Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coin Depth..

LS hunter

Whats the max depth on a dime and nickel..I know this is a loaded question...Thx Greg..

It can not really be answered as there are many variables. such as, coil size, strength of mineralization, moisture content, proper setup of the machine for the environment, orientation or the coin, how close is it to iron or other trash, swing speed (goes back to proper setup), did you get the coil over the coin so it can find it.. etc etc

Loaded question indeed. Only you can answer that question with your ears, settings, EMI and ground. Your ground (mineralization) is the biggest variable.

With all settings the same except GB, I can hear a quarter at 7 inches in mineralized ground yet on a white sand beach, the quarter could be heard at 14 inches, even deeper in all metal mode, larger coil, ability to hear weak signals, etc.

One of the best ways to find out is go out in your back yard, bury one and experiment. This will give you some idea, but it still won't tell you what you might experience in the field, because of all the variables already mentioned.

It might be loaded but I'll make a personal observation after running my V3i all this time. I have found a few nine inch pennies but never a 9" quarter. What sense does that make after 5 years? There was one time when I found what I called a 9" Barber quarter find but a buddy that day scoffed when he looked in the hole after the dig. That was using an SEF 8x6 coil, running hot.

I've never found 8"+ coins with the 10D2 or the 10x12, so I decided to back off the gain and sense and just feel good that the V will tone good on a 7 inch quarter here at home.

As far as dimes or nickels? Nickels fade fast in depth detection, found none more than maybe 6 inches here. Maybe it's my ground, my machine, or simply just me.

I should add though. I hunted an ex GFs yard years go, the yard had been top filled with nice loamy soil, and I seem to remember digging some dimes at maybe 9-10". That was rare for me to dig in sweet soil here in Texas. So, we're getting right back to a loaded question I guess.

What Larry (IL) said about variables is the rule. You also have to know how to optimize the settings for your soil. The soil I hunt in is often of high ferrous content here in CT. Many places I hunt that have a littering of rusting nails and small ferrous junk that tends to throw the ground tracking off and I pick a clean spot to GB and then lock the AutoTrac and check the GB and re balance often. Stating that up front first, I have few test targets that are now about 5 years old in the ground. It's not as elaborate as the mature test plot I had years ago before I sold the last house I lived in. I can hit my 10" reliably, repeatedly with the 10" DD. I have not dug quarters at more than 8" but have found a few silver ones at that measured depth. Silver dimes and bronze cents just over 7" going real slow and rechecking anything that gives a high audio tone...pinpoint then rescan.
Having in ground targets to test the settings on (I believe) is the ONLY way to get the know the V3i. I've had mine for 4 years this month. The ability to go out back and change up the settings to see how they impact my ability to recognize a dig signal has key to attaining a level of comfort and competence with this detector. My clad quarter at almost 7" even - I can hit it on every pass with the 5.3" ( I call it a 6" coil). I have 6 different coils for my "V" and have to spend time over my test targets with each to learn what to expect.
I haven't posted in months but your question tugged at me for a reply because I know quite a few who gave up on the V3i because they felt they couldn't get it to punch as deep or as clearly as another model or brand. It is soooo adjustable and that is a love it or hate relationship.
Good luck with yours.
HH - Bruce