Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Coins on edge

dewcon4414

Something worth mentioning for those using the OLD program. You might remember one change that the new program made..... fixing that coin on edge problem. Im not a real coin hunter any more on the beach.... im looking and concentrating on gold. By Jan i should have hit the 1000 hour mark with the Nox....... mostly using the old program. Recently i was working a local beach pretty hard with the Nox and had about ran out of targets worth digging. So i grabbed the ole blue Xcal and hit it the other day. For a couple of reasons..... i hunt in PP mode which is deeper and may just be equal to the Nox IN THE WATER for me, and i wanted to see what it might find. The Nox gets a little chatty on this beach. Well at the end of the day ...... i was kind of surprised. I got 2 pennies..... and nothing else but quarters..... lots of quarters..... $3.50 worth of quarters. These quarters were at least a couple of scoops deep and BLACK. So a few things could have happened, but not taking the Nox to compare im not sure, i could have been out a little further, some sand moved just enough to allow me to find them, OR..... the old program just missed them. To me it isnt a big deal.... UNLESS it does the same thing on silver rings. They arent worth much those rings........ but by years end quarters add up for those who use their change to pay for equipment. Something worth testing between the two programs if you dig a lot of coins.

'The early "blurb" indicated the 'Nox' "success" would be at the expense of [ high-conductor's ]

From testimony, hearsay and from personal 'Nox' use, this doesn't particularly apply inland!
But, when pushing things to the max with detector fully submerged in salt water this shows up [ the Achilles heel ] they warned about.

I have a youtube video showing how a quarter just vanishes. I would think with the detector in that state you’d just walk over most of them. Part of it seems to do with the coin itself. Europeans don’t seem to be complaining.
We need you to go back with both detectors and excal first followed up by the EQ and do a video proving your suspicions.
We need to figure out why some users see no issues and others feel like they/we are losing our minds or getting too old for this (detector).
I sure hope Minelab is working on a 3rd shot at good firmware.

One thing I didn’t try and haven’t seen others try is the coin on edge testing in single frequency. I really haven’t tried single frequency at the beach either. Maybe there is a fatal flaw with multi? Worth just trying next time things dont look right.

I was hunting in the water. Also have a detector buddy who says he looses more targets in the hole. I tend to agree...but rarely are these targets not in the hole.

My carrot sounds off on the water.
The target has always been less than 5” from the last scoop taken.

dewcon4414 said:
Something worth mentioning for those using the OLD program. You might remember one change that the new program made..... fixing that coin on edge problem. Im not a real coin hunter any more on the beach.... im looking and concentrating on gold. By Jan i should have hit the 1000 hour mark with the Nox....... mostly using the old program. Recently i was working a local beach pretty hard with the Nox and had about ran out of targets worth digging. So i grabbed the ole blue Xcal and hit it the other day. For a couple of reasons..... i hunt in PP mode which is deeper and may just be equal to the Nox IN THE WATER for me, and i wanted to see what it might find. The Nox gets a little chatty on this beach. Well at the end of the day ...... i was kind of surprised. I got 2 pennies..... and nothing else but quarters..... lots of quarters..... $3.50 worth of quarters. These quarters were at least a couple of scoops deep and BLACK. So a few things could have happened, but not taking the Nox to compare im not sure, i could have been out a little further, some sand moved just enough to allow me to find them, OR..... the old program just missed them. To me it isnt a big deal.... UNLESS it does the same thing on silver rings. They arent worth much those rings........ but by years end quarters add up for those who use their change to pay for equipment. Something worth testing between the two programs if you dig a lot of coins.

When the Equinox first came out my friend had his in waist deep salt water running the old program since the new one did not exist. He found a small gold ring and some pennies in about a two hour spin. Myself and my other friend gave him his hole and hunted elsewhere. I used a Multi Kruzer and my friend blue Excal. After my friend with the Equinox gave up and left we worked our way back to the point that we dropped in at. This took us thru my Equinox friends hole. 17 quarters and 8 dimes later we left. We theorized he had been cherry picken gold. When I got home and shared my report he was upset. He had not heard a single one of those quarters and had dug only 2 dimes. Something was going on but I don't know what. We all run the update program now.

My ONLY concern might be that id miss some GOLD honestly. But i did test both programs pretty well and found little to NO difference in how they reacted to gold or depth on angle or other wise. So, yes this may end up being some sort of CHERRY PICKING. But ... i dont think anyone will be able to prove or disprove it in the salt water without a partner. Today ..... i wished i would have had the Nox and i could have tested it. Two of us hit a beach and got several silver coins...... unfortunately both of us opted to use our Xcals.

I’m seeing a pattern of events come together with this machine, the more I read and the limited time but frustration with the Nox.

From past experience with the V3i, it was very disappointing on salt beaches, my conclusion was the added upper frequency that didn’t like salt water.

Now follow me for a moment. Sovereigns, Excalibur, and explorers, 3030, worked great on the beach but missed small stuff, my conclusion is they favored lower frequencies.

They were also very stable and enjoyable to hunt with on the beaches.

Now enters the Nox, sensitive to small gold which is usually associated with higher frequencies.

But remember the V3i, didn’t work like the 2 frequencies DFX that was like 3 and 15khz or? and 15 kHz.

Finally you’re seeing low sensitivity to quarters which is typical of higher frequency machines.

My Elementary brain may be wrong but my Colombo instincts tell me otherwise.

Curious is to what y’all think?

Hey Dew

If anyone knows the GT/Excal pinpoint mode it is I. However it will not be till April that I will be able to give a comprehensive comparison on the two machines. Scary though it is if the Nox is missing quarters..............

Dave

Ive got a lot of hours on all of the BBS/FBS machines myself. Dave about the only right way to test it is .... with someone else. JT you are right.... in your thinking. Im seeing more high freqs being used for both sensitivity to gold and depth at the beach especially. Dont discount the Xcals in PP...... the smallest chain ive gotten this year was a POINT 4 Gram.... with the Xcal not the Nox. So i wouldnt say these machines wont find small gold. But i will say..... just not as deep. Ive also found running your tones to high on targets like quarters (tone 25) makes them appear very small to the ear. Running that high tone made sun glasses and cans sound smaller and shallower too...... so i backed it off to 22 and it seems to work better for my ears. Im testing it the next couple of days .