any great undertaking or Laudable Goal.....one must persevere.....The money is in the ground ....know Your gear and take good care of it ...It will pay at least Ten fold! to the persistent hunter..... Treat her sweet and buy her a new dress once in awhile.......AND she will take you for the ride of your Life!!!!:inlove:

Happy Trails
jimpugh

Thanks for the great positive attitude post Jim, it is so refreshing to get away from "The Sky is Falling" posts.

All the coils I have are fine. If they do go out of tune, my local dealer is 15 minutes away or next day UPS. Service.

nw1886 said:
All the coils I have are fine. If they do go out of tune, my local dealer is 15 minutes away or next day UPS. Service.

The problem is that the rules have changed and Whites will not replace a coil that car run in air with Rx of 15 with TXB OFF. I can't see dealers doing a coil swap if they have to carry the cost when the Factory starts saying "we say it is OK so we're not going to replace it for you (the dealer)".

Customer's are always Right at Anchor!
We Eat, sleep and poop metal detectors ....that's what we do year in and year out!
First question that comes to mind.... Do you regularly hunt in ground that can handle the after burner ON.... TX Boost ON....and 15 preamp gain......I have sugar sand and the big money fish I bag are super deep....I can push it till it starts to rattle at MACH 3.....with one hand on the ejection lever.....What a ride.....
Know Your local dealer.... Become his Friend....:buds:...take him to a decent spot.....If he is like me he has been pounding the same spots for 30 years and still pulling the bacon out of the ground....true measure of success is the friends one makes along the journey of LIFE...

Happy Trails
jimpugh

The thing with coils is they ALL age in to different specs. All I'll want is one that can handle TX anyways and it'd probably be the D2 or 950. If Carl can see the epoxy thing through to a longer term aging in, that will be great and I'll be sure to have one by the time the two year warranty ends. Plus...many of my coils are only DFX rated and they punch deep fine. (6x10 even handles TX and it's 5 years old.)

I help folks with a lot of brands and almost always a problem is user error. If you have a problem fine. Be danged if I'll go into nervous ninny mode before there is a problem too. This internet thing can really skew perceptions and realities. Learn your machine. Know your dealer. Never has let me down.

I have been tweaking on my 950 with the after burner On ..:nerd:...it appears to be deepest in my soil....
I do have some sites further north that the D2 would be the ticket at least in the camp hunting mode...
Carl and Whites Are the Best .......they are on it .....they are making tremendous strides in the Industry....
Some people that are new lack the Patience of the old TR hunters back in the day when we spent more time tuning than digging....
I will never forget my first White's it was a Cadillac 5000D VLF/TR.....It found a lot more and retuned with a push of a button on the handle..:detecting:..That was Sweet!!!
My V3i does every thing but serve cold beer, chips and televise the ball game.....

Happy Trails
jimpugh

jimpugh said:
My V3i does every thing but serve cold beer, chips and televise the ball game.....

That might be asking a bit much for a metal detector. :)

But here are a few suggestions for the next generation:

1. A clock display so you don't have to keep checking your watch.

2. A radio or iPod jack so you can pipe music through your headphones while digging those deep targets.

3. A microphone on the headphones to go with #2 so you can take a call without having to stop detecting.

:)

n/t

Jim, if it did that you wouldn't need a woman...

:drinking:

J

n/t