Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compact?

WXDirt

Thought this might be some sort of makeup compact at first. But it has some sort of military insignia on it...no other markings.

[attachment 272431 DSCN2743800x477.jpg]

Inside the lid, there's a smaller foil-lined cavity of some sort. Found this inside an old house...don't think it's silver or anything. Just very curious as to what it is. pill box? Eucharistic host vessel? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

[attachment 272432 DSCN2744800x600.jpg]

Thanks!

It looks like it could be the 33 degree of some masonic temple emblem. I'm not sure what the emblem is on.

Hi WXDirt, Looks very much a Vintage (WW2) ladies compact. Sure looks like silver to me! Many women served in the US Armed services back then and I bet there may be some sweet old lady somewhere yet that would love to tell us all about the history of that Eagle /shield /33. Great find, and surely much more research needs to be done on it. HH, Charlie

Larry (IL) said:
It looks like it could be the 33 degree of some masonic temple emblem. I'm not sure what the emblem is on.

Kind of starting to think you may be on to something, Larry. Tried to get a better photo of it, but the symbol is tiny. Definitely rifle butts below the eagle. Dates appear to be 1607 and 1889...can't quite make out the writing in the top banner yet.

[attachment 273020 IMG_20130826_083623.jpg]

There are 6 crosses on the front cover around the edges (you can see four of them in the first photo)...it is not magnetic...not sure these clues help any...?

I have spent more time on this puzzle than I should..........:laugh:

IMHO:

I don't think it is a U.S. item especially with those dates on it and I think it might be made of German silver (Nickel Silver) :shrug: and it dates before 1900 (I think) when they did not have to stamp purity. The number 33 is the highest you can get in Freemasonry I believe. The only eagle I could find with a 33 is this one.

[attachment 273035 33rd-eagle.gif]

Insignia of the 33rd (and highest) Degree of Scottish Rite Freemasonry

Maybe this will give someone else a direction to go.........:beers: I sure would like to get this solved, it's bugging me :biggrin:

How far does the lid open??
Could it have been a pocket ash tray?
the missing part could have been to hold a cigarette.

HD,

Cover opens just beyond 90 degrees...as shown in the first photo. Still no idea. Kind of smells like female war paint of some sort...has a make-up-like scent...well as far as I know. :huh:

In 1607, Virginia, The first permanent English colony on mainland America was founded by the Virginia Company of London and called "Jamestown, Virginia".

"The Negro in the Military Service of the United States, 1607-1889,"
Also, there appears to be two flags, right and left side. One appears to be a USA Flag with unknown (total) number of stars.

This book, Recording America's past : American historical writing, 1607-1889 correlates with the same years and supports an American origin. Not too much happened in 1889 but Washington Territory became Washington State, the 42nd state of the USA.

Foundation of Hull House, Chicago: (visit the museum) - It was at Addam's Hull House that the Chicago School of Civics and Philanthropy flowered. The principles of active occupation and adaptation promoted by Dewey and adopted by Hirsch, Lathrop and Addams were taught there to its students Eleanor Clarke Slagle and Mary Potter Brooks [later] Meyer. It was at Hull House that the Faville School of Occupational Therapy was established, and Slagle later taught, a school founded and supported by the Chicago Mental Hygiene Society" (source)

12.6.1889 Charter of the Grace Hospital Society, approved by the General Assembly (of?). Grace Hospital was founded as a homeopathic and eclectic medical institution. All 31 incorporators listed in the charter were members of the Connecticut Homeopathic Medical Society and the Connecticut Eclectic Medical Society. (source)

11.11.1889 Washington Territory became Washington State, the 42nd state of the USA

1889 Boas secured his first academic appointment which was at Clark University in Worcester, Massachusetts.

Johns Hopkins Hospital opened

By the creation of a [New York] State Commission in Lunacy in 1889

SOURCE