Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin cleaning

I'm cleaning some nickels and dimes now, took a before pic of coins. Will post pics when i get them out. The quarter's in the last load look like i just pulled them out of my pocket. After i pull them out of the tumbler i rinsed them off then took a towel and dried them off.

How long do you run the tumbler when cleaning coins?

The last bunch I ran from about 8:00 pm until 5:00am, then when I came home from work I ran it for another 30 minutes. You can check it every couple hours then pour contents back in tumbler.

What Is "CLR"?

Mark

MarkCZ said:
What Is "CLR"?

Mark
I was going to be snarky and say "Google it", but here is a link... http://www.homedepot.com/p/CLR-1-Gal-Calcium-Lime-and-Rust-Remover-4-Case-CL4/100670293
b382ef45-e8a1-458c-802e-1cb948c23f52_1.9abd02797d6b62c1f17e52f81793062b.jpeg

I would have said that for modern milled coinage then that cleaning method is well worth doing but for older coinage like our silver hammered coins then all i do is run them under a tap and use a very soft tooth brush as i would never like too damage a possible rare and valuable coin,over the years have seen many coins ruined because folks have used either chemicals or even the horrendous electrolysis method using a phone charger.

Modern spendable coinage from say the beach then chemicals would make a massive improvement appearance wise but on older coinage that could be say a key date or valuable then leave well alone and just wash under a running tap or even get professional advice to be on the safe side.

Here's some pics, my first load of quarters had a 5c token in it. Was surprised to see it cleaned up to the copper color. The after coin's look like new. There are maybe 2 or 3 that have a faint red color.

Be care full when cleaning pennies, let them tumble overnight to find the tub swollen with pressure and stuck in the tumbler. CLR must react to the copper. Tumble them during the day so you can keep an eye on them. I also change the CLR in the tank every 3-4 hours.

Ran pennies through again this morning for about 3 hours, did build up pressure again. Also ate holes in some of them. Looks like above 80's plated pennies are the one damaged. Cleans them to a perfect copper color. BE CARE FULL when cleaning pennies and check tumbler every couple hour for bulging container.

I separate all copper coins and use only non sudsing ammonia-1 tsp per quart tumbler load, run for a few hours and cleans them right up. Then I run copper same same-no etching or color transfer that way-John

I used 4 capfuls of clr in a load of dimes quarters and nickels, tumbled 1 hr and they got the dreaded copper colored tint to them. What did I do wrong? There were NO pennies in the load.

we must have a diff formula here as CLR blows the lid of my tumbler with gas build up...

less is more I think Mcdetect .

AJ

For cleaning pennies I use a Lortone tumbler with a 3lb. Barrel. Put about 125 pennies w/epoxy coated pea gravel and fill with water just above the coins and gravel, and 1 tablespoon of cream of tarter spice, tumble one hour and lay out on a towel and pat dry. You will be amazed.

Be very careful when using any kind of acid to clean coins, sometimes only a few minutes is all it takes and real easy to to over do it eating down to the copper core as some of you have found out.

I find soap water and rocks are the best way for me. I will use vinegar in a glass jar for the cents and roll the jar several times, 15 to 30 minutes is about all it takes. This is how my coins look when I take them to the bank.
[attachment 346229 clad.jpg]

Can anyone say if CLR will help clean some ancient Roman coins that are heavily corroded and will it eat the brass? Thanks in advance

No one should use Chemicals to clean Coins. Old Coins should not be cleaned but those with no collector value can easily and quickly be cleaned by Stainless Steel media and a squirt of Dawn Dishwashing Soap in Water. This only takes about two hours tumbling.

Zinc Pennies will get holes in them.

Galen1066 said:
Can anyone say if CLR will help clean some ancient Roman coins that are heavily corroded and will it eat the brass? Thanks in advance

I wouldn't use CLR on anything valuable or copper , silver soak in CLR and tumble for that new look and feel that's if they are bullion grade otherwise if valuable get them professionally cleaned by PCGS or NGC if they do that then have them graded, anything in between use your own judgement and then live with it :biggrin:

as for clad mine is like your nickels same composition and I can safely say its a bastard to clean..... :rage:

lucky our other coins are as simple as soap and water and an hr. in the tumbler so you win some you win some right :buds:

AJ