Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Confederate Dog River Sword !!!!

Hey guys,

I found one of those "dream finds" this week. While searching a "hunted out" area, this beautiful thing screamed at me. It was in the middle of 12-15 horse shoes. I found it in Southern Middle Tennessee around the Shelbyville/Tullahoma area. My hunting buddy found eight Confederate Buttons (six Georgia State Seals and two Drooped Wings). It was a find of a lifetime. I was using the ole E-TRAC, but everyone knows it is always the operator anyway.

Lynn

Wow Lynn - awesome find!!! Hard to believe that it could have been missed so many timed before. Sure says something about the abilities of the E-Trac! How deep was it and how close in proximity to those horse shoes? Were the horse shoes also CW era? We got snow on the ground here and I want to get out with my new E-Trac that I bought from you so badly I can taste it! I gotta come down to TN for a visit and finally do some CW hunting! Best Regards, Erik

You know the problem with finding great relics? You just want to find more and more. The sword was about four inches deep. It gave me a strong brass signal, but no iron, even though the blade is iron. There was some modern junk in the field so I had not idea what the object was. The blade was broken with great force. Since I found it around all of those horseshoes, I think the soldier was either using it as a picket pin or was trying to pry off a shoe from his mount. The area I found it in would not be conducive for farming, so a disc or a plow probably did not break it. I did look for both the scabbard and the rest of the blade with no luck. Other hunters could have found both. I have a hunch that maybe the rest of the blade is in the ground vertical, if he used it as a picket pin. As far as the scabbard who knows?

Thanks for all the congrats!!

Lynn

http://www.lostandfoundrelics.com/d1_digging_page.htm

Check out our days hunt at the link above.

YES!! YES!! I am holding a White's MXT. For those of you who know me know that I do use a White's MXT from time to time. I know......I know. But if you will look at the rear of the camo Bronco you will see two Minelabs( Nick's Explorer II and my E-TRAC!!) I just like to share the love a little. LOL I just happened to be photographed holding the MXT. Dwayne Davis took the photos and Dwayne is a White's Dealer. Go Figure.

Lynn

I think you may have something there - between Lynn's CW sword, John in Maryland's George Washington Innagural button, Ray in MO's finds, and your finds - the finds have been truly amazing! Congrats guys!

Lynn,

I hope you marked where you found that sword -- I'd probably go back there with a shovel, if you can, and dig and screen the dirt from a 10' x 10' area centered on where you found the piece. Or minimally go back there in all metal and dig every signal. BTW, why is it called a "Dog River" sword?

Lynn, you dog you found a Dog River Sword. Congrats man. If you need any help digging up the rest of that old metal gimme a call LOL. Glad to see you kickin butt with that E-trac. I love mine, you gave me a great deal on it Thanx.

Later
John

Wow....Lynn..did you get that funny feeling when you first touched that super find?

Man, the aura that field must exude, if you are receptive to that kind of thing.

Whenever I make a find other than modern coinage, it rarely fails to trigger a nostalgic regression to the moment it was 'lost'.

That feeling is especially poignant if the item is of a personal nature, and its lost would have caused sadness to its owner.

"If only...." If only it were some how possible to redress matters and undo the sorrow.

If only.....but time waits for no one..................TheMarshall

TheMarshall,

I actually do feel a strong bond with the past when I dig relics. The neat thing about this camp is that my 4th Great Grandfather was in the general area. He was with the 4th TN Cav. CSA under Forrest/Wheeler. So who knows ...............it could be his or someone he knew. Odds are not, but it is still a very awesome feeling to know I was the first person to touch it 145 years after it was discarded. I only wish they could talk.

Lynn