Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coins, Coins, and Coins

Here's a sample of the coins I've been able to liberate from mother earth. I have tubs full of wheaties, and a whole bunch of other containers with all sorts of goodies in them, but I wanted to post up this sample.....just for fun!

Check out that Great Coat button, gold gilt.

Nice haul. I have a similar button found on the farm here. What do you think it was off of?

woody said:
Nice haul. I have a similar button found on the farm here. What do you think it was off of?

That's definitely a colonial-era button off of a coat similar to what a guy like Thomas Jefferson or John Quincy Adams would have worn. It's actually called a great coat button.

kschae4 said:
Very impressive mix of finds...As Doc wrote, more info and details, please

Not sure what you fine detectorists are looking for in terms of details but I'll try a wee bit.

Most of the coppers are too crusty and/or worn around here when you dig them, I imagine the fertilizers in the fields aren't too agreeable to copper. Every now and then I'll get a date on one. The majority are George II. The dates of the coppers I've dug are anywhere from 1730's to 1790's.

Every once in a while I get lucky and out pops a Reale. I have dug halfs, 1R's, and a 2R. Carolus. I've dated one of the halfs to 1731.

And of course the Largies. I call them that. U.S. Large Cent. Those, along with the Indians, are always a treat.

There are some war nickles in there. I've a little spot where there was some WW2 activity and hit that area from time to time.

I've developed some site strategies over the years. I like old farm lanes, where they intersect with old railroad crossings, or sunken roads that were abandoned years ago. I also seek high ground, looking out over a stream. Not mountain type high ground, just a knoll, where folks might hang out to hunt.

Most of the farms I've been to have a location of buttons. I'm not sure why, but I've been on several farms that I'll hit an area say 50 yards by 50 yards, that has a bunch of buttons, and often times a thimble or two. Maybe they tossed them in the field when they were beyond repair, I'm not sure.

Hope that sheds some light on these things. I live in a nice part of Pennsylvania that affords ample opportunity to swing, providing I can secure permission from landowners to do so.

Thanks!

Howdy ansehnlich1--

Some great finds there! Your display represents a LOT of fun. Congratulations! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

It's always great to see a large bunch of old dug coins in one photo - a big congrats !

Howdy ansehnilch1--

I'm sure that you had a LOT of fun digging all of those dandy finds. Every one of those finds has a story behind it. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

ansehnlich1 said:
kschae4 said:
Very impressive mix of finds...As Doc wrote, more info and details, please

Not sure what you fine detectorists are looking for in terms of details but I'll try a wee bit.

Most of the coppers are too crusty and/or worn around here when you dig them, I imagine the fertilizers in the fields aren't too agreeable to copper. Every now and then I'll get a date on one. The majority are George II. The dates of the coppers I've dug are anywhere from 1730's to 1790's.

Every once in a while I get lucky and out pops a Reale. I have dug halfs, 1R's, and a 2R. Carolus. I've dated one of the halfs to 1731.

And of course the Largies. I call them that. U.S. Large Cent. Those, along with the Indians, are always a treat.

There are some war nickles in there. I've a little spot where there was some WW2 activity and hit that area from time to time.

I've developed some site strategies over the years. I like old farm lanes, where they intersect with old railroad crossings, or sunken roads that were abandoned years ago. I also seek high ground, looking out over a stream. Not mountain type high ground, just a knoll, where folks might hang out to hunt.

Most of the farms I've been to have a location of buttons. I'm not sure why, but I've been on several farms that I'll hit an area say 50 yards by 50 yards, that has a bunch of buttons, and often times a thimble or two. Maybe they tossed them in the field when they were beyond repair, I'm not sure.

Hope that sheds some light on these things. I live in a nice part of Pennsylvania that affords ample opportunity to swing, providing I can secure permission from landowners to do so.

Thanks!

Thanks for adding some details, HH