Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Considering a Legend and wanting some feed back from those that have used them

Rick(ND)

I been laid up for a few years and havent used my Sovereign which I love as it is just too heavy, so I am sure the legend is much lighter and balanced and thinking on trying one.
I see some are having some problems with the updates and wonder if I would also have a problem as my Sovereign is so simple to use while some of the others are so hard to learn with so many settings and such. I would need the volume to be loud as my hearing is not too god anymore and many headphone are not loud enough for me.
I had one of the first Minelab 800 when they came out and it was OK to swing and never used it much and sold it when I couldnt get out much and now I want to get out and detect again as I really miss it, Just wanted to see what others that have the Legend like their detectors and any problems they may have had.

Thanks
Rick

I'm going to give one a go myself Rick, but I don't think you will have any problems running it. My dealer told me he would update the one he will send me to the latest version if it hasn't been. I acquired the Nox 600 a year or so ago and had no problem with it. And I'm not overly computer savvy. Get out there and start swinging again, even if it is just short stints starting off. Good luck! HH jim tn

I don't have a lot of time on mine but it is very similar to the Nox with better tones. I preferred both the etrac and CTX but the CTX quit and the etrac is getting long in the tooth. Target separation is envious but ID leaves a lot to be desired in the foil and zinc area , definitely a machine for a "digger" in urban trashy parks. Both the preivously mentioned machines can discern a thin silver ring and similar items from a zinc , the Legend can't.. Reassess your computer skills before doing an update , if you have rudimentary abilities in that department you will most likely have to take the Legend to a computer shop or seek assistance to do the future updates.

I been laid up for a few years and havent used my Sovereign which I love as it is just too heavy, so I am sure the legend is much lighter and balanced and thinking on trying one.
I see some are having some problems with the updates and wonder if I would also have a problem as my Sovereign is so simple to use while some of the others are so hard to learn with so many settings and such. I would need the volume to be loud as my hearing is not too god anymore and many headphone are not loud enough for me.
I had one of the first Minelab 800 when they came out and it was OK to swing and never used it much and sold it when I couldnt get out much and now I want to get out and detect again as I really miss it, Just wanted to see what others that have the Legend like their detectors and any problems they may have had.

Thanks
Rick
Sorry to hear that. Still down and out myself.
I baggage my Sovereign GT.
Used an old blue purse of my wife's.
Cut a hole in the bottom for the coil wire.
Just swinging the shaft and coil.
Can't get much lighter than that.
Hopefully I'll get back at it before winter.
If you just want a new machine.
The Legend is really making headway.

I had to stop for several years due to some health problems but my favorite machine was the sovereign GT and the ex caliber IIthey were both very heavy for me.
When I just finally got back to looking at getting a new detector all these new ones were out wasn’t sure what I was going to get but the legend seem to be the best all-around very light multifunctional basically a VLF and an SMS machine all in one waterproof good for the beach dry land if you’re looking strictly for a beach machine you might be a little better off with the ex caliber but other than that for the price the build quality and all the features you get I don’t think you can beat it for the price.
The knocks 800 is very similar but a few hundred dollars more and might find one or two more targets depending who you ask or you can spend $1000 more and get an XP in hopes of finding the extra target or tool basically comes down to price point I think the legend will find probably 95 to 98% of what the other much more expensive ones will find the wait is about equal the bill quality is excellent and if hearing is important to you the speaker on the legend is very loud not to mention it also comes with a nice set of wireless headphones that pair nicely with it Or you could just use any Bluetooth earbuds for that matter

Thanks
Rick
Rick the lightest detector you will find is the Deus. I had the nox 800 and loved it, but when my shoulder went out I sold it (and regret that error) I bought the Legend, it has its good points as well as bad, and so does the nox or any other detector out there. I use a sling with my detectors now, even the Deus, with my extra heave minelab 4500, I use the harness and sling that came with it and usually the joey coil,

Correction: not "any". While any set of BT headphones or buds will paid and provide audio, regular BT latency (lag) will make them pretty much unusable. You want to have the aptX-LL codec in your headphones to get real time audio.
Lag effecting pinpointing accuracy mainly? I would think all the sounds are still going through. You say unusable as missing audio. Is it really going to be that far off?

Lag effecting pinpointing accuracy mainly? I would think all the sounds are still going through. You say unusable as missing audio. Is it really going to be that far off?
It has to be experienced, I guess… If you have Prime, order some non-LL buds and see for yourself. Yes, we hunt by ear, but it's the sound in addition to knowing where it occurred; guess we could call it "ear-hand coordination". Sweeping the coil at normal speed, we usually hear the target tone while the coil is still over it, or just passed it. With non-LL headphones, the tone could take as long as next sweep to make it through. It can be done if you have no other options for some reason, but it will slow you down by magnitudes. And frankly, it's quite infuriating.

It has to be experienced, I guess… If you have Prime, order some non-LL buds and see for yourself. Yes, we hunt by ear, but it's the sound in addition to knowing where it occurred; guess we could call it "ear-hand coordination". Sweeping the coil at normal speed, we usually hear the target tone while the coil is still over it, or just passed it. With non-LL headphones, the tone could take as long as next sweep to make it through. It can be done if you have no other options for some reason, but it will slow you down by magnitudes. And frankly, it's quite infuriating.
As long as next sweep ? Even for decent earbuds like apple air

As long as next sweep ? Even for decent earbuds like apple air
You want 40ms latency or less, preferably less. If manufacturer doesn't specify the latency, don't go there.
Now, let's have a look at aptX specs, namely – "hardware transmitter latency" part, shall we?…
(TL;DR: no, Apple is not LL)

Ive had my Legend now since mid May. I’ve time on an F75 and was comfortable with settings/sounds/performance. Then I started watching the emergence of the Legend and SMF ability and made the move. The F75 is extremely simple to navigate thru the settings, the Legend is like being a Texan trying to speak Chinese. But, it can be learned as you spend time with it. Mine came with 05 version and I updated to 07 immediately and now have 09.
Updating can be a PIA but again patience and attention to detail can be helpful yet sometimes it goes first try and others spend several hours. NM needs to get ahead of that or they will lose customers.
I dont like the depth meter as they have it. One bar shallow and five bars deep, I find three bars often only 2-3” deep so what do they consider deep?
I had problems initially getting pinpointing to be accurate for me. Dead center coil may not be target and highest pitch may not be either. Often I recover my target a bit closer to the plug wall than center.
I did recover an IH penny at 9” deep but it ID’d as a possible quarter. Most of my recoveries are 5” deep of less and generally I call it correct now by number. I have found older coins that both the F75 and an eTrac and 3030 missed but that could be because of ground moisture or angle of attack.
Im getting much more comfortable with the Legend and when this stupid heat leaves cant wait to go back to area thats been good but now with 09 I could theoretically erase iron falsing and find hidden silver. That Im anxious to try.
The machine is relatively light at 3 lbs and well built and I have the NM wireless headphones and really like not being tethered to the machine.
My two bits.

I have a Legend Pro Pack, with the wireless phones and 6" coil, It is about 4Mos. old. I have already up graded to the 1.09, I have been wanting to tread for a F75 LTD, or a MXT Pro. do any of you have a tread you would like to do.

I have a Legend Pro Pack, with the wireless phones and 6" coil, It is about 4Mos. old. I have already up graded to the 1.09, I have been wanting to tread for a F75 LTD, or a MXT Pro. do any of you have a tread you would like to do.
So you are looking to trade your new legend pro pack for a F75 or MXT?
Don’t like the legend?

I like the Legend, but i have used the MXT so much, i just can't do with out it. I just won't take the time to use the Legend in the trash that i hunt in. It is sane with the F75 , you know when you use one detector so long you just know what it is telling you. I have found dimes with the Legend deeper than any other detector i have used. I can't get use to the 0-60 VDI's i like o-99.

Legend discrimination in a modern trashy park leaves plenty to be desired when compared to the etrac or CTX or probably the V3 family from Whites as well. Not only is the VDI scale a bit out of whack , the tones are not there although they are better than the NOX. Always comes back to why can't Minelab come out with a speedier CTX that's light weight without the ridiculous GPS that jacks the price up needlessly.

Some old timers who hunt by screen can't get used to 0-60 VDI scale.
Not an old timer really but can relate.
To this day more of a beep and dig everything person.
Never did like the vid. Just something else distracting to me and I always second guess it.
Especially jewelry can come up just about anywhere on the numbers so whatever number you dig anyway.
So then its like whats the point. Maybe good for coin hunting which not my thing being its all clad here