Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Counter balance

Donut

Is there a counter balance available for the NOX.
Or is there a DIY
I’ve done a search and all I can find I’d a complete replacement of the total shaft.

Donut, there is one after market product from a Carbon Fibre rod maker.

I put two phone batteries under the arm rest with Velcro home made job but if I run low on battery power I can use a USB and plug in for extra power.
Not the best set up but for me it works.

I hope others will chime in and we can see what they have.

Tony NJ

Ok thanks , by the time my battery gets low I’m ready to park the NOX at my age.
I am amazed that know one has come up with an aftermarket counterweight that could be just put on and off easily.
I just left a message with “Steve”:that it would be a good product he could add to his product lineup.
Doug

Doug,

I can help! LOL!

I see your message here that you "left a message with Steve." I assume you are talking about me? If so, I have not seen any message from you.

However, I'll send you a PM here, momentarily...

Thanks!

Steve

I just sent you a message in your email, wonder why you didn’t recurve it ?
Steve it would be nice if you could produce a counter weight that would fit the OEM Equinox shaft and be able to take on and off easily.
I think it would be a great assets to all of us and your product line up.
Ps; can I have the first one, lol
Your friend Doug

I just checked in my sent box and it was sent

I'm reading these posts to decide if I should get an equinox. This is the first time I've ever heard of a detector of any kind that needs to be counter balanced.

Steve builds a fantastic carbon fibre shaft! He includes info on counter weights in several weights. And works to customize the shaft to YOU. I bought one and never looked back. It is great.

Before hand, I experimented using a water bottle duct taped to the shaft, what a difference!

What is there on this detector that has to be counter balanced that wasn't on any detector before?

Don’t let that detour you and there good right out of the box and with any detector when you enlarge the coil the coils will throw the balance off.
I’m pushing 71 so naturally old farts wear out faster, LOL .
as said in next post below Steve makes carbon fiber complete shafts and he also has a nice counter weight that you can add to it that just screws on and off.
The Nox is one heck of a detector with the multi frequencies. With in two weeks I got three rings (now 5 ) two tokens one bracelet pendent and an earring one Rosevelt dime and one Mercury dime.
The NOX locks on solid.b

Doug

Whenever you change a coil it will change the center of balance . A 6” coil will balance different than and a 11 “ and a 15”

I'm 71 also and I don't see how adding a weight, no matter how small is going to help. If you're scrubbing the ground like you should there should be no problems. I used the 12 inch Sunray coil on the sovereign and it never was a problem,

If you're swinging it in the air it will but scrubbing the ground will balance out the coils.

On older units the head unit was part of the balancing however the Equinox control head is so light the balancing point is farther forward and the extra weight moves the balancing point back and makes it mode comfortable on your wrist

Don't guess I'll get one if they're so out of balance that everyone is buying different shafts and adding weights. Hard to believe that Minelab created such a messed up detector as what we're hearing on these forums.

Think about this. If you take the control head completely off will it balance , No. the heads only weighs ounces. If you were to move the heads forward to balance it at the head tour would only have about a foot and a half between the head and the coil , I hope you are really short then . Heck when they change a radio in an airplane the plane has to be recerttified with the FAA to be able to fly , just a radio can change the balance of a airplane.
Adding a little weight to the NOX just makes it more comfterable.

chuck said:
Don't guess I'll get one if they're so out of balance that everyone is buying different shafts and adding weights. Hard to believe that Minelab created such a messed up detector as what we're hearing on these forums.

Not messed up, just makes it easier for some folks. Depends on height, ability etc. Any detector might need adjustments, try it yourself and see

I agree Minelab Did Not Mess Up.
Chuck, Ky .
You are talking about something you don’t even have, the NOX is great right out of the box and if you Hadn't read this post you would have never known and actually there is no problem. You are taking this post totally wrong . And you will not find anywhere where anyone has complained about the balance.

Like ANY machine when you add a bigger coil the balance will change. When I change from the little 6” coil it will be different than the 11” and if you go to the 15”:common sense tells you there will be a difference. Swing a 5lb brick on the end of s pole , it’s not gonna be the same as a 1/2 pound brick.

Chuck,

The Equinox is a great machine. However, as detectors are made lighter and lighter, the heaviest component ends up being the coil. When the coil is the heaviest component, what ends up happening is that you have that weight (coil) out at the end of a long lever, and with nothing on the other end of the shaft to "balance" it (think of a balance scale -- the kind with the "plates" hanging from the chains, on either side of a fulcrum), you end up imbalanced, and your wrist/arm/shoulder ends up having to "do the work," fighting gravity to keep the coil floating just above the ground.

Look at the CTX 3030 -- a more balanced machine. What do you have? A large BATTERY out at the butt-end of the shaft. Think about White's machines...you have the whole CONTROL BOX back there at the butt end. On the Equinox however, and several other machines, batteries have gotten smaller, control boxes have gotten lighter, and the push recently has been to make machines "as light as possible." However, light -- but imbalanced -- is not necessary ergonomically comfortable. This is mainly apparent when swinging a machine with the very large coils. So, a counterweight can help. While it makes the overall machine weight a bit heavier, it nonetheless makes the machine FEEL lighter -- because if you have counterweighting, you are not doing all the work to keep the coil levitating above the ground as you swing -- the counterweighting is HELPING you, with your hand acting as the fulcrum point.

This is not unique to the Equinox. The AT series from Garrett are very nose-heavy as well.

It's not that the Equinox is an issue, per se. MANY machines are difficult to swing for long periods of time. That's why swing harnesses were developed -- same thing...trying to take some weight off the "coil end" of the rod. So this is NOT an "Equinox only" type of thing. MANY machines, with large coils attached, become nose heavy.

The Equinox is an excellent machine. Give it some time, and your finds bag will confirm that...

Steve

Well Steve you said it better than I did , LOL. Thank You .