Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Comparing the V3 to the V3i - What should I be looking for?

TC-NM

In comparing the V3 to the V3i upgrade, what should I be looking for? I see all the ads in magazines and in Whites website. Alot of blah, blah, blah. New this and that. But is it better? I'd like to hear comments, likes/dislikes, etc. I heard Whites got rid of "Coins" program but kept "Coins & Jewelry" program. . . Is that right? Did Whites replace the Active Analyze Screen with Polar-Plot Vector Analysis or can I have both?

Presently, I have a Vision which was updated from 1.0 to 1.3 (headphone volume adjustment, new headphone pads, new screen & buttons). Should I send mine in?

Thanks,

TC-NM

I used to have one of the original Vision V3's and just got me a V3i (not the upgraded V3) today. Yes the Coins programs is gone but the Coins & Jewelry is still there. Not sure about the other screens but I'll find out tonight.

The V3i is worth the extra money whether you upgraded or buy new and the Coin program is still in the V3i, just moved off of the Programs main menu and is in the Library of programs. If that is a program that you would use, just move it back to the Programs menu. Most users favor the Coin and Jewelry program for general hunting and that is why White's moved Coins to the Library.

White's added the Polar plot to the Analyze screen mode and you have your choice of screens or you can make a custom screen for analyze mode.

I would recommend the upgrade for the $100 plus $25 for shipping, even if you do not use any of the new features, it would certainly raise the resale value if you ever decided to sell it. Some users have noticed a more stable and quiet V3i.

Larry (IL) said:
The V3i is worth the extra money whether you upgraded or buy new and the Coin program is still in the V3i, just moved off of the Programs main menu and is in the Library of programs. If that is a program that you would use, just move it back to the Programs menu. Most users favor the Coin and Jewelry program for general hunting and that is why White's moved Coins to the Library.

White's added the Polar plot to the Analyze screen mode and you have your choice of screens or you can make a custom screen for analyze mode.

I would recommend the upgrade for the $100 plus $25 for shipping, even if you do not use any of the new features, it would certainly raise the resale value if you ever decided to sell it. Some users have noticed a more stable and quiet V3i.

I have the Vision and had it upgraded to the i, and found it well worth the money.:thumbup:

I upgraded my V3 to the V3i. I didn't feel it was worth it however I do agree with Larry, it may help with the resale value.

I have to agree with Schrecky. I really don't see this upgrade improving depth or sensitivity. The polar plot looks interesting, the coil size adjustment is nice, but just not worth the money to me. I worry about the sensitivity being adjusted down to compensate for the coil null shifting issues.I really got uneasy when test standards for good/bad coils was continually changed to the point that even third party coils now pass the test. Whites has been good about replacing even coils they deem good by their current standard. This at least shows that their customer service is as stellar as it ever was. Don't expect to get a whole new detector back if you send it in for the upgrade. I don't mean to be negative here, but I purchased a Vision right off the bat and feel this upgrade should have been for free. Why should I pay to be a guinea pig?

Jack

I havent sent my V in for the upgrade and dont think I will be.The V3 I bought has proven itself to me time and time again.With all the complaints in the beginning about EMI,which were probably for the most part users trying to run the detector to hot,something nags me in the back of my head if this upgrade to the V3i is something that detunes the V3 for stability gain.While I have nothing but respect for Whites,my V3 wont be going to Sweet Home unless it up and dies.

I do a lot of Local Park hunting, and once I got The Polar Plot thing down, I have yet to dig a Bottle cap, which adds more time to find the good stuff in my 4-5 hour hunt times. So yes the upgrade was well worth it. Especially if I do 3 hunts a week @ 15 hours, Just do the math. that saves a lot of time. for just a small $150 up grade. well worth to me

Well, I have both now and will be testing them side by side just like I did with the E trac. I will report what I find and you can trust I will be honest in my findings.
I do have the experience with these machines so that will not be a factor anymore. I have only used it one time on a real hunt and it does seem to be different just not quite sure how?
I run my V3 at rx 12 and disc 92 with the D2 coil and this time with the V3i I had to run at rx 9 and disc at 85 with the same D2 coil. Location was different though so that could be it.
I will run over some places that I am real familiar with and see.

I hope this doesn't turn into an argument like the last one...but it shouldn't. They are both great Whites Products!

I had my V3 upgraded to the V3i and feel it is a little more stabil.The depth still appears to be the same,I cant say for positive though for I haven't got out a lot with the heat. But have found several pieces @9-10 inch mark.Will need some cooler weather and I will be finding out for sure.I feel it was worth the money but still hold that by getting one of the first Visions I should have got a better shake ,but oh well it still turns out to be the best all around machine. H.H. Yazoo

I have drawn the same conclusion Yazoo. The upgrade seems to be a bit more stable and I don't use the other new features.

I wonder if upgrading to the i for 125.00 will bring in an extra 150.00 for the V3i over the V3 or if it would just be a wash. I am giving mine a little more time, once it isn't near 100 degrees outside... but if I don't start liking it more real soon I am going to be thinking of letting it go. So, I don't want to spend 125 bucks on it unless 1: it is going to make me like it more or 2: it will increase the resale value considering the extra 125 bucks spent... I don't know about either.

It's always something isn't it?

Julien

I Don't think its about the money,or making anymore extra money. It's about having the best that can be had for all that is offer'd from Whites. It is a great machine as the V3 ,what one defines as better will be up to the V3i owner.What is better to me may not rate the same to another.If you doubt what you have or are just curious go for it, upgrade then you have you answer. H.H. Yazoo

I'm not really cool with the balance, and I am sure that is completely a thing that is unique to me and my back... but I love the colors and curvy lines. Maybe it's a "guy thing" I don't know but the V3 (as I have said before) is the sexiest machine I have ever used. It is beguiling.

J

Last month Ebay bids were going $100 bucks higher on The V3 compared to the V3i, I'M still trying to figure that one out?

Thanks for all your input, your likes/dislikes, kinda feel better now in deciding what to do.

TC-NM {+_+}

I know this is totally old.. So what should the version say on the screen when the update is done? I thought 1.3 was the updated number after sending it in? Maybe I am wrong.

Thanks

Americanmr said:
What is the polar plot and how do you use it
polar plot is kinda like the sizing screen where it shows u the signal . In polar plot it graphs it on a 4 way graph . Basically your looking to straight lines up and to the right to indicate a good metal target like copper silver or gold . Trash metal like bottle caps are all looping around

In my humble experience with the V3i, polar plot works on shallow targets only. I have not had a reliable indication past 5"