Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coiltek CTX is a Winner! Impressions, pics, vids and FINDS!!!

Hi All!
I have not posted in a while but wanted to be more active again. Since I got a CTX over two years ago, I have longed for a coil that was bigger than the tiny 6in and smaller than the stock. I was excited when I heard that Minelab had licensed Coiltek to make an elliptical coil for the CTX. This coil seemed to fit the bill but I wanted to thoroughly evaluate the CT before getting too comfortable with it on the machine. Most seem to assume the coiltek will be primarily useful in trashy areas of areas with a lot of iron. Since I already have a trash coil in the 6in, I was hoping that the coiltek could do more...

I had the week off this last week so I decided I would hunt with the new CT all week to develop some impressions. I also did some unscientific air testing for those who are interested. As you can see from the air test videos that the coiltek is not bad on depth. In my unscientific testing it demonstrated 80-90% of the depth of the stock coil.

When I went out hunting, I used my typical A+3 setting. I found the coil was stable and immune to bumps. The TIDs were in line with what I typically get on other CTX coils. As you would expect, pinpointing was accurate and very easy. The coil is less susceptible to iron falsing but it is not immune. You would be advised to go slower with this coil than with the stock coil. Separation is excellent! It is at least as good as the 6in maybe better! The depth readings where very good with one caveat. The surprise was that as targets are deeper than 6in the readings tend to underestimate the depth! For example a target at 7in might really be a 8in. The depths on deeper targets were occasionally underestimated but never seem to be overestimated. The 17in coil overestimates depths and this drove me crazy for awhile since I dont always dig shallow targets. On three hunts, I found about 25 wheat pennies and some neat tokens but no silver with the new coil. On the fourth hunt, I was busily rescuing wheats, and got another 12.43 hit at 6in. I assumed another wheat...

Here are some pics of the coil and some comparisons with other CTX coils (6in first and then stock)

Here are the vids...

Stock coil airtest Manual 25 sensitivity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qnvypK7DN8

CT CTX Coil airtest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2U9y96Nilkg

First Silver Find!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuNMKri3bh4

So this was the first silver find, a 1903 barber dime.

I think I will Keep this coil on the machine for a while!

Shelton , is interesting. I was waiting for the 11 to be tested in comparison throughout the whole video. What I took away was coiltech needs to be swing slower than the 11 .

shelton7522 said:
What about this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAcdQfEWN3M

I didnt perform that test separation test myself, but a couple of issues come to mind with the one you referenced. The targets were not far enough from the coil to give meaningful results,imo. The stock coil test was probably misleading because those targets were likely double hitting on the coil giving an impression of greater separation.

shelton7522 said:
But stock can, Coiltek not... what is the point?

That is not the result of the test you linked...

I think I made my point quite clearly. Do you know what a double hit is?

Coiltek can't separate each object at fast sweep if you compare to stock... and at 90 degree with nail you lost signal at all. What about that?

Nearly 600 looks and the only discussion this generates is trolling about someone elses test? :surrender:

A buddy of mine had one and loved its discrimination capabilities in our high trash parks BUT....sent his back to Coiltek and got his money back because it floats like a boat. Personally....I refuse to pay 400.00 for a coil.

Porsche, my first impressions are similar to yours. The Coiltek will read lower on deeper targets so if you have a 7" target, it may read 6". I would recommend using manual instead of AUTO+3 since you will get better signal strength. I find the separation to be awesome, better than the 6". I think its a keeper for now. Patience....

I hunt occasionally with a friend that has the 5 x10 . In trashy parks and with a variation of Monte's nail board test where we insert targets into a 6" block of styrofoam , there is little discernible difference.
He can get a little closer to metal in the totlots