Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Compadre fixed coil -

tab-nabit

Wouldn't you think that if Tesoro would stop making the fixed coil on the Compadre, make it coil changeable, tack a little on the price for the interchangeable coil feature, they'd sell more and customers would be more happy to pay the little extra?
Or wouldn't it be nice if sending a Compadre in that has the fixed coil, they offer to change it to interchangeable coil for a reasonable fee and keep warranty intact.
I don't mind having 2 Compadre's (have 5.75, recently bought 8"), but after all this time and all folks mentioning fixed coil for the Compadre, Tesoro would finally get around to an interchangeable coil Compadre.
Just today, a friend wouldn't buy a Compadre just because of the fixed coil. But then again, he bought the Silver instead which cost a little more (maybe Tesoro threw this as part of the scheme of sales), only because he might want to change coils (if he buy's any others) in the future. It kind of seem he wanted the Compadre for his 1st detector, but lost interest about the fixed coil. Although he bought the Silver, it could have been something else.
I think it's time... or past - just saying.

Then it would need a ground balance mod!
Then it wouldn't be a Compadre any longer.

Many detector up line models are really just the down line version with some tech features either omitted, or disabled. In electronics its features that becomes a marketable commodity and that equals to $$$$$ to get it functional you pay for it, it can be there and disabled and its free. For the most part it.

I would ask Tesoro users what's the closet detector in the Tesoro lineup that has interchangeable coils, and a manual ground balance feature? And they're may not be anything, but I'm betting there is.

Mark

tab-nabit said:
Just today, a friend wouldn't buy a Compadre just because of the fixed coil. But then again, [size=medium]he bought the Silver instead[/size] which cost a little more (maybe Tesoro threw this as part of the scheme of sales), only because he might want to change coils (if he buy's any others) in the future. It kind of seem he wanted the Compadre for his 1st detector, but lost interest about the fixed coil. Although he bought the Silver, it could have been something else.

Think about this.
They have stated in the past they made this thing too good, and it takes sales away from their other units up-line.
In sales, this is a problem when customers prefer lower end products rather than upper end...less money and profit overall for the company.
A good mixture is preferred, some low, some mid, some higher end, but I suspect the Compadre being so good as it is and popular not just as a beginning detector, (the actual goal of the company), but also as a specialized tool for those in the hobby longer has skewed their numbers and ratio a bit.
To their credit they came out with the larger coil model, although also with a fixed coil, and I was flabbergasted that they still charged the same as the smaller coil when the obvious thing would have been charge a bit more.
They had the perfect excuse to do this and no one would have batted an eye because it sounds very logical that a bigger coil might cost more, but they didn't.
Flabbergasted...

There is no good reason for them to make the Compadre model interchangeable with other coils to further compound their problem and take even more sales away from their models that already do.
If they did they would not make more money, they would make less when you take yearly sales numbers into account.

I think Tesoro's line up is laid out pretty well with the exception of the Cortes.

The Silver uMax does have interchangeable coils and many people have changed coils. I haven't yet because the 8" concentric has just been an awesome coil for me. In theory the Silver should be ground balanced when changing coils, but not many people do and they have good luck with it. The Silver does have a circuit board ground balance pot, but being just a single turn pot, I am told it is very touchy.

I don't totally know what I'm talking about here, but I thought Monte stated that the latest-model Eldorado has the ED-180 setup. Someone recently noted the Compadre also has the ED-180.

So would the Eldorado be a full-featured version of the Compadre?

I am a dairy farmer and when I think of the Compadre I think of it like this. We have a big 140 horse power 4 wheel drive tractor and we have an older small 40 horse tractor, there are things the 140 horse power tractor can do that the 40 horse power tractor can't and there are things that the 40 horse tractor can do that they 140 horse can't. Sometimes you need a tractor with small wheels or coil as in the case of the Compadre. And we have no reason or need to put larger tires on our small tractor because it works so good with what it has ;).

cubsqueal said:
I don't totally know what I'm talking about here, but I thought Monte stated that the latest-model Eldorado has the ED-180 setup. Someone recently noted the Compadre also has the ED-180.

So would the Eldorado be a full-featured version of the Compadre?

No.
Different circuitry between the two among other things.

The Tejon has ED-180 as well. So, I don't see why I couldn't ignore the second disc,
Preset the ground balance,
Put on the 5.75" concentric coil,
turn the sensitivity down to about 25 percent,
Don't use the toggle (no pinpoint mode)
and do Everything the Compadre does??

Mark

Tha COMPADRE was made as a beginner detector. Simple and easy. I like it the way it is. I don't want to tell everyone how great it really is. There wont be anything left to find. When I wanted a few more adjustments I got the Silver uMax And a few other Tesoros... KEN

MarkCZ said:
The Tejon has ED-180 as well. So, I don't see why I couldn't ignore the second disc,
Preset the ground balance,
Put on the 5.75" concentric coil,
turn the sensitivity down to about 25 percent,
Don't use the toggle (no pinpoint mode)
and do Everything the Compadre does??

Mark

Sounds logical, but in real life that sometimes does not turn out to be true.
The Compadre still does not have the low noise-high gain circuitry that most other Umax Tesoro's possess.
The true 180 ED thing they both have on board isn't all there is too this.

I have read from owners that have used both that out of all the Tesoro models the Tejon is the closest to the sensitivity of the Compadre and will also pick up the smallest of the small targets and also do a few jaw dropping things that the Compadre can do.
"The Tejon is a Compadre on steroids" is a description I have come across.

Can the Tejon do everything it does and still do all of the things the Compadre can do just as well, in that I have no idea since I never had one in my hands.

I would be very interested to know if the Tejon can do one specific thing that the Compadre can do effortlessly.
Will it double beep on a target near, next to or even leaning on big metal like a coin or any other target will do even actually leaning on big tot lot iron?

My Vaquero can't do this no matter how hard I try with the sense at all levels and even using the 5.75 concentric coil.
Nothing I have ever swung with any coil can do this like a Compadre can, if at all, and is one of the main reasons I love mine.
Also chains.
I have never swung anything that seems so attuned to pick up these things in pretty much any size.

If the Tejon can do this double beep thing along with everything else it is noted for including extreme sensitivity I would say it could be considered a Compadre clone and also much more.

REVIER said:
I have read from owners that have used both that out of all the Tesoro models the Tejon is the closest to the sensitivity of the Compadre and will also pick up the smallest of the small targets and also do a few jaw dropping things that the Compadre can do.

I believe you would also have to include the Lobo.

I've read a lot of post here in the Tesoro forum and I'm thinking that a good number of compadre owners main success is hunting Tot Lots and that's fine, but I've read that the Compadre's are not a very deep running machine and that's fine too, so it might seem that the compadre's claim to fame is shallow coin and jewelry hunting. And many of the compadre owners want a manual ground balance and changeable coils, so If I'm reading things right, then as specific of the Compadre's style or type of hunting that its used for actually leaves it just as limited outside of that. But, on the bright side, its a bargain at $160.00
I'm thinking that if "ALL" Tesoro detectors were all sold for $160.00 the Compadre wouldn't be the top seller, I'm sure that there is another model that could be setup and detuned to hunt shallow fresh dropped items every bit as well as the Compadre.

Mark

MarkCZ said:
REVIER said:

I believe you would also have to include the Lobo.

I've read a lot of post here in the Tesoro forum and I'm thinking that a good number of compadre owners main success is hunting Tot Lots and that's fine, but I've read that the Compadre's are not a very deep running machine and that's fine too, so it might seem that the compadre's claim to fame is shallow coin and jewelry hunting. And many of the compadre owners want a manual ground balance and changeable coils, so If I'm reading things right, then as specific of the Compadre's style or type of hunting that its used for actually leaves it just as limited outside of that. But, on the bright side, its a bargain at $160.00
I'm thinking that if "ALL" Tesoro detectors were all sold for $160.00 the Compadre wouldn't be the top seller, I'm sure that there is another model that could be setup and detuned to hunt shallow fresh dropped items every bit as well as the Compadre.

Mark

Yes, probably you can probably add in the Lobo, but I usually read the Tejon mentioned more in the same breath as the Compadre.

I have found a bunch with my Compadre, gold rings of all sizes, chains in all sizes made of gold and silver among a ton of other great treasure and even though I do hunt tot lots when I come across them none of them were found there and all were found in the dirt.
It is a great fallacy that the best use of a Compadre would be mostly in tot lots even though it does excel in that environment.
My greatest success with it has been nowhere near those lots.

As far as depth the new 8" coil Compadre can go pretty darn deep in the right soil.
I had some experience with one last summer and I was impressed.
My 7" coil Compadre with the sense turned up to max will also easily hit the 7-8" depth mark on coin sized objects in my great soil...much deeper on large targets.

Also Compadre seems to have quite an ability to pick out targets in some heavy iron sites as some very successful coin and relic hunters that hunt fields that have been pounded over and over with top end units like E-Tracs can attest to like goes4ever.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1963234,1963234#msg-1963234

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,2001540,2001540#msg-2001540

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?17,1988023,1988200#msg-1988200

All I can say is I do have a Vaq but not a Tejon or any of the upper end Tesoro's and since I don't I am very glad that I have a Compadre available to use when I need it.

Pound for pound there is nothing more value oriented out there if you consider what it can do and especially at the price it sells at.

I think the Compadre fits in it's own niche very well and, as is, fits a very reasonable price range. As a business model, I think Tesoro would be foolish to change it, expecially considering if you wish to change coils, manual ground balance or whatever there are other models to handle that.
BB

I agree with you BarberBill, If it ain't broke , don't fix it. The Compadre is fine as it is, just pick the coil size you prefer and hunt. If you need to change coils then step up to the Silver or whatever.
I have a brand new 8 inch Compadre I can hardly wait to take out to the farm field house sites and see what it can find. I'd be willing to bet it will be just as good as my Vaquero in these sites......HH

Roger

I wish I could talk some of you guys into air testing these Compadre's with the different coil setups. I would like to see how my Tejon stacks up to the different Compadre's. I will go first see picture, the coins are the only thing that I think would be a fair comparison, if any body cares to do a little air testing.

Ron in WV

Call me crazy or nuts if ya want but I got it back and I must say My Grandson did a great job on modding the compadre to use all three coils I have for it now the 4 inch ,5,75 inch and the 8 inch now just got to get past these Chemo treatments and get back to swinging it

Hi Barry,

Your Grandson did a very profesional looking job, it apears to be a factory job. Get better soon.

Thanks Hombre He is very talented in Soldering as when he brought it he pulled everything apart and wanted to show me what it looked like compared to his silver Umax connections and by george I could not tell any difference clean and secure . Now to just get back out and give it a try Thanks for the well wishes as well HH

Barry, your Grandson did a fantastic job, looks factory done. I hope you get well soon.