Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Confused

Thound

3 weeks ago at the woods Iplanted a dime at 8in. and a quarter at 12in.. I then adjusted the vx3 where it would find the coins.CJ and deep silver,RX13, DC90 and the rest factory settings.I went back last week and could not find the coins with the same settings.I was just about to give up after an hour when I tried one last thing, I restored machine to factory settings and then bingo they booth shows up well.What I'm confused about is Ive been led to believe that higher settings go deeper as long as machine is quite and stable.But with cooler factory settings I got better depth and target ID.. I dont believe it is ground related with ground VDI of 87 and phase of 2-3. Also used 10 DD coil. Any explanations anybody

Don't know man. Some times you will get the hallo effect and that is good I believe. If you planted the coins like a spot garden and picked them up then they should have picked them up easy er cause of the hallo ?

It is hard to diagnose without knowing your settings or being there but something wasn't right. It sounds like the preset program is doing a great job.

Sometimes less is more...especially when it comes to RXgain....Because RXg amplifies everything coming back, it also amplifies the noise and the signal "bloom" from any high levels of mineralization in the ground. Many of the most successful users of the V series detectors have learned that moderate RXg (6-80) coupled with a higher AM and or Discriminate sensitivity works much better....also, if you had gotten around to changing the filter from the 5hz to 12.5hz, you most likely had your detector set to miss most everything except the shallow stuff....

It has been my own experience with RXg that it can run very hot and stable, and lose depth RAPIDLY......the power of the V is not in its brute force power, but in its ability to process and extract signals from the return signals. RX gain can be reduced alot substantially without losing depth....

The V series detector depth seems to benefit from 5hz filters coupled with slow sweep speeds, moderate RXg and get your power out of the AM/Disc sense.....

If you had your machine hitting quarters at 12", it sounds like it was in the sweet spot....ground moisture content can also change the depth capabilites of the machine....

Good Luck

The only 2 changes to the machine was dropping RX from 13 to 9 and DC from 90 to 85. 5HZ filter always. Yes the factory program seems good, I have learned already to stay with the factory program on the salt beaches.Maybe a pattern here and that the engineers in Oregano know something that others don't.My only problem is that I can't dig a deep test hole every place I hunt but yet I want max performance but not shooting myself in the foot I just wish there was some way to tell when machine is running to hot.Until I figure that out I'll stay in factory presets.Thanks for the help.

Great advice re the gain. Similar to the signal balance, in that too much is exactly like the high beams in the fog description. With the fowl weather and stiff ground here all I can do is test and tweak over known targets in my yard. Don't forget to try the boost if you want more clarity on a suspected deep target. If you are hitting a quarter at 12" with a signal response that is "dig" - somewhat repeatable with good tonal quality then you better note those settings and try them as the "baseline" for sites in that area. You will likely have to make minor adjustments. Just be sure you have noted the probe and sensitivity info from where you hit on the 12" quarter and compare them to the readings you get elsewhere. This can give you an idea when to back down or jack up the sensitivies and gain. My biggest problem has been I sweep too fast and that will cause targets to be missed. Think about your sweep speed when you returned to find that quarter again... Were you anxious, maybe a moving the coil faster ? Just a thought. Nice how the reset got you back on target.
Good luck!

Good advice here. I usually sweep too fast due to areas I hunt like woods and beaches. On this pre-hunt setup I was sweeoing slow more like searching so that's not the problem. Also I've noticed on my other machine when sens. is to high machine is noisy which was not the case.Due to what yall are saying I believe that RX gain is the silent killer.I'm very impreesed that the factory Hi-Pro settings hit as well as they did on them coins with an RX gain of only 9. I believe there has been some bad advice on these forums about RX settings. I've only had the VX3 about 4mos.so I tend to believe a lot of what I read. I believe I've gotten some excellent advice here. Thanks alot.

It is very easy to make a change and realize or forgot it was made. In the past I've done this, it doesn't happen now. The forgotten changes can make a difference. That's why I suggested renaming your programs. This eliminates the +/- marks. When you see the triangle at the beginning of a new hunt you know your program is not your regular program. I always start the hunt by restoring my program instead of looking for the changes I made at the last hunt.

This post has no answer, we are only guessing.

[attachment 221473 Untitled-1.jpg]

I am very impressed with the Stock HI Pro, that is the only program I use for the type of hunting I do. (Coins and Relics) Keep in mind that a lot of advice is regional and given with good intentions but often what is good in one state is not so good in another. ADVICE...... Use with caution.

More good advice. You know I owe a lot of thanks to a lot of people on these forums for getting me where I'm at with this monster. With this last lesson on RX gain I believe I'm ready to step through the door. I'f I could just get the sounds memorized. Thanks again. One day I hope to be helping people out.