Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Comparison - Manticore vs EQX 800 vs Explorer SE Pro

Charles (Upstate NY)

I'm starting this comparison thread. I ordered the Manticore the other day, it's inbound. I have a EQX 800 and Explorer SE Pro charged and ready. As a managing director of software development I'm going to get into the heads of these newer machines vs the Explorer SE Pro.

EQX 800 vs Explorer SE Pro - I have compared these two machines prior. The SE Pro still crushes the EQX 800 in some areas, just as it crushed the Etrac and CTX before it. Hence the SE Pro has remained been my #1 machine all these years.

So why bother with the EQX 800 and Manticore? Because sight conditions have changed. After decades of sites getting pounded by Explorers it's slim pickings out there on the few targets they are still capable of getting a signal on. Advantage EQX 800/Manticore for the following reasons.
  • EQX 800 and Manticore have new capabilities the SE Pro can't touch. An ability to get hits on targets that are completely invisible to an SE Pro. One example is small gold. The EQX 800 does quite well on small (I'm talking tiny) gold in the 1-3 inch range that is completely invisible to the SE Pro even if you rub the gold directly on the coil. I put the EQX 800 up against a GPZ 7000 last year on this tiny gold and it held it's own.
  • Coins straight up on edge, also completely invisible to an SE Pro yet the EQX 800 hits them hard and at pretty good depths. I was stunned honestly.
  • Target separation - Having dug untold thousands of targets with an SE Pro I know it's limits on target separation. Deeper iron and shallow non-ferrous trash are it's kryptonite. This trash casts umbrellas of trash signal out polluting the nearby area, hiding nearby coins and desirable targets in it's shadow. Here the EQX 800 and Manticore seem to have an advantage. With some loss of depth according to Minelab.
  • Ground mineralization? It looks promising. Here in the Pacific NW it's nasty. Explorers have always had difficulty punching through the volcanic black sand mineralization here. I think it's worse than even that red clay stuff down in Virginia. Deus? Been there tried that, an improvement but still nasty. The EQX 800 was noticeably more stable and gave stronger signals on targets vs the Deus and SE Pro which was the worst of the three by far. There was a site with gobs of WWII coat buttons here I used as my test site. Dug a bunch of them with all three machines. Winner EQX 800.
EQX 800 good enough? For me no. Compared to the SE Pro it's a step backwards, more primitive in a key area. Which I understand given it's price point I'm not dinging it. This is also the reason I ordered the Manticore. The Manticore could finally be the machine that gives me the key SE Pro feature I need, plus all the new capabilities. The EQX lacks a 2D target ID screen like the SE Pro Smartfind. I'm sure a numeric display is fine for virgin sites or shallow easier targets but on pounded sites most of the good targets remaining are in the high difficulty level. Where the ID can be jumping all over the place, not a fit for a numeric display. Ground plus multiple iron/trash signal mixed with the desirable target signal.

Users of the Explorers back in the day probably remember "bounce patterns". While the ID is bouncing around there are patterns to the bouncing that repeat. The most classic is the rusty nail/iron false bounce pattern as an example. It's pretty much 99% accurate at identifying iron falsing. That has saved me a LOT of digging and time. It has also found targets hiding in iron. Wait a minute...yes when a iron falsing bounce pattern is not consistent, get interested. The great thing about that pattern is it's consistency, textbook. But when it's bouncing iron falsing 2-3 out of 3-4 swings but the cursor occasionally jumps to a coin location, iron alone does not do that. The old triple whammy, iron, iron falsing, coin. So a target not adhering to it's bounce pattern consistently is also information. Found many a iron stain silver that way. Merged signals are another. SE Pro's will merge metals together into an oddball metal and target ID. That it's odd and ID's in weird areas is the tipoff. Now the EQX 800/Manticore superior target separation likely improves on these but if you program your EQX 800/Manticore for max depth you give up some of that separation so the 2D Manticore screen may balance the playing field. For high difficulty targets a 2D display like the SE Pro Smartfind screen makes things much easier, at least for me. The Manticore 2D target ID screen isn't the Smartfind screen of old, but looking through the user manual it gives you a lot of options to customize. Tone, pitch, areas, discrimination. it's pretty robust. I may be able to craft it into something as good, or better than the SE Pro.

EQX 800 Side Note: One key piece of information confirmed by Minelab on the Explorers back in the day is, they transmit at 100% max power no matter what your settings are. That means you can't reduce or tone down the machine with your settings e.g. reduce power. All you are doing with your settings is removing pieces of the 100% best possible signal from the coil. Slicing and dicing. This is fundamental to understanding what your settings are actually doing. Next and even more important is, the order in which the machine applies your settings. The classic mistake on an Explorer is, increasing the gain and decreasing the sensitivity. That's backwards because Gain is simply amplifying what's left of the signal AFTER the sensitivity settings was first applied. When a deep faint target was eliminated (cut out) from the remaining signal by having the sensitivity set too low, there's no target left for Gain to amplify. With this in mind I contacted Minelab again just as I did on the Explorer with the same questions. I'll have to go find that response from them and post it here.

I enjoyed reading your comprehensive review and sounds like you have truly merged with the Minelab Explorer. I feel if you give the Manticore it’s due diligence like you have done with the Explorer, you’ll be successful.

@JimmyCT yes I have mind melded with the Explorer at this point.

Worst Target Signal Ever? - Saltwater beach on the wet sand. The target crosshair did not move, no target tone, the only indication of a target was the threshold tone went HUMMMMMMMM who would even notice something that slight let alone dig it. But several 1700's Spanish 8 Reales had been dug in that area that morning. My buddy who dug them had not been able to find any more. He was using a CTX or Etrac I don't remember. So he asked me to give it a try. I walked 3 feet and...heard the above. The tip off, it repeated. That barely perceptible wobble in the threshold tone would repeat. I told my buddy, "I don't know what's down there but there's something down there." We dug a 2 foot deep hole, stuck the Explorer coil down in the hole and it was screaming silver. 4 hours later we had recovered over 40 Spanish 8 Reales in that hole. Exhausted and the tide coming in filling the hole with water we gave up and a couple guys who had been watching took over. I heard they dug a couple more.

Here's the oldest I still have it, 1751 Spanish 8 Reale world coin. World between the pillars of Hercules.

1751.jpg

Hello Charles ; I will be looking forward to your continued testing of the units. Way back when I also used the original exp and then the exp II. I didn't move beyond the exp II on account of alot of hunters in our club found the se pro a step behind the exp II. The e-trac seemed heavier to me and the ctx got to be pretty expensive if memory serves me right. I have the nox 600 right now, but truly am a complete rookie using it
I sure did like the exp II tho.
Mark ( ohio )

I'm starting this comparison thread. I ordered the Manticore the other day, it's inbound. I have a EQX 800 and Explorer SE Pro charged and ready. As a managing director of software development I'm going to get into the heads of these newer machines vs the Explorer SE Pro.

EQX 800 vs Explorer SE Pro - I have compared these two machines prior. The SE Pro still crushes the EQX 800 in some areas, just as it crushed the Etrac and CTX before it. Hence the SE Pro has remained been my #1 machine all these years.

So why bother with the EQX 800 and Manticore? Because sight conditions have changed. After decades of sites getting pounded by Explorers it's slim pickings out there on the few targets they are still capable of getting a signal on. Advantage EQX 800/Manticore for the following reasons.
  • EQX 800 and Manticore have new capabilities the SE Pro can't touch. An ability to get hits on targets that are completely invisible to an SE Pro. One example is small gold. The EQX 800 does quite well on small (I'm talking tiny) gold in the 1-3 inch range that is completely invisible to the SE Pro even if you rub the gold directly on the coil. I put the EQX 800 up against a GPZ 7000 last year on this tiny gold and it held it's own.
  • Coins straight up on edge, also completely invisible to an SE Pro yet the EQX 800 hits them hard and at pretty good depths. I was stunned honestly.
  • Target separation - Having dug untold thousands of targets with an SE Pro I know it's limits on target separation. Deeper iron and shallow non-ferrous trash are it's kryptonite. This trash casts umbrellas of trash signal out polluting the nearby area, hiding nearby coins and desirable targets in it's shadow. Here the EQX 800 and Manticore seem to have an advantage. With some loss of depth according to Minelab.
  • Ground mineralization? It looks promising. Here in the Pacific NW it's nasty. Explorers have always had difficulty punching through the volcanic black sand mineralization here. I think it's worse than even that red clay stuff down in Virginia. Deus? Been there tried that, an improvement but still nasty. The EQX 800 was noticeably more stable and gave stronger signals on targets vs the Deus and SE Pro which was the worst of the three by far. There was a site with gobs of WWII coat buttons here I used as my test site. Dug a bunch of them with all three machines. Winner EQX 800.
EQX 800 good enough? For me no. Compared to the SE Pro it's a step backwards, more primitive in a key area. Which I understand given it's price point I'm not dinging it. This is also the reason I ordered the Manticore. The Manticore could finally be the machine that gives me the key SE Pro feature I need, plus all the new capabilities. The EQX lacks a 2D target ID screen like the SE Pro Smartfind. I'm sure a numeric display is fine for virgin sites or shallow easier targets but on pounded sites most of the good targets remaining are in the high difficulty level. Where the ID can be jumping all over the place, not a fit for a numeric display. Ground plus multiple iron/trash signal mixed with the desirable target signal.

Users of the Explorers back in the day probably remember "bounce patterns". While the ID is bouncing around there are patterns to the bouncing that repeat. The most classic is the rusty nail/iron false bounce pattern as an example. It's pretty much 99% accurate at identifying iron falsing. That has saved me a LOT of digging and time. It has also found targets hiding in iron. Wait a minute...yes when a iron falsing bounce pattern is not consistent, get interested. The great thing about that pattern is it's consistency, textbook. But when it's bouncing iron falsing 2-3 out of 3-4 swings but the cursor occasionally jumps to a coin location, iron alone does not do that. The old triple whammy, iron, iron falsing, coin. So a target not adhering to it's bounce pattern consistently is also information. Found many a iron stain silver that way. Merged signals are another. SE Pro's will merge metals together into an oddball metal and target ID. That it's odd and ID's in weird areas is the tipoff. Now the EQX 800/Manticore superior target separation likely improves on these but if you program your EQX 800/Manticore for max depth you give up some of that separation so the 2D Manticore screen may balance the playing field. For high difficulty targets a 2D display like the SE Pro Smartfind screen makes things much easier, at least for me. The Manticore 2D target ID screen isn't the Smartfind screen of old, but looking through the user manual it gives you a lot of options to customize. Tone, pitch, areas, discrimination. it's pretty robust. I may be able to craft it into something as good, or better than the SE Pro.

EQX 800 Side Note: One key piece of information confirmed by Minelab on the Explorers back in the day is, they transmit at 100% max power no matter what your settings are. That means you can't reduce or tone down the machine with your settings e.g. reduce power. All you are doing with your settings is removing pieces of the 100% best possible signal from the coil. Slicing and dicing. This is fundamental to understanding what your settings are actually doing. Next and even more important is, the order in which the machine applies your settings. The classic mistake on an Explorer is, increasing the gain and decreasing the sensitivity. That's backwards because Gain is simply amplifying what's left of the signal AFTER the sensitivity settings was first applied. When a deep faint target was eliminated (cut out) from the remaining signal by having the sensitivity set too low, there's no target left for Gain to amplify. With this in mind I contacted Minelab again just as I did on the Explorer with the same questions. I'll have to go find that response from them and post it here.
Charles, Back then, I always enjoyed reading about your recoveries and helpful tips. I enjoyed the Exp II for about 12 yyears. I still have it and a few bigger coils. I have the 800 and it has helped me recover silvers and other stuff at the sites where I used the Exp.
I don’t have a Manticore or 900. I do feel either the manticore or 800 will get you more targets in your area. New tech and separation as well will assist you. You’ll need to learn the nuances in the bouncy numbers, but for you it won’t be a long learning curve. I jumped ship to a wireless unit and enjoy it. But, I really miss the display and bouncy numbers of the EXP. I stopped hearing the Wrobble sound due to hearing loss, so I moved on. Your best bet is a test bed to get started. Best of luck and have fun out there!
Tony N J

Charles, Back then, I always enjoyed reading about your recoveries and helpful tips. I enjoyed the Exp II for about 12 yyears. I still have it and a few bigger coils. I have the 800 and it has helped me recover silvers and other stuff at the sites where I used the Exp.
I don’t have a Manticore or 900. I do feel either the manticore or 800 will get you more targets in your area. New tech and separation as well will assist you. You’ll need to learn the nuances in the bouncy numbers, but for you it won’t be a long learning curve. I jumped ship to a wireless unit and enjoy it. But, I really miss the display and bouncy numbers of the EXP. I stopped hearing the Wrobble sound due to hearing loss, so I moved on. Your best bet is a test bed to get started. Best of luck and have fun out there!
Tony N J
I have plenty of GOLD to test including the $1, $2.50 and $5 gold coins more common out west. Hmmm speaking of GOLD...

liberty2.jpg

WHOA ! You didn't dig them in the Hudson valley. Did you join Parker Schnables crew by chance ? Like my old neighbor used to say.. " thats a nice "
Those are from the famous "Potato Patch" mine I visited in my area. That's just what was dug that morning and picked out with a detector from that dark grey dirt pile. Named the Potato Patch because they find nuggets the size of Potatoes.

liberty1.jpg

I have plenty of GOLD to test including the $1, $2.50 and $5 gold coins more common out west. Hmmm speaking of GOLD...

View attachment 43852
Anxious to see your test on native Gold.
Why didn't the Explorers do good on native gold ?
Never understood that. I have the xs.
Just heavy now.
Recently purchased the Legend and Manticore.
Trying to learn them.
Love your write up. And in depth explanations.
Did you write a book ? Should ...
I chose the Manticore because of that 2D screen.
Reminiscent of the old xs. With better separation.
Hopefully I can figure this one out.
Please keep it coming.
And Thank You !!

I sampled a bunch of targets today with the Manticore and made some observations. I used mostly default settings...All-Terrain, General, Sensitivity 26, Multi IQ, All Metal

Observation 1 - The numeric display becomes a jumble of jumping around numbers (useless) well before max detection depth is achieved. The good news is target tone remains quite consistent almost to the max detectable depth, long after the numeric ID becomes useless. Some variance of tone pitch at the very extreme detection depth.

Observation 2 - Higher swing speed improves detection depth and tone, significantly, that's new. There seemed to be no upper limit, the faster the swing the more depth achieved and the more the target tone improved. Faster than I'd ever swing an Explorer.

Observation 3 - Manticore has finer granularity of target ID. Tone and ID vary even within a single coin type. See the silver dime samples below, tone and ID varied from 72 to 83.

Observation 4 - Coins at 45 degrees produced a distinctive tone shape. When swept from one direction the tone was solid and steady, monotone. When swept in the opposite direction the tone began at the same pitch then sloped down as the swing was completed. So say a steady 78 tone from one direction then a 78,76,74,72 from the opposite direction. That distinctive tone behavior will be a tip off that the target is sitting at a 45 degree angle. Though that is with the coin angled 45 degrees left to right. If the coin was angled 45 degrees front to back when swept that might produce a different behavior. I generally circle a target so no big deal but I will re-test.

Observation 5 - Hits coins straight up on edge quite well at significant depths. Greater than I recall the EQX 800 achieving. Strait up on edge coins also produce a distinctive tone shape, a double beep as you sweep across it. As if it's striking one side of the coin, then the other. Another thing, the ID and tone pitch was consistently a few points higher than when the same coin was swept sitting flat to the coil. Perhaps certain frequencies are weaker on a coin straight up on edge, leaving other frequencies stronger and that is pulling up the ID and tone pitch. The manual states different frequencies can change the ID so there you go.

Observation 6 - The Manticore with these settings is a nickel thumper, really good thick/strong signals on them. Like silver dimes I saw some target ID/tone variance even within the batch of nickels sampled.

Observation 7 - Not so great all small gold with these settings, I think the EQX was stronger so I'll have to experiment with settings to improve that.

Observation 8 - Thumps gold rings strong, crazy depths on those especially that thinner womans gold band about the diameter and thickness of a nickel.

Observation 9 - As the manual states the numeric target ID can vary typically +-1 point even when sampled at shallower solid signal depths. I gave up recording the range at some point and just posted the middle or most consistent ID below.

Coin Samples

samples3.jpg

Gold Jewelry Samples

samples4.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome. That's a lot of work.
Are these fresh or old buries ?
What's your soil and GB conditions ?
I guess you'll be trying the difference single frequencies ? Wonder how gold mode plays the gold jewelry ?
Thank You Charles.